Microphone purchase.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Re: Microphone purchase.

Post by krzeppa » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:46 pm

I have a CAD C195 Handheld Condenser, and I think it works really well for the price. I think, like others have said, each mic works differently depending on the vocalist. I have a female singing into the CAD and the voice sounds really good to me. If I do vocals, I just yell into an SM57 and distort it....it works for me though....
The C195 is less than $100, and it sounds way better than SM57 or 58 in my opinion. I also like it because it sounds good in the studio, but it can also be used for gigging....I like the dual purposes it serves.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:43 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
However, take this from someone who hasn't recorded anyone else since 2005. Of course, I like things that sound like s**t anyway.

[edit]
Doesn't stop from making about a dozen semi-trollish posts per day apparently...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Then address my "semi-trollish posts" on a thread where you think it is appropriate. Being called out for such a thing when defending Shure microphones for studio use is a bit thick, I have to say. I'm hardly the only one that thinks they are better for a lot of things than many cheap condenser microphones, mind you.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:19 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:There are some nice dynamics for vocals like the SM7B, RE-20 and others, but the SM58 really sounds like absolute s**t. You must have a really weird voice or strange tastes if you preferred the 58 to any cheap condenser. The NT1A is a bit peaky but it's much better than a 58, the AT2020 is pretty good on the right voice too.
Well, try shouting into a cheap condenser and judge for yourself what the results are like. That's the only way I record my own voice. I can understand your criticism, but my experiences with that thing are probably just different.
Sounds like you should try an SM7B then. I'm not saying condensers are better than dynamics, I'm saying the SM58 is a crappy sounding dynamic. Way too much mud around 250, closed off top end and overall harshness. When I mix bands live I always end up using the mids to cut at 250 and 700ish to get a 58 just to sound flat-ish, there are a lot of other mics that sound good without any EQ which let you use it creatively or for finer stuff. For example a Beta 58 is a much better live mic than an SM58.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 am

nvbrkr wrote:Then address my "semi-trollish posts" on a thread where you think it is appropriate. Being called out for such a thing when defending Shure microphones for studio use is a bit thick, I have to say. I'm hardly the only one that thinks they are better for a lot of things than many cheap condenser microphones, mind you.
Why would I bother baiting a troll anymore than I already have?

Besides, stab is doing a fine job.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:37 am

That said, I do agree that a good dynamic is better than a s**t condenser.

Any of those broadcast mics Stab mentioned should work okay.
EV RE15s are f**k awesome, my vocal mic of choice.
The AT 20xx, 30xx, 40xx series are great condensers for the cost, as are Avantone mics, and a lot of people swear by Studio Projects
Going along with Stab's comment, I love CADs on everything but voices. Some people swear by them, but they make my vocals sound s**t(ier).

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:29 am

tallowwaters wrote: Why would I bother baiting a troll anymore than I already have?
I've been using the internet for 15+ years and this is the first time I've been called a "troll", but it's not necessarily surprising when coming from you. In my post, I gave a considerate reply where I stated what type of experience and tests I've done in regards with this issue. I openly admitted that my experiences might be limited to someone else's in that regard. I also pointed out that one doesn't have to consider only what type of a microphone suits a person's voice, but also what type of a track it is used on. If you're concerned about the comment that stated "I like recordings that sound like s**t anyway" then that's just a reply to Stab Frenzy's choice of words in the above post. It simply means I like lofi aesthetics. If you If are calling any of that "trolling" then you are out of line
Stab Frenzy wrote: I'm not saying condensers are better than dynamics, I'm saying the SM58 is a crappy sounding dynamic. Way too much mud around 250, closed off top end and overall harshness. When I mix bands live I always end up using the mids to cut at 250 and 700ish to get a 58 just to sound flat-ish, there are a lot of other mics that sound good without any EQ which let you use it creatively or for finer stuff. For example a Beta 58 is a much better live mic than an SM58.
Fair enough. I don't necessarily remember that accurarely the differences of Beta 58 and 58 for different purposes. This is why I've openly stated that it's been a while since I've done any professional work and that it's been at the low-end of the business in any case. However, I've had to handle a lot of frustrating work assignments with cheap condensers and failed to understand why I was required to use them. There are plenty of recordings done by professional artists, like Björk, U2 The Cure, Henry Rollins and such, where basic Shure microphones have been used for lead vocals. As far as I know, the lower end of condensers haven't been used in a similar manner too often. That's an indication of at least something.

CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Post by CROYBOY89 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:03 am

I do appreciate all the input, however I did narrow it down to mainly those two. So I was hoping that someone would have some input on those two mics. .........I don't think that the sm58 works well for my voice, otherwise I wouldn't be going for another one.
I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:23 am

CROYBOY89 wrote:I do appreciate all the input, however I did narrow it down to mainly those two. So I was hoping that someone would have some input on those two mics. .........I don't think that the sm58 works well for my voice, otherwise I wouldn't be going for another one.
I haven't used either of them, but I've heard good things about some of the MXLs. But even if I'd used both of them and had a preference as to which I preferred, that might not be the mic that works best with your voice. There really isn't any advice that anyone can give you online about which mic will work best for your voice, you really do need to try them out to see what suits.

I wouldn't limit myself to just two mics from the same company either, try out a whole lot of stuff in your price range and see what works best for you.

CROYBOY89
Gear: Novation Bass Station II, MicroKorg, Roland JU-06, Arturia Keystep in Logic Pro X

Post by CROYBOY89 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:43 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
CROYBOY89 wrote:I do appreciate all the input, however I did narrow it down to mainly those two. So I was hoping that someone would have some input on those two mics. .........I don't think that the sm58 works well for my voice, otherwise I wouldn't be going for another one.
I haven't used either of them, but I've heard good things about some of the MXLs. But even if I'd used both of them and had a preference as to which I preferred, that might not be the mic that works best with your voice. There really isn't any advice that anyone can give you online about which mic will work best for your voice, you really do need to try them out to see what suits.

I wouldn't limit myself to just two mics from the same company either, try out a whole lot of stuff in your price range and see what works best for you.
Right, that does make sense. I had talked to alot of people and, read alot of reviews, I was just wondering if anyone had used those two.
I've got the brains, you've got the looks, let's make lots of money!

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:12 pm

nvbrkr wrote:
I've been using the internet for 15+ years.
Yeah, I think that much is pretty obvious.

Whatever. If you can't find all the BS and hubris surrounding your posts, far be it from me to point it out. I would obviously be out of line to look at a post that basically says nothing and call it as such.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:11 pm

The MXL microphones are pretty much cheez whiz. I would pick up a used Oktava 219 or 319. If you realy want a new mic and are limited on budget get an Avantone LDC or and Audio Technica.
Speaking of AT, the 4033 is a great mic. It imparts very little color or shine. You may find yourself using it and thinking "whats the big deal?" You wont find your self thinking it sounds shrill and nasal like a kazoo, which a lot of cheaper condensers do.
also
http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=76299
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:28 am

I imagine that he's probably bought a mic by now...