Slow down audio without shifting pitch

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
supercluster

Slow down audio without shifting pitch

Post by supercluster » Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:41 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a piece of software that allows one to slow down audio without distorting the pitch... I know i've seen this in the past but I'm having a hard time rediscovering it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
Doepfer A-100, MPC1000, Alesis Ion
Roland Re-20, Moog MF-105, Moog MF-102, boss me50-b

For sale: Yamaha RS7000, Korg Kontrol49

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Re: Slow down audio without shifting pitch

Post by Zarith » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:35 am

This is called "Time Stretching". Most audio softwares have this feature. It's nothing exceptional.

A short list:

Vegas
Cubase
Wavelab
Logic
Acid
Pro-Tools
Reaper
Sonar
Digital Performer
Samplitude

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:31 pm

ableton live

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:07 pm

Here's a recent thread about time stretching: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... =3&t=53528

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:43 pm

Before time stretching was available, I'd run slowed down (or sped up) samples through a pitch shifter. I used a Korg DVP-1 back then.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:27 pm

There are also different algorithms used by different apps. Ableton Live 8 uses élastique Pro(by ZPlane) for its Complex Pro warp mode, and élastique efficient for the other warp modes. Reaper offers both élastique Pro and Dirac LE. Serato has its own algorithm called "Pitch 'n' Time", but it is absolutely dreadful for slowdown stretch. I'm told the Dirac algorithm in Wavelab is the best of that bunch, but it really just depends on what material is being stretched, how much time you need to stretch it by, and how fast your CPU is, if you need real-time(non-destructive) processing.

A bad algorithm will usually just sound glitchy, most obviously in the transients of drums.(Kicks and Snares get mushed) Ableton Live tries to get around this by letting you adjust the markers for transients. You would also get such artifacts as sounding "choppy", having a short echo-like effect, and higher frequencies become very stiff and unnatural. A good algorithm will sound more natural, with higher multiples of the original length, but it comes at the cost of more CPU, and even the best ones will still sound somewhat unnatural the more you stretch. Best to try out different types and use your ears.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.