Expensive MIDI Cables...?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

Re: Expensive MIDI Cables...?

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:48 pm

Like gcoudert I've been using the same MIDI cables for over 25 years, of course that's home use only.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby gcoudert » Wed Dec 28, 2016 4:16 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Like gcoudert I've been using the same MIDI cables for over 25 years, of course that's home use only.

Mine were all gigged at some point, albeit moderately. I do look after my stuff and cables are no exception.
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby griffin avid » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:25 am

I am certainly NOT the most technically/savvy member on this forum.
But MIDI does transmit power to devices.
I have several that are POWERED through the MIDI cable.

In case you're thinking I made this stuff up.....

http://www.midisolutions.com/faqs.htm
Q: The MIDI Solutions products don't have a power input - do they require batteries?
A: MIDI Solutions products are powered through the MIDI cable - no batteries or wall adapters are required to operate with most MIDI products! Please read the FAQs below for exceptions.

------------------
And there are products powered through MIDI
Tech 21 MIDI Mouse
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... DQodAHwP_w
Tech 21 MIDI Mouse Features:

Up/Down footswitches to access 128 patches on 16 selectable channels
Footswitch for Search and Active modes
Smooth-action actuators for easy control
Large, non-glare LED display
Phantom power operable via MIDI cable, or utilizes optional DC power supply, Tech 21 Model #DC2, or 9V alkaline battery (not included)
Actual size: 4.5" x 3.5" x 1.5"
Weight: 11 oz

Rocktron MIDI Mate
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ ... DQodv7kHwg
The MIDI Mate also features a 7-pin MIDI connector, allowing phantom power to be used with a 7-pin MIDI cable, avoiding extra adapter cables on stage.

And I bet somebody in here (besides me) is old enough to remember when old SAMPLERS had an option to pass storage data through your MIDI. Takes years, but was often listed as an option.
Music Product: Better Sounds for Beats http://www.StudioAVX.com
Music Production: Resources and Research http://www.ProducersEdgeMagazine.com
Music Produced: Abstract Hip Hop Sci-Fi: http://www.TheDynamicUniverse.com
griffin avid
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:37 pm

griffin avid wrote:I bet somebody in here (besides me) is old enough to remember when old SAMPLERS had an option to pass storage data through your MIDI. Takes years, but was often listed as an option.

MIDI Sample Dump Standard
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby gcoudert » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:17 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
griffin avid wrote:I bet somebody in here (besides me) is old enough to remember when old SAMPLERS had an option to pass storage data through your MIDI. Takes years, but was often listed as an option.

MIDI Sample Dump Standard

Geez, I used MIDI SD back in the day to transfer drum samples (to my E-mu E4K, perhaps). Never again.
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby ninja6485 » Thu Dec 29, 2016 5:11 pm

I've used it, it's not bad, unless you have very long samples! if your samples are under or around the 600-1200 millisecond range, which is most drum samples, waiting for them to transfer over midi takes less time than waiting for ads at the beginning of YouTube videos. It's when you get 4 and 8 bar loops, and reverb trails that it starts to get grueling, but it's really not as bad as it's made out to be.

If you don't care about preserving the loop points, using the spdif in on a lot of those samplers is a better method of getting samples from your computer to the sampler. Out of the three ways: using software on an old computer with properly formatted disks, midi, and SPDIF in, the SPDIF is by far the easiest, and has no size restriction.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby jxalex » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:45 am

meatballfulton wrote:Like gcoudert I've been using the same MIDI cables for over 25 years, of course that's home use only.

it does not matter. They still hold up in gigs even after 10 years.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby jxalex » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:51 am

griffin avid wrote:I am certainly NOT the most technically/savvy member on this forum.
But MIDI does transmit power to devices.
I have several that are POWERED through the MIDI cable.

yes, but no need becouse of that to get a thicker cable or extra pairs. :)
These consumable currents are very low (couple milliampers, if so) and so it does not affect normal MIDI function.
Also its output current is limited by the MIDI output circuit. The 5..10 mA really is maximum usable from it.

the principle is quite similar to phantompowered MICs, that there is both powering and signal in the SAME cable pin, however it is extra lecture how it is done, but nothing magical in it.
jxalex

Gear: enough

Previous

Return to Sound Production