Condenser mic

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Condenser mic

Post by gcoudert » Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:34 pm

I was thinking of getting a condenser mic for vocals. I was wondering whether they can run without phantom power as my sound card hasn't got that feature. If so, does it make any difference if you do use phantom power or not? Can you recommend a decent but affordable mic?
GC

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Re: Condenser mic

Post by Synthaholic » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:35 pm

Condenser mics NEED power to function. Some require phantom power from the plug, while others run off a battery. Check the specs on the mic you're looking at. If your sound card doesn't have phantom power, maybe you have a mixer or audio interface that does, or there's probably a phantom power converter box out there you can use.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Nov 21, 2010 9:42 pm

Condenser mics NEED power to function.

Thanks for clarifying this.
If your sound card doesn't have phantom power, maybe you have a mixer or audio interface that does, or there's probably a phantom power converter box out there you can use.
My sound card doesn't so I will look for a phantom power box. I have seen a couple of reasonably priced mic preamps that have phantom power. Is that what I have to look for?

Thanks.
GC

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:35 pm

If you don't have phantom power you could get a Mic pre that has one.
this is pretty cheap at 100 dollars a channel.
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/DMP3.html

A lot of people seem to like the MXL's for cheapo microphones.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MSEV87

Just wait until the actually knowledgeable peeps like Stabs or tallow appear.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:24 am

I imagine if your soundcard doesn't have phantom then the preamp probably isn't very good. What is it?

You'd probably be better off upgrading your pre/interface as well as getting a mic, people overlook the importance of the pre when it comes to how a mic sounds, a cheap pre will make an expensive mic sound c**p.

Also, 'decent but affordable' isn't really specific enough. Are you talking $100? $500? $1000?

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Nov 22, 2010 12:32 am

Yeah i was actually going to say, you would have to have a pretty bodgy Interface to not have phantom power on it.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:15 am

1.) Buy a real Pre or interface. There are some okay lower end models like the VTB and the DMP, spending more will get better results. Like Stab said, a good pre can make a s**t mic sound better.

2.) As far as mic recs go, you'll need to try some out. Each mic sounds different on each voice. It would probably help if we knew what you were recording as well.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by gcoudert » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:38 pm

My audio/MIDI interface is a Terratec DMX 6-Fire. It sounds fine to my ears.

GC

themilford
Gear: Oberheim: OB-8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Yamaha CS-15, Akai AX-60, S612, Moog Taurus 3, Alesis MMT-8, HR-16, Fender Bass IV, Rickenbacker 620/6, Crumar Trilogy
Band: Season Finale

Post by themilford » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 pm

This is a screamin' great deal and I've had very good luck with my pair on everything from toms to overheads to room mics to electric guitar to vocals. It's multi-pattern so you it will remain useful in many applications:
http://www.frontendaudio.com/CAD-M179-C ... p/1637.htm

If you don't wanna buy a new interface this is a good option for some decent mic pres. You'll be able to run synths and stuff through it too and use it for gigs if you need a small mixer:
http://www.bswusa.com/proditem.asp?item=NOTEPAD102