What is your "Sound"?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: What is your "Sound"?

Post by tekkentool » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:19 pm

Overall poor mixing.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:06 pm

:lol:

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:13 pm

OKsrsly....my current sound is acoustic&electric guitars and synths over mid-tempo hip-hop beats and Berlin-school sequences rammed thru BBD and tape delay, H3000 and tube amps. But this is all talk ain't it; I'm not done yet, and it's not all ready to share, i'm afraid!

For a taste here's something I did the other day:
"VELOCETTE"

It's 3 x overdubbed voyagerOS thru an H3000; main reverb is the Rumour.
Drums are 2 x Wavedrum.
Last edited by shaft9000 on Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:10 pm

tekkentool wrote:Overall poor mixing.

I too have a sound coloured by impatience and a lack of talent, unique in its ability to combine classy synthesizers with modern recording equipment, producing a result that sounds like ripe camambert smells. I prefer to say it's an aquired taste, but who am I kidding?

Slightly more seriously, I think my best stuff tends to be the more spontaneous, using fewer pieces of gear. I never seem to finish anything off, so have no good demos to post, but layering simple things together works for me.

alspacka

Post by alspacka » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:13 pm

amens, thinks, 909s and 303s

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:46 pm

nathanscribe wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Overall poor mixing.

I too have a sound coloured by impatience and a lack of talent, unique in its ability to combine classy synthesizers with modern recording equipment, producing a result that sounds like ripe camambert smells. I prefer to say it's an aquired taste, but who am I kidding?

Slightly more seriously, I think my best stuff tends to be the more spontaneous, using fewer pieces of gear. I never seem to finish anything off, so have no good demos to post, but layering simple things together works for me.
i could not have said it any better. although lately i've started to try to finish things and group ideas together, which has been somewhat rewarding. i think my latest overall sound is having the prophet '08 be my lead and atmospheres most of the time. everything else tends to be thrown in off of the motif 8 and the microkorg. i've gotten more use out of the microkorg in the past two years than i have any of these other synths combined. all my drums were on the emx-1, but i'm slowly creeping over to the drumtraks for a dirtier sound.

i'm bad at mixing and finalizing my music - but i just can't bring myself to pay someone else right now to do it for me. i'm actually starting to enjoy the more old school electro vinyl/cassette tape finished sound of my work...but thats the sorta stuff i listen to anyways, so it could just all be a weird interest on my part that forms my final sound.

feel free to listen for yourself.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:33 am

I put a lot of emphasis on mixing. Bringing things in and out, and keeping things moving. Its really important to bring a live element to the mixing process. I use Ableton with an APC40 and do several mix takes of which I choose the one that captures that live energy the best. I always use a sonic maximizer and limiter on the master channel. I compress and EQ everything individually, and frequently sidechain different tracks. My favorite fx to use is easily the filter delay. I love adding delays to tracks to add complexity and a trancey element. After live mixing a track, I will bring it into arrangement mode and do any sort of edits etc. Finally, I usually master the whole track at the end and go for a very crisp, bright sound with more emphasis on higher frequencies. Also, I love using Reaktor to design weird sound fx and soundscapes. It has amazing grainshifting fx.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:19 am

impaler42 wrote:I put a lot of emphasis on mixing. Bringing things in and out, and keeping things moving. Its really important to bring a live element to the mixing process. I use Ableton with an APC40 and do several mix takes of which I choose the one that captures that live energy the best. I always use a sonic maximizer and limiter on the master channel. I compress and EQ everything individually, and frequently sidechain different tracks. My favorite fx to use is easily the filter delay. I love adding delays to tracks to add complexity and a trancey element. After live mixing a track, I will bring it into arrangement mode and do any sort of edits etc. Finally, I usually master the whole track at the end and go for a very crisp, bright sound with more emphasis on higher frequencies. Also, I love using Reaktor to design weird sound fx and soundscapes. It has amazing grainshifting fx.

any chance you have some examples online we could listen to? i'm curious to hear since you've got such a better grasp on the backend of the recording process than others here...err...well, at least myself definitely!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

impaler42
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Ensoniq Fizmo, Yamaha FS1R, E-mu Ultra Proteus, Korg Wavestation SR, Waldorf Blofeld
Band: Grainshifter

Post by impaler42 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:08 am

www.myspace.com/shythespyder

The tracks on there are works in progress. I still have a long ways to go, but those tracks are good examples of how I go about the recording process.
electronic music forever

http://www.grainshifter.com[/url]

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:33 am

my sound?

