Tube warmth

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Re: Tube warmth

Post by Joey » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:30 am

speaking of sherman filterbank...

heres my xtk through the filterbank and audio damage EOS reverb

everything ends here

No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:38 am

Joey wrote:everything ends here

Hey that sounds familiar...
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:44 am

RobotHeroes wrote:Has anyone used the presonus blue tubes? Quality wise are the single and double versions the same?(they seem to roughly go for 100 used on eBay).

This thread popped up and I've been looking at the same thing. Warmth coloring for digital stuff and a nice little boost for analog stuff. Like mentioned in the thread my RE-201 does a nice job but having a tube unit will probably come in handy.
I have never tried the Presonus BlueTube, I've been searching a lot about it and many people mentionned that their 'sweet spot' is hard to find and that they become more unstable as time goes by. EHX 2ube seems to have a better reputation, a greater control and a good sound quality.. and a good warm sound. Will buy one soon...

Btw, a tube preamp + a re-201 will sound as warm as a genuine analog oven!!

RobotHeroes
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: a toothed wheel that engages another toothed mechanism in order to change the speed or direction of transmitted motion

Post by RobotHeroes » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 am

Good to know. I was looking at the EHX 2ube as well but keeping an eye open for rack units or something that would fit in a rack that I can adjust from a front panel.
Scories wrote:Btw, a tube preamp + a re-201 will sound as warm as a genuine analog oven!!
The snuggie of audio recording!
"*Automatic Gainsay, you ignorant slut." - Primal Drive

"thanks guys. RobotHeroes, your avatar is the single most important thing on this website. ever. it reminds me that the world actually can be a good place." - rjd2

:happy3:

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:34 pm

Lower end Presonus gear with toobs = non distinct mush, if any difference at all.

Bellari makes tubes that run at full voltage if one must simply go the single 12ax7 for warmth route. You need to swap out some opamps and change the pots, but it sounds decent afterwards. Some of the upper end ART units sound okay too.

If you really want that starved tube sound, I wouldn't look any further than PAIA stuff. I think they come closest to utilizing the technology in a useful way.

Otherwise, there a million other inexpensive ways to find warmth. Old Akai/Roberts R2Rs (modified for dual tube staging), old power amps with lots of iron, old Masco PAs, the like.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Scories

Post by Scories » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:40 pm

tallowwaters wrote:If you really want that starved tube sound, I wouldn't look any further than PAIA stuff. I think they come closest to utilizing the technology in a useful way.
PAIA - Yeah, I heard of them. They have many models, some are more suited for guitars; which one would you choose?
9305KEN HiFi TubeHead Kit
9305HSR Rack Mount TubeHead Kit
http://www.paia.com/tubestuff.asp

Both are strereo. First one is called the hi-fi and the 2nd one is apparently made for exagerating the tube sound. Sounds like a good choice. Now I'll try to track down some reviews.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:23 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Lower end Presonus gear with toobs = non distinct mush, if any difference at all.

Bellari makes tubes that run at full voltage if one must simply go the single 12ax7 for warmth route. You need to swap out some opamps and change the pots, but it sounds decent afterwards. Some of the upper end ART units sound okay too.

If you really want that starved tube sound, I wouldn't look any further than PAIA stuff. I think they come closest to utilizing the technology in a useful way.

Otherwise, there a million other inexpensive ways to find warmth. Old Akai/Roberts R2Rs (modified for dual tube staging), old power amps with lots of iron, old Masco PAs, the like.
+1--imho and experience those low-end standalone tube units do little more than introduce unwanted noise into the signal. which is basically what their mfgr's claim to do, except the clam/expectation is that it will be desired noise. which, for the application at hand, may work, admittedly....but i still think you'd get more bang for buck/satisfaction with an offbeat/vintage piece...not something high end and sought after, obviously, but something weird/obscure/forgotten/neglected for not being toob (like cool old solid state preamps).

novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

Post by novielo » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:25 pm

Scories wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:If you really want that starved tube sound, I wouldn't look any further than PAIA stuff. I think they come closest to utilizing the technology in a useful way.
PAIA - Yeah, I heard of them. They have many models, some are more suited for guitars; which one would you choose?
9305KEN HiFi TubeHead Kit
9305HSR Rack Mount TubeHead Kit
i got the tube head model. nice rig but sometime it's a little to harsh for my taste BUT since you build it you can change how symmetrical they are and it does a huge difference in the sound.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:33 pm

Yeah, the PAIA tubehead can be especially harsh, but I chain it back into itself to make it even more harsh. It can do subtle though.

Scories

Post by Scories » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Yeah, and that fatman synth seems to sound swell.. in a dirty analog way of course! :)

Hair

Post by Hair » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am

How about this $150 bad boy? Not sure where it's starved plate (I remember reading somewhere that it runs the tubes kind of lean but that's all I know for sure): http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/B-283 ... sor+Buffer

For me it's main attraction is that it's stereo

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:22 pm

Hair wrote:How about this $150 bad boy? Not sure where it's starved plate (I remember reading somewhere that it runs the tubes kind of lean but that's all I know for sure): http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/B-283 ... sor+Buffer

Thanks for the suggestion, that's very interesting. The reviews on their site are over-the-top, the design is good and the price is low. The only drawback is that it seems to use RCA inputs, but that's not a big deal. That's a very tempting choice for a warm non-destructive option, but I think I might get a PAiA kit for that, eventually.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:20 pm

Scories wrote:
Hair wrote:How about this $150 bad boy? Not sure where it's starved plate (I remember reading somewhere that it runs the tubes kind of lean but that's all I know for sure): http://www.grantfidelity.com/site/B-283 ... sor+Buffer

The only drawback is that it seems to use RCA inputs.
It's HiFi gear.

Scories

Post by Scories » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:50 pm

yeah, i know that. ;)

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:29 pm

I believe the Roman soldiers salted the ground of Carthage so no crops would grow there. Them's gangstas
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S