First iPad DAW application is here--$40!!!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

First iPad DAW application is here--$40!!!

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 pm

From the press release:

StudioTrack is a powerful songwriting tool for musicians who want to capture musical ideas and record songs on the iPad. Every channel includes a reverb send and a configurable effects rack. Effect options include a delay, EQ, and a compressor.

The master channel has a Reverb Return knob as well as a parametric EQ and a stereo master compressor-limiter. StudioTrack multitrack recorder for iPad, developed by Sonoma Wire Works and Retronyms, is now available on iTunes for $39.99.

http://www.sonomawireworks.com/iphone/studiotrack
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Re: First iPad DAW application is here--$40!!!

Post by PitchBender » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:31 pm

seems kinda limited to the built-in mic on the Ipad. That can't be good.
"no one on Facebook is looking for anything except for a way to tell you how great their fat kids are."

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:23 pm

iPad needs the flexibility of a plugin architecture like VST or audio units. Until then everything is too limited.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:28 pm

th0mas wrote:iPad needs the flexibility of a plugin architecture like VST or audio units. Until then everything is too limited.
Along with at some type of interface. With VST/AU support and a good MIDI interface, the iPad could be a beast for on the go recording.
bonne chance

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 pm

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 pm

sequentialsoftshock wrote:
th0mas wrote:iPad needs the flexibility of a plugin architecture like VST or audio units. Until then everything is too limited.
Along with at some type of interface. With VST/AU support and a good MIDI interface, the iPad could be a beast for on the go recording.
Sounds like what you're after is a laptop. The ipad only has 256MB of RAM so it's never going to be a great DAW, that thing looks like a fun little sketchpad but I don't expect to see anything much better in the DAW stakes for the ipad. Although I'd love to see Ableton work on a version of Live for the ipad, I'd buy one in a second to dj with if they did.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:04 pm

agreed. will wind up w/ some sweet synth & controller apps though.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:09 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
sequentialsoftshock wrote:
Sounds like what you're after is a laptop. The ipad only has 256MB of RAM so it's never going to be a great DAW.
Probably. I've run this through in my head about 4 times since the iElectribe was announced and have concluded each time that my laptop, that was similarly priced to an ipad, is right for me.

funk5

Post by funk5 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:11 am

What about just being able to use it as a midi controller for various daw & virtual instruments?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:50 am

funk5 wrote:What about just being able to use it as a midi controller for various daw & virtual instruments?
Yep you can already do this with a lot of the iphone apps, I use the iTM ones but there might be some better ones out there by now. Would work great on an ipad.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:37 am

I'm not saying to use an iPad for total recording, but if it were to add AU/VST support it would be certainly nice to have some form of hard control. Maybe Akai will make something they did for the iPhone.

I second the Live for iPad. That would be awesome. Even if they didn't have an actual program but a softsurface to control actually coded by ableton.
bonne chance