inexpensive interfaces for my laptop

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
smallsynth
Gear: jp03, dx21, bass station, k-station, gnat, buzz, cs01-mkii, eml-101, eh-401
Band: resterisk

inexpensive interfaces for my laptop

Post by smallsynth » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:41 pm

i am looking into buying my first "interface" to work with my laptop. it is a cheap laptop, and plugging in audio stuff directly (with adapters when necessary) has previous sufficed. but i thought i might want a little more control options for recording and live playback, and so am looking for an inexpensive interface.

does anyone have experience with any of these devices? recommendations or input? other suggestion under $150 are cool. looking for midi in/out, and as many audio ins/outs as possible. maybe some cheap software (LE?) would be helpful? who knows.

let me know what you think.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--TASUS144MKII
http://www.zzounds.com/item--LEXLAMBDA
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PRSAUDIOBOX

thanks much,

geoffrey smallsynth

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: inexpensive interfaces for my laptop

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:30 am

I bought a Lambda and could not get it to work with my XP laptop at all. I noticed quite a few users have reported similar issues. I returned it and got my money bank. So I'd avoid that one :evil:

I've also read many reports of unusually high latency on the Tascam, your mileage may vary :?

PreSonus seems to get high marks overall for their various interfaces, so of the three that is the one I'd buy. It ships with PreSonus' own DAW, Studio One.

For $150 you won't find anything more than 2 in/2 out.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:59 am

Echo Audiofires have a good rep, the 2 in 2 out one is about $200. Haven't used anything in that price bracket so I can't really give any first hand advice though sorry.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat May 01, 2010 8:40 am

You should also check out the M Audio fast track pro, it has 2 xlr/line ins and a midi in. The preamps aren't that bad either.
bonne chance

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Sat May 01, 2010 12:32 pm

An original Motu 828, firewire, high quality, and drivers are available to run on the latest computer OS's
Last edited by wiss on Sat May 01, 2010 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Sat May 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Using a tascam us144mkII here, works great.

Two things I found - ASIO4ALL driver still beats the vendor driver, and USB interfaces are more subject to other component's latency in the system. In this case, on my laptop, my wireless driver can cause delay spikes of 100s of ms. I figured this out using the DPC latency checker, and now when I have my interface in use I have to turn off my wireless or suffer from random very quiet clicks. Overall though it's great, I get around 4ms latency playing VSTs.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 02, 2010 11:47 am

Have an original 144US here and use it occasionally, it gets nice low latency on desktop machines.

electro funker

Post by electro funker » Sun May 02, 2010 5:15 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Echo Audiofires have a good rep, the 2 in 2 out one is about $200. Haven't used anything in that price bracket so I can't really give any first hand advice though sorry.
I would suggest the same, it got 4 in's and 6 outs with the spdif and headphone. Echo's drivers work without any problems (i use mac).It sounds good for a budget sound card, the only thing there is wrong with this unit is the lack of phantom power, no mic/xlr in and it dosen't have the option to turn direct monitoring off (maybe you can do this, but I can't figure out how).

The Lambda is for me a no go, mostly because you pay for a phantom power function there is so weak that it allmost can't suply the +48v. It's in a cheap plastic case and big for a cheap soundcard, and the drivers aren't that great.

-my penny

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sun May 02, 2010 8:52 pm

electro funker wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Echo Audiofires have a good rep, the 2 in 2 out one is about $200. Haven't used anything in that price bracket so I can't really give any first hand advice though sorry.
I would suggest the same, it got 4 in's and 6 outs with the spdif and headphone. Echo's drivers work without any problems (i use mac).It sounds good for a budget sound card, the only thing there is wrong with this unit is the lack of phantom power, no mic/xlr in and it dosen't have the option to turn direct monitoring off (maybe you can do this, but I can't figure out how).

The Lambda is for me a no go, mostly because you pay for a phantom power function there is so weak that it allmost can't suply the +48v. It's in a cheap plastic case and big for a cheap soundcard, and the drivers aren't that great.

-my penny

Aside from lack of phantom power, I've been thinking this might be a nice interface to pick up for myself for a dedicated drum machine interface.
bonne chance

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon May 03, 2010 3:20 pm

electro funker wrote:The Lambda is for me a no go, mostly because you pay for a phantom power function there is so weak that it allmost can't suply the +48v. It's in a cheap plastic case and big for a cheap soundcard, and the drivers aren't that great.
And that's the one I was going to recommend! I've never used it with XP, only Vista and now 7. No issues. Of course, I don't use the phantom power on it so I can't speak to that.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS