outboard reverb...which?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Dubersive

Re: outboard reverb...which?

Post by Dubersive » Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:12 am

CfNorENa wrote:
Dubersive wrote:Well, I jumped on it. The seller lowered the price again, and I couldn't pass it up. Hope my experience with it will be similar to yours :D

Now I need to sell my DP/4...argh.
Well, if your experience really is similar to mine, then you should hold onto that DP/4+! After getting to know my Rumour better, I'm really loving it for all the things that attracted me to it in the first place: very clean sound, very musical, very easy to navigate. But in playing more and more with it, I've realized that what I should get to complement it is something that is just the opposite: something "wilder," more "processed," lo-fi/grungy, deep/complex, etc. etc. And after researching this, I came to the conclusion that for under $500, the DP/4 was actually the ideal box for these purposes! So I've decided to hold onto it. I don't think I fully appreciated it until I got something else of a very different flavor...

DP/4+ & Rumour is a KILLER combination for well under $750!
:facepalm: s**t, I just got back from selling my DP/4 to a local synth-enthusiast.... Got 250 euros for it at least - plus I got to play a Korg PS-3300 and a handful of other insanely rare synths (research modulars are f**k awesome).

Will probably be hanging out with that guy more often :yahoo:

Oh well. I figured that the Kurzweil Rumour would satiate my reverb needs, and I can later add a Filterbank 2/OTO Biscuit plus a Mangler into the mix when I have the money. I've already promised that I'll be spending that 250 on X-Mas gifts...so I'm past the point of no return I guess.
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Post by vinyl_junkie » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:22 am

Just picked up a LXP-15 for 100 quid after playing with my mates LXP-1, we stuck a DX-100 though it and it sounded so lush...
Also just brought the v 2.0 EPROM for the Lexi to make it into a LXP-15 II, can't wait to get it through the post and try it out.

Also this may sound surprising or just plain odd but the Zoom 1202 can deliver some nice results...esp with the right synth sound, dirt cheap too

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:01 am

Find myself in agreement with your ears mr junkie! I've got a LXP5 which is mostly delay and pitchshifting but it does have a single hall reverb algorithm and that sounds excellent, for character it craps on my (now sold) MPX100.

The Zoom reverbs are great to my ears too, got a 1201 here and I'm tempted to get a 1204. The 1201 is on the hissy side though, wish I knew how to mod it.

All these reverbs are very dependent on what you feed them though, it's too easy to get a new one, feed it something inappropriate and write it off as rubbish.

aeon

Post by aeon » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:51 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Just picked up a LXP-15 for 100 quid after playing with my mates LXP-1, we stuck a DX-100 though it and it sounded so lush...
Also just brought the v 2.0 EPROM for the Lexi to make it into a LXP-15 II, can't wait to get it through the post and try it out.
Way to go - the LXP15 II is a whole bunch of lush goodness for little coin.

cheers,
Ian

upfineclouds

Post by upfineclouds » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:36 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:Speaking of a "15" tray" What are some opinions on an actual analog spring reverb unit for synthesizers? I guess it might end up being limiting if you want to create a really subtle space...maybe... I've never actually used one.
I'm using a Demeter RVB-1 Reverbulator with my DX7 and it turns this keyboard into an almost electro-acoustic instrument - it sounds totally awesome. The reverb has two Accutronics short spring tanks which can be used in three modes:

- long: two tanks connected one after another so that you get a long reverb decay time. It compensates for the fact that it is a rather small-ish pedal.
- short: only one tank is activated, shorter decay, very watery and bright sound, great on oldfashioned sci-fi sounds
- both: two tanks connected in parallel - a unique smooth and rich reverb, more resembling a hall than the spring

Being an analogue reverb it's quite limited but you can do very subtle and great sounding spaces too, especially when set to both tanks in parallel. While it cannot replace a good digital reverb for very long decays and huge spaces, it sounds fantastic for what it is.

The only thing that annoys me is the location of the input and output connections. I'd much prefer to have them on the side or at the back of the unit, even if the case was a bit bigger to accommodate this.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:36 pm

Those little old Lexicons, such as the LXP-1, are amazing reverbs. Very lush, and just editable *enough*.

The Holy Grail Reverb is surprisingly good too. Again, not very editable, but that one knob almost even makes it more fun to use, cause you spend more time playing than tweaking.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:21 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote: Also just brought the v 2.0 EPROM for the Lexi to make it into a LXP-15 II, can't wait to get it through the post and try it out.
Where did you get that?

I've got the 5 controller sockets on my LXP-15II hooked up to rackmounted pots, there's a lot of control in this box. Click through to the last pic here and you'll see it in the rack.

The Glide delay is fun, it allows you to modulate the delay time smoothly, much like an analogue box. These control changes are transmitted over MIDI too. I've had mine for7 years now, and it's still a very useful box.

65% of the time it's on the Hall preset though! :)

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:11 pm

Sure I got the v2 EPROM from this guy http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ta256/
He seems to sell them from time to time.

Got the LXP-15 this Sunday morning as the delivery driver left it round a neighbors, first thing I notice is the "funny smell" hmmm I know this smell but not sure where from.
Regardless I plug it in and other than the noisy (buzzy) output the sound is just AMAZING!!! Didn't find it that hissy.
The OS is a little sluggish as I still haven't got the new OS from America to turn it into a LXP15 II, the Data knob needs a service as the values jump or don't like to change but nothing major..it's just a simple pot that's readily available or serviceable as a temp fix.
So I take off the lid and Holy *uck shi* The Power Supply capacitors have blown up, leaked and burned the f*ck out the board around them!! Ahhhh that's what the smell was! lol This also explains the buzzy output I guess
I REALLY hope I can fix this, replacing the caps is easy BUT when they blew up they REALLY did some damage to the board, what made it all worse is Lexicon glued them at the bottom...cos of the pressure build up and them not being able to vent properly cos of the glue well you get the picture...you can see the track starting to lift as the cap is all pushed up.
God damn Lexicon for using Nichicon caps!
If any one has one of these PLEASE check the 1000uF Nichicon capacitors as your unit could suffer from this!
Will report back once it's all cleaned up, caps changed and in action

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:26 pm

Sorry to hear about that, Nichicon's are supposed to be one of the best though aren't they?

Anyone care to post a Demo of the LXP-15? Could you Madtheory? I'd really like to hear it in action. :)

PS: MT - Sweet mixing desk you have there, how many channels?

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Mon Dec 13, 2010 2:47 pm

I think they used to be good but then had some bad luck with some dodgy formula thy got which dented their reputation..I think
I'll just stick some Panasonic FC series caps in there and clean it up. I'll do a demo of it once I have it up and running.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:57 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Anyone care to post a Demo of the LXP-15? Could you Madtheory? I'd really like to hear it in action. :)
All of the tracks in my player except numbers 1, 9 and 13 feature the Lex on reverb duties. Track 10 makes a feature of it feeding back through the desk on reverb, delay and flange settings.
Hybrid88 wrote:PS: MT - Sweet mixing desk you have there, how many channels?
Listed here.
Last edited by madtheory on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:30 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:Sorry to hear about that, Nichicon's are supposed to be one of the best though aren't they?
There were some counterfeit ones running around at some point, and several manufacturers got burned by them.

I must confess I'm not a fan of spring reverbs in general. It seems to me that everything you put into a spring reverb comes out sounding like the spring. Although I have been toying with the idea of making a spring reverb out of one of those huge honkin' garage door springs... :shock:

I'll second the recommendation for the Lexicon MPX series; I've been happy with my MPX500. I actually use the "ambient" settings more than the room/hall reverbs. $450 is way too much for a used one; I'm thinking more like $200.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:51 pm

Irrelevant post deleted
Last edited by madtheory on Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

colmon

Post by colmon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:12 pm

since we're talking about lexicons, how do people feel about the lxp series? i'm looking for something small to compliment my current paired down tabletop setup. will mainly be used for long drone-y halls

aeon

Post by aeon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:42 pm

colmon wrote:since we're talking about lexicons, how do people feel about the lxp series?
small coin, big sound, seek out a LXP-15 II. Or perhaps a LXP-1, but it isn't front-panel programmable, but is so via MIDI.

cheers,
Ian