-too much low end, mostly since I don't have monitors, so I mix using my Denon headset. never ever sounds as good on my cd-player as it does with my headset. you might say it's made for headset listening...

-also, I tend to almost always use the same fx patch on my Monomachine. it's the chorus triggered every other 16th step (1,3,5,7,9 etc) with parameter-locked filter, delay, sample rate reduction etc settings. always set to 16ths delay time, and always recieving pads with a different delay setting. after a while, I couldn't bring myself to turn that off, since it just brings things together in a nice way (I think), without it sounding too obvious. noone ever mentioned it, so that must mean it's a good thing ;)

-a battle between pure atmospheres and busy drums. I like things to build and build, so more often than not, my tracks start out slowly and low, and ends in a wall of stuttering drums, delay and reverb settings driven to max.

-and I mix everything in the box, meaning I just record what comes out of the mixer once it sounds like I want it to on the headphones. expecting this to change when I order some genelecs.

and that prretty much sums it up. sound examples on bandcamp and myspace and whatnot. "Squidstep" is a good example of all those elements together

megamanx
Gear: nord lead2, roland sh101, yamaha cs5,mono/poly, sub37,Ms20, Chroma polaris,prodigy, esq-1, jx3p
Band: Thieves & Co.

Post by megamanx » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:36 pm

the sound of the universe...

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:21 am

TrondC wrote:my sound?

-too much low end, mostly since I don't have monitors, so I mix using my Denon headset. never ever sounds as good on my cd-player as it does with my headset. you might say it's made for headset listening...

-also, I tend to almost always use the same fx patch on my Monomachine. it's the chorus triggered every other 16th step (1,3,5,7,9 etc) with parameter-locked filter, delay, sample rate reduction etc settings. always set to 16ths delay time, and always recieving pads with a different delay setting. after a while, I couldn't bring myself to turn that off, since it just brings things together in a nice way (I think), without it sounding too obvious. noone ever mentioned it, so that must mean it's a good thing ;)

-a battle between pure atmospheres and busy drums. I like things to build and build, so more often than not, my tracks start out slowly and low, and ends in a wall of stuttering drums, delay and reverb settings driven to max.

-and I mix everything in the box, meaning I just record what comes out of the mixer once it sounds like I want it to on the headphones. expecting this to change when I order some genelecs.

and that prretty much sums it up. sound examples on bandcamp and myspace and whatnot. "Squidstep" is a good example of all those elements together

hey man i have to say - i like your sound, but i would dig your songs even more if you put it out without drums. nothing at all against your drums...its just your pads and atmospheres sound very cool, they would be great ambient music...ya know? very cool stuff overall though.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:04 am

:)

I have a few more ambient tracks out there as well, the Ghostmind EP is stripped down to just hats and a bassdrum/bassline :) and I'm split between two camps: the beat-driven techno music that I'm mostly into lately, and the dub/ambient stuff. both are drum driven, maybe time to make some pure atmosphere ;)

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:54 am

alspacka wrote:amens, thinks, 909s and 303s
I'd like to hear some of this!

for me it's acid lines and general idiocy.
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by rharris07 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:14 pm

TrondC wrote::)

I have a few more ambient tracks out there as well, the Ghostmind EP is stripped down to just hats and a bassdrum/bassline :) and I'm split between two camps: the beat-driven techno music that I'm mostly into lately, and the dub/ambient stuff. both are drum driven, maybe time to make some pure atmosphere ;)
you should do both! i know everyone says focus in on one style in particular you're good at and go from there...but h**l, with all the machines we have - exploring them is part of the excitement and if you can create several different musical styles out of them, h**l go for it. if you listen to my page i have random kinds of music all over it...now i have several albums worth of music for each style, so i do focus in - i just expand to do this and that and the other thing at different times. i like switching mind-sets from exploring pure noise to trying to write piano and string pieces, from disco to horror...its a h**l of a lot of fun, and can really help you push your machines to make them worth the cash!