Biyang CH-8 chorus pedal

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
PPG_HOSHII!

Biyang CH-8 chorus pedal

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:29 am

I recently sold a $200+ "Retro-Sonic" analog chorus pedal. If you are familiar with the BOSS CE-1, you know that the Retro-Sonic is supposedly the modern equivalent. I now have a analog chorus pedal called a "BIYANG CH-8" and I just wanted to say, I think this is the best chorus pedal you can buy for this price. It cost under $60 brand new. I took the pedal apart to see what kind of chips it uses, much to my surprise it uses the Panasonic MN3007 and MN3101 chips! I now have the exact same sound as the "Retro Sonic" pedal for a fraction of the price. This is the same basic pedal as the once that cost 4 times as much! I just wanted to pass along the good news, this sounds absolutely wonderful on my synths as well as guitars!

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Biyang CH-8 chorus pedal

Post by monolith » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:48 am

Is it stereo out?

PPG_HOSHII!

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:38 am

Only mono out.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:18 pm

Some of those Biyangs are pretty good. I had a CH-7 and tonally it sounded a lot like the EHX Small Clone, but with the added bonus of pot control instead of that switch. In the end I sold both the SC and CH because I found the Boss CE-2 better - seemed to keep more low end, whereas the Biyang and EHX rolled it off. I don't know if you'd notice in isolation, but side by side there was a clear difference I thought.

If you like the CH, maybe check out their AD-7 (or 8 now I guess) which is labelled "analogue delay" but isn't - it uses a PT2399 digital sampling IC with analogue filters in the feedback loop. Lovely and crunchy when you ramp it up.

I also tried their phaser but didn't like it - it looks like the MXR Phase 100, but sound nothing like. The OTD-100 Tube OD was good at one thing, but the build quality let it down and I had to repair mine before I sold it.

PPG_HOSHII!

Post by PPG_HOSHII! » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:46 am

Their analog delay seems interesting. I have their Flanger and although it is a little extreme, It can be fun for an exaggerated effect. I used the BOSS Ce-2 for a number of years, but never found the Depth to go deep enough (I even had one that was made in Japan). I'm not too fond of the chrome encasing on the Biyangs because they show even the tiniest of scratches, but as for the sound of the chorus, I think it's a keeper for sure.