Lexicon LXP-15 / using reverb & delay live

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Lexicon LXP-15 / using reverb & delay live

Post by portland » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 am

I'm borrowing one of these right now (it needed some deoxidization on the input knob and the buttons).
I'm going to be using this, a TC D-two, and a Lexicon MPX-100 (neither of which I've tested yet) for live effects for normal bands. Anyway, I like the medium/small rooms on the LXP-15, but the halls seem terrible. I haven't tested the plates yet - apparently these are the best part. The pitch shifter seems surprisingly good for a unit this old / cheap (or maybe the 01x just has an inexcusably bad pitch shifter... to match its hall reverb). What do you think of this unit?

Anyway, we talk about recording a lot, but do you use many effects for live music? The professionals say to use as little reverb as possible ("back it off until you don't notice it, then a little more"), but they bring along their lexicons and eventides none the less.

As for delay, guitarists usually have that taken care of. Do you use delay on anything, and does the band ask for something particular, or do you judge yourself if it would be beneficial?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Lexicon LXP-15 / using reverb & delay live

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:19 am

I do a lot of live mixing, and the effects I use are always completely dependent on the sound of the band. Some bands I completely bury the vocal in reverb, some I mix dry. Some I'll use a plate, some I'll use a big hall, some I'll just have a subtle amount of a small room, it all depends on the sound of the band.

One semi-rule I figured out is that the slower the tempo, the more verb a song can take without getting messy. Often if a song has quite a full arrangement I'll use a slapback delay instead of a reverb on the vocal, it still gives it a sense of space and makes things sound better without taking up too much room in the mix.

I usually work quite closely with the bands I mix so I talk to them about what kind of effects they want and where, and I'll also suggest things to them sometimes, or if I do something unusual I'll talk to them about it afterwards and see what they think/thought of it. Some bands have a very fixed idea of what they want and others are quite open to suggestion or just let me do whatever I want, the only way you'll know what the situation is is by talking with them about it.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:01 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:Some bands I completely bury the vocal in reverb, some I mix dry.
Really? What wet/dry percentage do you mean by that? I ask because I had a very bad experience with that a few weeks ago. The band wanted a Holy Grail reverb pedal on their lead vocalist (set to 70% or something!) and they wouldn't let me take the pedal back to FOH to keep things under control. Even with the mic rung out, eventually there was so much feedback that we had to lower the vocal so much that it could hardly be heard. Eventually the band had to just unplug the pedal during the show, so there was about 20 minutes of both of both parties being really pissed off at one another.
Stab Frenzy wrote: One semi-rule I figured out is that the slower the tempo, the more verb a song can take without getting messy. Often if a song has quite a full arrangement I'll use a slapback delay instead of a reverb on the vocal, it still gives it a sense of space and makes things sound better without taking up too much room in the mix.

I usually work quite closely with the bands I mix so I talk to them about what kind of effects they want and where, and I'll also suggest things to them sometimes, or if I do something unusual I'll talk to them about it afterwards and see what they think/thought of it. Some bands have a very fixed idea of what they want and others are quite open to suggestion or just let me do whatever I want, the only way you'll know what the situation is is by talking with them about it.
Good tips, thanks.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:56 pm

Don't know what percentage, I run the fx off sends then bring them back to the desk 100% wet and just push up the fader til it sounds right. :D

I have one band I mix that use a Holy Grail in line with the mic but they're great musicians and we have it sorted in soundcheck so there's no problems. If the band don't let you do what you want then they have to take responsibility for what happens, a lot of the time they think if something worked fine at home or in practice it'll work at the gig, they don't realise the foldback is a crapload louder than what they've been using.