Pro Tools 9!

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Pro Tools 9!

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:48 am

Finally Avid/Digi have made Pro Tools a proper competitor to Logic/Live/Nuendo. You no longer have to spend $10000 minimum to get ADC and a decent sounding interface. Pro Tools users rejoice! I'm already trying to decide what I'll replace my 002 with, will probably just use the Traveler for the moment, sell the 002 to get a different control surface for hands-on mixing and upgrade to an Ensemble, 2882 or FF800 later on. Woot.

http://www.avid.com/US/products/Pro-Too ... p=AV-HP-S2

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: Pro Tools 9!

Post by space6oy » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:46 pm

i used pro tools for 11 years before switching to ableton & won't turn back regardless.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro One, Analog Keys, Prophet 5, MPC60, TR606, RD8, St. Vincent Guitar, Bluesbreaker amp

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Logic! :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:38 pm

I never really liked PT in the time i've used it. But this is a really nice development, they've been way behind the curve on this for a while.

3rdConstruction
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, the true north strong and free(zing).

Post by 3rdConstruction » Sun Nov 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Well, I'll put my ignorance on display here. I'm not yet using a DAW (due to limited time really), have mucked about a little with Reaper, but really I know nothing about the advantages of one vs. another.

In what I've read, it seemed to me that the main advantage Pro Tools offered was that it ran on its own dedicated hardware, such that you weren't dependent upon the host computer for processing, and in a nutshell, you paid top dollar for reliable processing power. At least that's the impression I've gotten. But please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If they move Pro Tools to running on the native host CPU, what is the advantage to working on Pro Tools? Can anyone point out the pros and/or cons of its work flow or design? Is it's audio processing any different from other DAWs?
...speaking at length about something is no guarantee that understanding is advanced.

Esus

Post by Esus » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:27 pm

You'll still need an iLok.

It's still INSANELY expensive.

MIDI functionality still sucks compared to most other DAWs (DP, for one).

Even though I use HD2 and 002 systems, this is a non-starter for me. Just one step closer to being assimilated into the AVID collective. No thanks.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:48 pm

The only advantage of using ProTools vs. any other DAW software is compatibility since most professional recording studios use PT. That said, it's not hard to, for example, track in Cubase and mix in PT.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:14 pm

b3groover wrote:The only advantage of using ProTools vs. any other DAW software is compatibility since most professional recording studios use PT. That said, it's not hard to, for example, track in Cubase and mix in PT.
From what i've been seeing people are moving over to logic BIG time.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:45 pm

3rdConstruction wrote:Well, I'll put my ignorance on display here. I'm not yet using a DAW (due to limited time really), have mucked about a little with Reaper, but really I know nothing about the advantages of one vs. another.

In what I've read, it seemed to me that the main advantage Pro Tools offered was that it ran on its own dedicated hardware, such that you weren't dependent upon the host computer for processing, and in a nutshell, you paid top dollar for reliable processing power. At least that's the impression I've gotten. But please correct me if I'm mistaken.

If they move Pro Tools to running on the native host CPU, what is the advantage to working on Pro Tools? Can anyone point out the pros and/or cons of its work flow or design? Is it's audio processing any different from other DAWs?

Pro Tools HD runs on DSP cards. Pro Tools LE is CPU-based. Keeping the DSP cards updated so they are ahead of what can be done with CPU processing is likely problematic these days.

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:11 am

b3groover wrote:The only advantage of using ProTools vs. any other DAW software is compatibility since most professional recording studios use PT.
However, if your DAW software supports OMF or AAF, you can export a PT session into your system and back out again (if you have DigiTranslator--a several hundred dollar option for HD, or worse, a $1200 bundled option with LE). IIRC, Digital Performer and I know Soundtrack Pro come standard with OMF/AAF capability. Thanks, Digi/AVID! :roll:
Not all your settings will be preserved, no matter what the dialog box says (in particular, it can be buggy with automation data), and you'd better assume that most plugins used in one session obviously won't translate into the other. But overall, it's doable.
And while I'm at it, why do PT users have to pay extra for mp3 import/export capability? It's only twenty bucks or so, but c'mon guys, I'm sure your Fraunhofer licensing fees were paid off years ago. Thanks again, guys!! :roll: :roll:
My application is 90% sound for picture, broadcast, and corporate industrial projects, and it works reasonably well. But IMO it's far from being the go-to system for music production.

