outboard reverb...which?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: outboard reverb...which?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:12 am

You can really easily make your own spring reverbs, just buy a tank (or two, or four) from Accutronics, making sure you pick the right impedance, and a couple of transformers for input and output. You can do it entirely passive, that's how the zerotronics coolsprings do it. Or you could get a couple of line drivers and integrate them into your design, wouldn't be too hard to do. Something like the JLM Audio Dingo should work.

The cool thing about doing it yourself is that you could do something nobody's ever done before, like 4 tanks in stereo with a 100/0 75/25 25/75 0/100 balance between them, for really nice sounding stereo reverbs. You could even do it really easily by buying a couple of Doepfer A199s, replacing the tanks with whatever Accutronics ones you want and a couple of A-138Ds for input and output, all in a beauty case. Easy, and shouldn't cost too much. $640 to do it stereo, $380 for mono.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:50 am

Bricasti duh
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:04 am

Stab's spring ideas sound tasty. Consider finding a used AKG BX spring too - they sound the business.

I do pedals, but not pedal 'verb, so I won't suggest anything in that format.

Racks? Lots of choices:
  • Kurzweil Rumour
  • Lexicon MPX-1
  • Lexicon LXP-15 II
  • Sony R7
  • t.c. electronic M-One XL
  • Roland SRV-330
For a bit more coin, also consider:
  • Kurzweil KSP8
  • Lexicon PCM-70/80/90/81/91
  • Sony DPS-V77
  • t.c. electronic M3000
  • Roland R-880
  • Roland RSS-303
  • AKG ADR68K
  • Quantec Yardstick
  • Klark-Teknik DN780
  • Dynacord DRP20
Of course there are spendier options, but I didn't want to get nutty, and many of the above can deliver absolutely gorgeous reverberation and ambience in many different timbral colors.

cheers,
Ian

Shreddie
Gear: Alesis Andromeda, Fusion 8HD: ART SGX Nightbass SE: Kawai K5000s: Yamaha A3000 V2, EX7, FS1R, PSS-480 (Don't laugh, it rocks!) and 4 planks.

Post by Shreddie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:49 pm

Since I removed the SCSI card to put in my EX7, I've been using the Yammie A3000 as an effects unit... Some not bad reverbs on it for a cheap bit of gear.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Since the OP is interested in pedals, I'll second the recommendation of the Behringer RV600. You get a lot of reverb options in one pedal. It's a modeling pedal, so it's not truly spring, but you do have a couple of spring emulations on it. I bought it new off eBay for around $40. The only thing it doesn't have is reverse reverb, but aside from that, it does the job well.

I've heard good things about the Digitech Digiverb, which has Lexicon reverb programs in it and the Tech 21 Boost RVB from posts on the guitar forums I'm on. Those might interest you as well since they're pedals.

For racks--as Aeon mentioned, the Lexicon LXP-15 II sounds great. It does a lot more in addition to that such as modulated delays, pitch shifting, gated reverb, etc. Also, you might look out for a Sony DPS-V55 (a piece Aeon recommended to me). Like the Lexicon, it does reverb really well and much, much more. It's very user-friendly and easy to edit, too.
Fender Blacktop Jazzmaster | Squier CV Duo-Sonic | e6400 Ultra | Blofeld | a bunch of effects

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:46 pm

Dubersive wrote:What would be the reasonable going price for one of these? $450? Less?

Reason I ask is that there's one in my area going for about that price. And while I've found the Ensoniq DP/4 to be an awesome effects unit, I'm irritated by how much space it takes up and how heavy it is.

I guess my question here is: Kurzweil Rumour + Mangler > Ensoniq DP/4?
I replaced my DP/4+ with a Rumour, and I'm in heaven. So clean, so useful, so easy to navigate. I'll probably end up pairing it with a Mangler. For me, I think this will be a much more productive combination than the DP/4 (despite the various strengths of that box).

If you're seriously looking into the Rumour, you should check out shaft9000's review in the "Effects Review" sticky (right here on the "Sound Production" page; it's the last post in that thread). Informative and spot-on, I think...

