Tube warmth

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Tube warmth

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:13 am

Hi there. Do you have any suggestion for a cheap device that could bring tube warmth in my fx setup (someting mono or stereo could be ok for the moment) ...a preamp, a pedal??

I would use it to feed the TimeFactor's input to make it sound like a genuine tape echo, but with a controllable dirt level; something that could range from clean to very dirty.

I know M-Audio's DMP3 sounds like a good deal, but they seems to be too transparent. I'm looking for colored tubes! Colored enough to use it as an effect. Is there anything better Presonus BlueTube/TubePre to get the job done?

If you have suggestions, ebay/Craiglist/Kijiji links or anything to sell, please get in touch.
Thank you very much. :)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Tube warmth

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:48 am

Avoid most of the cheap tube preamps except the Bellari one that actually runs at a proper voltage or the EHX LP2B or whatever it's called.

If I were you I'd be looking at a solid state device for colour rather than a tube device. The most coloured stuff like Neve pres are solid state, and 99% of tape echoes had solid state input stages. I'd be looking at something that can let you alter the tone a bit as well as add a little grit, in fact maybe a sherman filterbank would be a better option, or a sansamp. On the cheap side the ehx germanium od can give you the kind of old broken sounds i've heard from a lot of tape echoes.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:13 am

Similar thread here.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

gtivr6fan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Fifth
Band: Hotboxer, Supremotron

Post by gtivr6fan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:38 am

I bought a ART TPSII several years back when money was tight, replaced the tube with a EH12ax7... for the price, not too shabby. Adds a little beef.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:56 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Avoid most of the cheap tube preamps except the Bellari one that actually runs at a proper voltage or the EHX LP2B or whatever it's called.

If I were you I'd be looking at a solid state device for colour rather than a tube device. The most coloured stuff like Neve pres are solid state, and 99% of tape echoes had solid state input stages. I'd be looking at something that can let you alter the tone a bit as well as add a little grit, in fact maybe a sherman filterbank would be a better option, or a sansamp. On the cheap side the ehx germanium od can give you the kind of old broken sounds i've heard from a lot of tape echoes.
kind of out of left field but could be very cool--check ebay for an old altec solid state preamp or even an ampex solid state preamp that's been pulled from an old reel-to-reel (yes, i know purists hate this). the market interest for vintage ampex and altec stuff is primarily in their tube gear, so you can often get solid state stuff for a steal. so you could get a cool-looking vintage rack piece that would likely give you vintage-appropriate color...and a useable preamp for other applications as well.

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:00 am

gtivr6fan wrote:I bought a ART TPSII several years back when money was tight, replaced the tube with a EH12ax7... for the price, not too shabby. Adds a little beef.
+1
i did the exact same thing with mine, with also great results. and as stab said, a good preamp can colour the sound in a way that you would like. my favourite choices is a black lion audio preamp for this task or if i need more destructive result a shermann fb2.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:03 am

Thanks for your useful answers. I've checked the previous thread and I came with this option: EHX LPB-2ube
Sounds like a good choice, isn't it?

Filterbank? To me is like the atom bomb for killing an ant! No??! :)

Btw Novielo, I took your advice and ordered a Lexicon Vortex. I should receive it soon..

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:21 am

just think of it as a Carthaginian Solution.
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Scories

Post by Scories » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:25 am

Carthaginian Solution - Please forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean ..especially in the context?
Thanks.

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:58 am

Scories wrote:Thanks for your useful answers. I've checked the previous thread and I came with this option: EHX LPB-2ube
Sounds like a good choice, isn't it?
LPB2ube

+1

Good and flexible... you can use it stereo or you can cascade the channels in mono for more gain.

The Tube EQ from EHX is great too... but not that "warm" as it's more hi-fi... but great in an effects loop.

Scories

Post by Scories » Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:46 am

Thanks for the feedback! I'll probably get one sooner or later.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 am

carthaginian solution = overkill

when hannibal was to invade rome, the current cesar of rome sent his troops to burn the city of carthage where hannibal was from, thus totally destroying his homeland
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 am

Joey wrote:carthaginian solution = overkill

when hannibal was to invade rome, the current cesar of rome sent his troops to burn the city of carthage where hannibal was from, thus totally destroying his homeland
Bill & Ted wrote:Most excellent figures of history. We should totally collect those dudes for our history report.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Scories

Post by Scories » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:14 pm

Joey wrote:carthaginian solution = overkill

Hey, thanks for the short history lesson!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:14 am

Has anyone used the presonus blue tubes? Quality wise are the single and double versions the same?(they seem to roughly go for 100 used on eBay).

This thread popped up and I've been looking at the same thing. Warmth coloring for digital stuff and a nice little boost for analog stuff. Like mentioned in the thread my RE-201 does a nice job but having a tube unit will probably come in handy.
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3: