outboard reverb...which?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
construct09
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

outboard reverb...which?

Post by construct09 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:24 am

cant beat a 15" tray in a valve amp i reckon , but what would you use thats reasonably priced? pedal suggestions most welcome

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Re: outboard reverb...which?

Post by blavatsky » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:18 am

I have (and like for cheap)
nanoverb
behringer rv600 (verbzilla clone)

the nanoverb is nice because its very simple, but has some good presets and is sort of a set and forget it type feel.
may be outdated but still sounds ok to my ears.
rv600 is a pedal but it's stereo and has tons of settings (cave, chamber, space) in addition to the usual hall/spring/etc. Lots of good settings to be found.
Both of these are CHEAP like $50....at the next level check out ehx holy grail, lexicon mx, tc electronic maybe?

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am

Alesis Wedge.
soundcloud.com/vectron

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:29 am

I had a Nanoverb, I was fairly unimpressed by it. The spring reverb sim is decent but I didn't like any of the other FX.

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:26 am

Boss RV-2 is a great reverb in pedal form. love it.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:55 am

I think the Holy Grail sounds pretty good for the money. I have a TC Electronic M-One which is decent for the price, you can get them pretty cheap used. Not that great for a character verb but fine for just putting things in a space.

The price of second-hand PCM 81s and 91s are low enough that I'd describe them as 'reasonably priced'. I'm a firm believer in spending a bit more and getting something awesome when it comes to effects.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:54 pm

Lexicon LXP series can get a little close to the PCM series for cheap (at least they used to...).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:07 pm

I'm enjoying the EHX Cathedral that I got a few months ago. It's stereo, has a nice array of controls (blend, reverb time, damping/tone, feedback, and pre-delay) and modes (Grail Spring, Accu Spring, Hall, Room, Plate, Reverse, Grail Flerb [which is a flanged reverb], and Echo), with a preset available for each mode, and a separate foot switch for tap tempo or "infinite reverb" (seems the same as the hold button that some digital delays have, but it can yield some cool ambient washes of sound) if you hold it down.

They're $220-ish new, but they've been out long enough now that I imagine used ones ought to be turning up for a bit less.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:24 pm

construct09 wrote:cant beat a 15" tray in a valve amp i reckon , but what would you use thats reasonably priced? pedal suggestions most welcome
That depends what flavour of reverb you want. I second the Lexicon recommendations - I have an MPX1 which uses the Lexichip for reverb, and another processor for the other effects, and sounds pretty good. A touch cheaper than the cheaper PCMs too. I've also been using an Alesis Microverb 4 since they came out, and have always liked its character - not super-clean, not too dirty, not exactly realistic, but has something about it.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:45 pm

I'm using a Kurzweil Rumour. Same reverb algorithms as the KSP8. I'm liking the quality of these reverbs better than the ones in my Lexicon MPX1. I've never used a PCM model, so I can't compare.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Dec 01, 2010 6:16 pm

nathanscribe wrote:That depends what flavour of reverb you want. I second the Lexicon recommendations - I have an MPX1 which uses the Lexichip for reverb, and another processor for the other effects, and sounds pretty good. A touch cheaper than the cheaper PCMs too. I've also been using an Alesis Microverb 4 since they came out, and have always liked its character - not super-clean, not too dirty, not exactly realistic, but has something about it.
I, too, like Lexicon. I used to have the MPX 550 and it was superb. Only reason I sold it, I'm using plugins for that now.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Alex E wrote:Alesis Wedge.
Shhh! Keep quiet about that one! ;)

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:38 pm

Solderman wrote:I'm using a Kurzweil Rumour. Same reverb algorithms as the KSP8. I'm liking the quality of these reverbs better than the ones in my Lexicon MPX1. I've never used a PCM model, so I can't compare.
What would be the reasonable going price for one of these? $450? Less?

Reason I ask is that there's one in my area going for about that price. And while I've found the Ensoniq DP/4 to be an awesome effects unit, I'm irritated by how much space it takes up and how heavy it is.

I guess my question here is: Kurzweil Rumour + Mangler > Ensoniq DP/4?
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

mirt

Post by mirt » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:57 am

+ 1 for Holy Grail, if you want kind of spring reverb sound there is also great malekko reverb - chicklet, it isn't very flexible but it sound great.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:35 am

Speaking of a "15" tray" What are some opinions on an actual analog spring reverb unit for synthesizers? I guess it might end up being limiting if you want to create a really subtle space...maybe... I've never actually used one.