If you want to see service after the sale, lurk around the DUC (Digi Users Conf), the official PT users group. It's amazing how many users' justifiable irks and questions to Digidesign go virtually ignored by the company.

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:16 am

The Frauenhoffer license fee is per encoder- so every time you sell something with an encoder you pay a fee.

Doesn't matter anymore because both the mp3 encoder and the OMF/AAF export are included with PT 9.

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:57 am

Ashe37 wrote:The Frauenhoffer license fee is per encoder- so every time you sell something with an encoder you pay a fee.
iTunes does it and more, and it's free.
Ashe37 wrote:Doesn't matter anymore because both the mp3 encoder and the OMF/AAF export are included with PT 9.
Better late than never, I guess. Bet PT 9 users will be paying for this somehow.

Sorry to kvetch, but when a company has something like 85% of the market share, why should it have to bend users over for chump change?

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:22 am

Esus wrote:
Ashe37 wrote:The Frauenhoffer license fee is per encoder- so every time you sell something with an encoder you pay a fee.
And they are still paying Frauenhofer (well, Technicolor, which owns Thomson which owns the rights to mp3)somehow. $0.75 per license
Ashe37 wrote:Doesn't matter anymore because both the mp3 encoder and the OMF/AAF export are included with PT 9.
Better late than never, I guess. Bet PT 9 users will be paying for this somehow.

Sorry to kvetch, but when a company has something like 85% of the market share, why should it have to bend users over for chump change?

I seriously doubt Pro tools has 85% of the market share anymore.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:55 am

Depends on the market. Pro studios? I bet it is 85% or higher. Bedroom studios? Not so much.

Esus

Post by Esus » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:19 am

Ashe37 wrote:
Esus wrote:
And they are still paying Frauenhofer (well, Technicolor, which owns Thomson which owns the rights to mp3)somehow. $0.75 per license
Right, but my point still stands, whether Apple is absorbing the cost or not. To end users, it's still a free app. My logic is that if Apple and others could do it, so could Digi.

Ashe37 wrote:I seriously doubt Pro tools has 85% of the market share anymore.
Wonder why? ;)

Hard to prove, although my guess is that PT is found in the vast majority of professional television and post-production facilities, because of its relatively early adoption by those industries. 15-18 years ago, the main options for that type of random-access tapeless work were Fairlights, Synclaviers, et.al. Pro Tools was obviously an attractive cost-effective alternative. I loosely arrived at the 85% figure because I've heard numerous engineers and sound designers throw that number around. Since there's no way to quantitatively prove those numbers, how about a compromise, and use 65%? :)

Bottom line, I've been a PT user ever since 3; I used a Synclavier Post Pro before that, and a Dyaxis before that.
I'm not bashing Pro Tools just because, but after 13+ years, I've dealt with enough "why can't they fix ______?" issues that at best were unanswered, and at worst were ignored. My work takes me to different facilities, and I have to know Pro Tools to do my job. It's a necessary evil. I'm old enough to where I'm not in the mood to learn a new system (although Soundtrack Pro and DP have lots of nice features, and their price tags are definitely more attractive).

If you're a mixer/designer/editor working for a large facility with a lot of infrastructure, Pro Tools makes sense. Since this is a synth (music) forum, my guess is that most folks are looking for cost-effective solutions to record and mix their tracks. If that's true, there are more music-friendly software options out there than Pro Tools IMO.