Processing the ER-1?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Processing the ER-1?

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:46 am

I'm wondering what everyone has tried as far as post-processing this drum machine. Now, I know that the ER-1 has a bad rap for snare drums, but has anyone tried combining the four analog drum parts, all being copied variations of the analog Bass Drum, some pitched higher/some pitched lower and then processed it with outboard effects?

Sort of like using it as an all-Bass drum machine like a JoMox MBase01. With the added perk, of course of still having the cymbals/hats/claps to sequence with.

I'm using the Alesis ModFX Smashup right now, but actually, I havent tried combining the four parts like this and combining the compressor...Will try tommorro....

Thanks.
For Trade: |Ensoniq ESQ-1|Yamaha CS1-x|Alesis Micron|

anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Re: Processing the ER-1?

Post by anoteoftruth » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:33 am

I'm interested in hearing anybody's replies to this as well.. I never touch my ER-1 anymore, cause on it's own without processing I find it sounds thin and dull.... but I've wondered at times how it might sound if I process it more... I'm thinking of trying to put it through my Voyagers filter to see if I can give it some more warmth or at least a fuller sound. I think the machine itself has the potential for some cool effects sounds at least, paired with some creative after effects or processing.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:58 pm

ER-1 through a Boss SYB-3 and Boss PS-2. playing around with the different effects of the stomp boxes.. still not good sounding, but hella fun :)

http://www.nrk.no/urort/Laat/201765/default.aspx

xenomorph313
Gear: | ESQ-1 | TG-33 | CS1x | micron | TR-606 | MC-50 | ES-1 | RY-8 | SU-10 | SYB-3 |

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:13 pm

TrondC wrote:ER-1 through a Boss SYB-3 and Boss PS-2. playing around with the different effects of the stomp boxes.. still not good sounding, but hella fun :)

Not bad, my friend. Bass Drum may need a little compression, is the only thing I would suggest. That's why I've been wondering if anyone has seen one modified to include individual outs. That way compression can go on the bass drum, PS-2 can go on other sounds, etc.

The sound I'm going for is a 909 kick. Why is it so hard to reproduce that sound without buying an actual 909?

Wouldn't that be something if someone did a sound test comparing 909-BD to ER-1-BD and noone could tell the difference! 8-)

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:21 pm

used to put one of the mks osc to audio and have the er1 trigger bass sounds and such.. fun. didnt like mine in general, but a lot of people swear its great with processing

xenomorph313

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:39 pm

ned-ryarson wrote:used to put one of the mks osc to audio and have the er1 trigger bass sounds and such.. fun. didnt like mine in general, but a lot of people swear its great with processing
Cool! What make and model machine were you triggering?

Thanks

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:56 am

done the part layering thing with bass sounds and it's great. also most overdrives/distortions sound good on the er1 as does pitch shifting, analog (or just lo-fi) delays, and heavy compression. tracking it through a guitar amp can also yield great sounds, just depends what your after.

lately i've been running the synth parts out of the left out through a zvex mastotron followed by a cheapo danelectro flanger for some animation, and the hi hats, clap and crash from the right out through a phi echolution delay.

xenomorph313

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:11 pm

I know it would be a PITA, but I think it would be awesome if someone did a website on the ER-1, with full Knob setting diagrams. You wouldn't by any chance care to share the knob setting information for the synth parts you are describing for your bass drum would you? (Wouldn't that be COOL! ;) )

divineaudio
Gear: far too much.
Band: metria

Post by divineaudio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:21 pm

sure. i'll dig through some of my patterns and check out the settings. i'll try to get some audio samples recorded too and post them in the next few days.

xenomorph313

effects:
| PS-2 | | Smashup |

Post by xenomorph313 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:31 am

You will?! :o Wow, you are dedicated, and awesome! ;)

Thanks!

ned-ryarson

Post by ned-ryarson » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:30 am

xenomorph313 wrote:
ned-ryarson wrote:used to put one of the mks osc to audio and have the er1 trigger bass sounds and such.. fun. didnt like mine in general, but a lot of people swear its great with processing
Cool! What make and model machine were you triggering?

Thanks

the micro korg.. yeah you put oscillator 1 to audio i think and its great for jams!

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:55 pm

TrondC wrote:ER-1 through a Boss SYB-3 and Boss PS-2. playing around with the different effects of the stomp boxes.. still not good sounding, but hella fun :)

oo

This is GREAT-sounding stuff on a good-looking website . . . :music:

Thanks . . . :)

oo
BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Fri May 14, 2010 7:13 am

I've been stuck with an ER-mkII since 2006. For a while, I wrote it off as a 'Rave machine". I would usually slow down the presets (from 170+,wtf?) & tweak them to suit. Still that wasn't always enough, as I like the dirtier Skinny Puppy/Joy Division sound; to get this I would run the ER thru a Boss ME-50b bass multi-effector. This gave me an easy way to control what ever drum machine needed to be processed. At one point I was running a Boss DR-110, Korg Rhythm 55b, Er-MkII & a Sound Master Disco Beat, thru the boss pedal.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

Mr. Sound Boy King

Post by Mr. Sound Boy King » Tue May 18, 2010 8:56 pm

I like to run the ER-1 through a Jomox M-Resonator. You can get some really disgusting, fat tones out of it using all the weird feedback & FM options on the M-Res. Used that combo for some of the drum parts on the tune "Mad Derelict" on this album by a band I am in, Thermometerometer (free download): http://www.immigrantbreastnest.com/releases/ibn010/

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am

I was always planning on running an ER-1 + MBase01.. For the exact reason that then I could layer multiple synth parts for the snare (and have more varied bassdrums)

Also then I would be able to separate the drums better for processing/mixing - Bassdrum, Snares + hats/standard perc, Special Perc

I had the ER-1mk2,

Now I dont..

But I have the MBase01 and I have been thinking about getting an ER-1 again now...
definitely on my mind.