What is your "Sound"?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rickyd

What is your "Sound"?

Post by rickyd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:21 pm

Do your productions have a special and uniform sonic character that makes them recognizable from the rest? If so, how would you describe it? What contributes to your sound? Is it certain drums/instruments you use, or is it the certain effects you apply while mixing?

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: What is your "Sound"?

Post by pflosi » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 pm

tb 303
re 201
ms 20 leads
minimoog bass

;)

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:04 pm

- Orchestral samples and (conventional sounding) synths together.
- Wet mixes
- Full range mixes
- Wall of sound

As for what conventional sounding synths are: *not* weird a-tonal stuff you get from randomly patching things together with extreme modulations. More things like rich pads, DX pianos, basses, percussive sounds and anything else that feels and behaves like real instruments.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:04 pm

My main sound is the TB-303 - for generating basslines and liquid leadlines, i'll use effects on the 303 to give it more movement in the sound-stage.

Machinedrum UW's - for all my percussion needs, although i will often drop in another drum machine like the 606 or 909.

Fantom Xa - it has onboard sampling and sample storage, plus it contains many of my own unique programmed patches from analogue leads to string machines, choirs, orchestral type pads and sound effects.

I can make a whole album just using the 303 and drum machine. Often i will use my effects like instruments when i record to get different effect structures and movement. Sometimes i will use VST plugins for the same purpose.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:45 pm

random shape modulation on pads and leads
noise
reversed parts

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:10 pm

I would DEFINITELY say that my prodcutions have a unique sonic character. I do have certain drums/instruments that contribute to my sound, but it's mainly how I mix everything. It's like 50/50 when it comes to those aspects, and my sound relies on both.

My productions come out with a sonic touch that is very pristine and 3D, with a "glossy" type polish layered over analog tube warmth (Which gives a character of it's own). This is uniform from track to track in all of my productions.

Most songs these days are mixed fairly dry (Very little reverb) and compressed sounding, leading to little uniqueness in sonic quality IMO.

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:30 pm

I like when all the elements of the mix stick together and nothing cuts too much through the mix. I like a natural sound, concise tracks, polyrythmic elements, floating elements, hidden melodies and an overall wobbly/mind-numbing feeling. I avoid virtuoso performances and established standards. I only compose when I think something new and different comes to my mind.

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:38 pm

my sound has been described as quite recognizable. Maybe because I'm isolated, learned always to create my own sounds, does not use computers, and record a lot of sounds from the rainforest.

Has been described as a dense sound, with multiple variants on several frequencies. Sometimes I use too much sounds, due to multiple patch layers. I love to combine sweet harmonies with harsh, detuned drums.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:09 pm

Scories wrote:I like when all the elements of the mix stick together and nothing cuts too much through the mix. I like a natural sound, concise tracks, polyrythmic elements, floating elements, hidden melodies and an overall wobbly/mind-numbing feeling. I avoid virtuoso performances and established standards. I only compose when I think something new and different comes to my mind.

I like hearing tracks like that. From the way you describe everything, it sounds like you make some pretty warm tracks, mixed cleanly. By "natural", so you mean very little use of fx, or the type of instruments you use?

Is there anywhere I can go to listen to some of your stuff?

rickyd

Post by rickyd » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:14 pm

balma wrote:my sound has been described as quite recognizable. Maybe because I'm isolated, learned always to create my own sounds, does not use computers, and record a lot of sounds from the rainforest.

Has been described as a dense sound, with multiple variants on several frequencies. Sometimes I use too much sounds, due to multiple patch layers. I love to combine sweet harmonies with harsh, detuned drums.

Wow, New Age type of stuff? I usually enjoy it when people record their sounds from natural environments. So your sound can be described as "Organic" then.

It's rare, but when I usually make a New Age type of track and need natural sounds, I usually just go to one of the fx sections on one of my synths. I never thought of going to an actual environment to record sounds. I always thought it wouldn't come out right in my mixes.

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:23 pm

in short, I am pursuing the Ultimate Wet Fart sound.
Once it has been successfully 'ultimatized', I will then douse the desk w/ some 180 proof 'oonshine, and proceed to immolate my entire studio in celebration - and then retire - at long last, oh-so satisfied. And take up banjo.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Post by balma » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:30 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Ultimate Wet Fart sound.
Cool man, I just did one on my desk, uf!

I noticed that on VSE, the track area is not very visited.

I try, as much as I can, to change the point of view when composing a track, because I feel some desesperation, , to avoid getting stuck. To DO NOT PROGRESS. Then, I browse forums, listen aleatory music from others, erase all my patches (sometimes those f**k accidents are good) ask for other's opinion.

And then, say: WTF!!!! Why I am taking this s**t so seriously??? have fun!!!!!

Music is something, so, so beautiful..... she's the most lovely thing on the universe....

If you have time, this is NOT good representation of my sound. This is an unusually happy track. And has hundreds of sounds. Latin sounds, mello pads, congas, bongoes, guitars, trumpets....

Now I do not use almost any acoustic sound. I'm evolving a very dark and gritty minimal sound. Full of sounds like insects, burning flames, crunchies, cracks, with low fi, distant pads. I'm becoming lo-fi, and lots of bit crushing and wrong timing.

http://www.crbeats.com/downloads.php?vi ... &df_id=404

scroll down, click on download at your bottom right
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 am

My sound is currently characterized by the extensive use of loud and messy drums recorded through a single mic, traditional pop structures, and vintage synths providing most of the non-percussion sounds.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Scories
Gear: Micromoog, JX-3P, Minikorg 700, Z1

Post by Scories » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:07 am

rickyd wrote:
Scories wrote:I like when all the elements of the mix stick together and nothing cuts too much through the mix. I like a natural sound, concise tracks, polyrythmic elements, floating elements, hidden melodies and an overall wobbly/mind-numbing feeling. I avoid virtuoso performances and established standards. I only compose when I think something new and different comes to my mind.

I like hearing tracks like that. From the way you describe everything, it sounds like you make some pretty warm tracks, mixed cleanly. By "natural", so you mean very little use of fx, or the type of instruments you use?

Is there anywhere I can go to listen to some of your stuff?

Sure you can:
http://www.galerie-stratique.com (click the audio tab)
Or: http://www.lastfm.fr/music/Galerie+Stratique

Hope you'll like the sound as much as the description! :)
Thanks for the interest.

By natural, I mean a very light use of resonnance and reverb. I rather use sounds that evokes the elements like water or open spaces. Some accoustic sounds too. I don't use too much effects, but I like delays, phasers and panned filtering.

dr.sine
Gear: not nearly enough
Band: Brandeau
Location: 44° 16′ 58″ N, 105° 30′ 19″ W ...far away from intelligent conversation...

Post by dr.sine » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:01 am

i tend to throw various delays and reverbs on tons of s**t... sometimes saturated to h**l and sometimes just subtle enough that one wouldnt notice it's there until it's taken away from the mix.
i favor sine waves (see my user name) and triangle waves.
and apparently alot of my tunes would be good to put on while your cruising the highway outside of town with a pretty girl in the passenger seat.
My mind doth rove of its own accord.