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:49 pm

Eventide needs to hurry up with the Reverbfactor already.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:15 am

I've actually gotten a really nice reverb out of the multitap algo on the timefactor, just turn up the slur all the way and play around with the other settings, I can't remember where I put them. I actually take it to shows I'm mixing where I know they don't have a good reverb unit, it sounds better than most desk reverbs.

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:42 am

:lol:

I was actually thinking about putting (even though the timefactor's multitap works in a pinch) on my post.

Still would be nice to have a VerbFactor though...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:04 am

Buy an Eclipse and be done with it. :D

tallowwaters

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:39 am

Nah, no more racks for me. Plus, once I go over a grand, I'm going all the way to H8000.

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:23 pm

CfNorENa wrote:
Dubersive wrote:What would be the reasonable going price for one of these? $450? Less?

Reason I ask is that there's one in my area going for about that price. And while I've found the Ensoniq DP/4 to be an awesome effects unit, I'm irritated by how much space it takes up and how heavy it is.

I guess my question here is: Kurzweil Rumour + Mangler > Ensoniq DP/4?
I replaced my DP/4+ with a Rumour, and I'm in heaven. So clean, so useful, so easy to navigate. I'll probably end up pairing it with a Mangler. For me, I think this will be a much more productive combination than the DP/4 (despite the various strengths of that box).

If you're seriously looking into the Rumour, you should check out shaft9000's review in the "Effects Review" sticky (right here on the "Sound Production" page; it's the last post in that thread). Informative and spot-on, I think...
Well, I jumped on it. The seller lowered the price again, and I couldn't pass it up. Hope my experience with it will be similar to yours :D

Now I need to sell my DP/4...argh. I had been planning to hold off on any purchases until I could afford a Cwejman. GAS and eBay always ruin my saving-plans...

Anyways, thanks!

So...OP - interested in a DP/4? :lol:
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

jeeroj
Gear: sh-101, x0xb0x(x2), tr-606, korg es-1, half dead mc-303 and some boss micro racks

Post by jeeroj » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:46 pm

Dubersive wrote:
Well, I jumped on it. The seller lowered the price again, and I couldn't pass it up. Hope my experience with it will be similar to yours :D

Now I need to sell my DP/4...argh. I had been planning to hold off on any purchases until I could afford a Cwejman. GAS and eBay always ruin my saving-plans...

Anyways, thanks!

So...OP - interested in a DP/4? :lol:
sir, you are a gear buying fiend! :twisted:
Not since jsrockit have i seen someone going thru gear like that! :lol:

how much you selling the DP/4 for than?
Debut Album out now jeeroj - Selected Acid Works 08-11
check the review HERE first

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:17 pm

jeeroj wrote: sir, you are a gear buying fiend! :twisted:
Not since jsrockit have i seen someone going thru gear like that! :lol:

how much you selling the DP/4 for than?
Well thank you! I think :lol:

It's because I've been learning a lot by going through all this gear. Only now am I beginning to get an idea of what kind of set-up I'd like. Thankfully I'm almost there, and I can't wait for it to be done. I hate buying and selling, buying and selling. It's been killer on my blood-pressure...

Anyways, I'll probably be selling it for $300 or something like that. I'll put up an ad here later :)
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

CfNorENa
Gear: SEM | SH-2 | Prophet 5 | MKS-70 | Microwave XTk | Kronos || AD 202 | El Capistan | DP/4 | Eclipse | Rumour | PCM90

Post by CfNorENa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:39 pm

Dubersive wrote:Well, I jumped on it. The seller lowered the price again, and I couldn't pass it up. Hope my experience with it will be similar to yours :D

Now I need to sell my DP/4...argh.
Well, if your experience really is similar to mine, then you should hold onto that DP/4+! After getting to know my Rumour better, I'm really loving it for all the things that attracted me to it in the first place: very clean sound, very musical, very easy to navigate. But in playing more and more with it, I've realized that what I should get to complement it is something that is just the opposite: something "wilder," more "processed," lo-fi/grungy, deep/complex, etc. etc. And after researching this, I came to the conclusion that for under $500, the DP/4 was actually the ideal box for these purposes! So I've decided to hold onto it. I don't think I fully appreciated it until I got something else of a very different flavor...

DP/4+ & Rumour is a KILLER combination for well under $750!