reamp, DI, preamp... i'm lost

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
novielo
Gear: in order of appearence:
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff
Band: one-man band
Location: by the river, st-jerome, quebec, canada, north america

reamp, DI, preamp... i'm lost

Post by novielo » Tue May 04, 2010 1:52 pm

for a long time, i've been using synth, guitar, mic, nintendo ds, gameboy always with about the same signal path. it was in the effect pedals (geiger counter, modded metal zone, delays), effects modules (boss vl-1) or in another synth (nord modular g1, ms20) then in the pre-amp if it needed to be more gain added or right into the mixer or the audio interface if the gain was enough. if i wanted to take the audio from the computer to effects or anything the preamp was the last in the chain.

but, could the reamp add something? for what i understand it is for taking a balanced signal to an unbalanced one (ie from the sound card to effects pedals). but isn't what the preamp can do?

same thing for the di, in this case it's a unbalanced to balanced, but again the preamp do it.

and in some reviews, i've read more then once that people were using a procco rat as a preamp!!?? while it's suppose to be a guitar pedal.

is it more in relation with impedence then gain? educate me, i'm kind of lost of the application of these different device.
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

stillearning

Re: reamp, DI, preamp... i'm lost

Post by stillearning » Tue May 04, 2010 5:03 pm

As I understand it. there's re-amping, and there's the Reamp product. One is a process, the other a device to enable that process. That process includes converting a low impedance line level signal (usually balanced) into a high impedance guitar level signal, for the purpose of running the signal into devices intended for guitar signals, such as effects pedals or a guitar amp.

I don't think this can be accomplished with your average pre-amp, whose typical job is to boost low level signals such as microphone or guitar into line level signals.

DIs are generall used in the opposite manner as a reamp device. Converting high impedance unbalanced into low impedance balanced, from various input signal levels.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

novielo
sh2000 s612 nord modular mpc1000 kp3 ms-something cp-251 gameboy s6000 and other crappy stuff

Post by novielo » Tue May 04, 2010 6:34 pm

so, if i don't use the hi-z input of the firepod i should have a re-amping box before the pedal and a DI after?
will it make major difference?
-Save yourself the time and have a conversation with a plastic chair. -RobotHeroes

stillearning

Post by stillearning » Tue May 04, 2010 7:38 pm

I don't have a Firepod, and I'm not familiar with it, but in general, anytime you're trying to run a line level signal into an effects device that's meant to take a high impedance guitar level signal, that's where you'd use a re-amping device to match signals.

As far as the output of the Firepod goes, it would depend on it's output type, and the input of what it's going into, whether you'd need a DI or not. Most effects can be run directly into a high-z input found on many mixers.
As always, kindly allow for the possibility I have no idea what I'm talking about.

novielo

Post by novielo » Thu May 06, 2010 9:02 pm

i've been saerching for the last few days but i couldn't find much about guitar pedal that could match the impedence at their output nor a stereo one that could be use with an gemaboy or a ds, even maybe a ipod touch with a sound editor.

any recommendation?

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu May 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Re-amping usually implies an amplifier somewhere, like taking a DIed recorded guitar track and running it out into a miked Marshall.

For just running stuff into guitar pedals, I wouldn't worry at all about impedance and not much about levels either. A passive DI and a female-female XLR cable (roll your own if you have a soldering iron) will do the trick if you really need it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri May 07, 2010 12:11 am

meatballfulton wrote:Re-amping usually implies an amplifier somewhere, like taking a DIed recorded guitar track and running it out into a miked Marshall.

For just running stuff into guitar pedals, I wouldn't worry at all about impedance and not much about levels either.
Still trying to figure out the technical specifics of all of this myself: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=55902 , but I've definitely found that some guitar pedals (fuzz effects for one) will not give you a very usable sound if you plug synths straight into them. Sticking a re-amp between the synth and the pedal and then a DI after the pedal to go back into the mixer is giving me the levels I need without having to stick a pre-amp in there somewhere or cranking up the mixer's gain.

Of course, if you are getting a decent sound plugging straight into your pedals, keep it up, no need to fix that which ain't broke. But it's good to have some options in mind if you run across a pedal that doesn't play nice with your synths.

I picked up 2 used DOD 256 Stagehand Direct Boxes on Ebay recently for about $10 each. They're handy because they have the dB pad, so you can just use one in reverse as a re-amp box, which won't work with a regular passive DI (read why here: http://www.reamp.com/faq.html#06).
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 07, 2010 11:53 am

Stereo passive DI: Radial Pro D2, passive with pads

BTW most passive DIs do have pads, you can also buy inline pads from Whirlwindif you need more.

Since reamp boxes are $$$$ it's always best to try what gear you already have first. I assume most folks doing recording would have a DI box lying around.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

novielo

Post by novielo » Fri May 07, 2010 1:46 pm

In fact i already have couple of DIs. I was not completety aware of what each of these device does.

I wondered what they CAN do since i've found out that the Geiger counter and other synth/effects are not acting the same way when they are fed with different gear.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue May 11, 2010 8:32 am

just to break it down a bit before getting too much in the technical weeds:

mic->preamp->effects->recorder

guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->gtr. amp->//mic->see above
OR
guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->DI box->recorder
OR
guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->recorder w/ HiZ input

synth->(line-level effects)->recorder
OR
synth->DI box or preamp (these can be considered optional for the purposes of this breakdown, as most synths output at close to line level)->(line-level effects)->recorder
OR
synth->reamp->gtr. pedals->recorder

and, as stated above, reamping or using guitar pedals as an aux send:

recorder->reamp->pedal->DI/preamp->recorder
recorder->reamp->gtr. amp->mic->etc.

i've no doubt glossed over some points but thought this might be helpful as a foundation. best, e

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 13, 2010 8:13 pm

stillearning wrote:Most effects can be run directly into a high-z input found on many mixers.
Really? I've seen more audio interfaces with Hi-Z inputs than mixers.

dommy

Post by dommy » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:22 pm

code green wrote:just to break it down a bit before getting too much in the technical weeds:

mic->preamp->effects->recorder

guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->gtr. amp->//mic->see above
OR
guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->DI box->recorder
OR
guitar (HiZ)->(gtr. pedals)->recorder w/ HiZ input

synth->(line-level effects)->recorder
OR
synth->DI box or preamp (these can be considered optional for the purposes of this breakdown, as most synths output at close to line level)->(line-level effects)->recorder
OR
synth->reamp->gtr. pedals->recorder

and, as stated above, reamping or using guitar pedals as an aux send:

recorder->reamp->pedal->DI/preamp->recorder
recorder->reamp->gtr. amp->mic->etc.

i've no doubt glossed over some points but thought this might be helpful as a foundation. best, e
Extremely helpful. Hopefully, other people searching online for similar needs will stumble upon this page. Thank you!

On a relate note, any opinions on these products:
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan14/ ... erface.htm
(Accepts balanced/unbalanced jacks and outputs to "amp" or guitar pedals, another way of saying: high impedance or Hi-Z output)

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LittleIMP
(Dynamic mics, like Shure SM-57, into guitar pedals)

Correct me if I'm wrong.