Looking at purchasing a new misxer

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: Korg Radias/Access Virus C/
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2
Band: Hobbyist

Looking at purchasing a new misxer

Post by aphlux » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:07 am

Hey guys,

Since i've expanded the my set, I find my 12-Ch Mackie VLZ3 to be obsolete with space requirements.

I was curious on other mixers anybody would suggest?
I pretty much have about 1500 allocated for this, but I dont need anything too big D:

Ive always stuck with Mackie, and I was looking at the Onyx 1640, but if anyone has any good suggestions, im open.

Or maybe, I could purchase another presonus 8x8 rack and just use those instead, and do all my mixing in the DAW?

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Moog Little Phatty/Korg TR Rack (combi)/Roland JP-8080/MS2000R/M3/Juno-106/MD SPS-1 UW MK2

Re: Looking at purchasing a new misxer

Post by aphlux » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 am

Actually heres a different scenerio.

Is there a way to merge the signal from lets say, three 1/4" sources into a single wire? Like a merger or something.
I appreciate it.

Edit:
Nevermind, just found a Y adapter. I wonder if they would affect my sound at all.

skweeegor

Post by skweeegor » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:51 pm

If I remember right, two outputs to 1 input with a y cable will cause the two outputs to drive each other and possibly cause damage. Maybe someone could confirm.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:46 am

skweeegor wrote:If I remember right, two outputs to 1 input with a y cable will cause the two outputs to drive each other and possibly cause damage. Maybe someone could confirm.
Confirmed. Y adaptors for summing: Just don't do it.

Back to the original question, I've found Allen and Heath mixers to be a lot better sounding and better built than Mackies, although I haven't used the new R series ones. I'd probably even pick a cheaper Yamaha over a Mackie, those things are bulletproof and really quite usable.

aphlux
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by aphlux » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:14 am

I was looking at those Allen and Heath ones on Musicians Friend, and noticed they have such good reviews.

I appreciate the input, and that Y input advice >.>

Synthax
Band: Juju beans & Potato wedges

Post by Synthax » Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:26 pm

I just bought a Allen & Heath Zed 14, and I have to say it's really great mixer. Build quality is way better that what you'd expect from a $400 mixer. I'll be keeping this one for a long time. +1 for Allen & Heath

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:29 pm

Don't know if you are still contemplating your mixer scenario, but I have the Mackie Onyx 1620. I know its not the 1640, but thought I could at least give you an idea. I have had it for about 5 years now and never had a single problem with it. I think it is pretty durable, and I have beat the c**p out of it, and it still works just as well as the day I bought it. Mackie can be a little pricey compared to other products, but I think you would be happy with. You said that you were looking for to spend $1500 or less....I paid about $1000 for my mixer 5 years ago brand new.
Overall, I think the Onyx series is also a good choice for a a few reasons.
They are basically like an analog live sound board that are enhanced in a number of ways to make them more appropriate for:
* Small studio use, which is what I use it for
* Professional use, which quite a few people use
* Perfroming Live
They also appear also very quiet. The faders and knobs are are all durable and easy to move. I think it is built excellently both inside and out.
The Firewire card is an awesome feature. I've never had a single problem from the thing, which makes recording extremely easy. Overall, this is a versatile mixer that can does very well. You won't have to compromise anything when purchasing this. It can do almost everything you need it to do.