outboard reverb...which?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
aeon

Re: outboard reverb...which?

Post by aeon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 am

portland wrote:Thanks, that's good to know. I've been thinking of a Powercore Express if I want a reverb upgrade. I generally like reverbs that are either very realistic or so unrealistic they don't even necessarily resemble spaces anymore (and Reaktor covers the latter).
The t.c. electronic models I mentioned use a reverb technique called "point-source" - the main character is the early reflections and first echo circulants, both based on the stereo placement of the source send.

This is in opposition to "diffuse cloud" reverbs, such as Lexicon - where the main character is from the RT60 tail, usually with some degree of internal modulation.
chordmemories wrote:Also, has anyone had a chance to compare the M3000 to the M One XL? Is it just a matter of stepping down in terms of conversion quality and processing power (ie tails are not as smooth/natural?) or is there more? RTFM I know but...
My sense of the two (well, I used to have a M3000 and M-One (not XL) - now I have just the M3000) is that the sound is near-identical. The real difference between the two is the UI and build quality. The M3000 is solid, the M-One, not so much. I've heard an anecdotal report from a t.c. rep who said the M-One uses the same VSS3 algo as the M3000.
chordmemories wrote:Aeon I was wondering if you could place the Dynacord DRP20 in context with other reverbs? In looking around I have only found opinions on whether it is good or not, without much comparison. Would you place it close to the SRV-330, R7/DPS-V77, Rumour, M3000, Eventide or Lex Model 300?
I own every reverb you just listed but I don't own, nor do I have any experience with, the Dynacord DRP20, sorry.
madtheory wrote:The Dynacord reverb is exactly the same as the Sony, according to Roger Nichols. Sony bought the algorithm from them IIRC.
This is the first I have heard of this, and reports on Gearslutz from those with experience suggest otherwise. I don't know for sure.

I know Sony had licensing deals with Ibanez back in the day as it concerns the shared algos of the Sony MUR-201 and Ibanez SDR1000 and 1000+.

cheers,
Ian

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Thanks.

I saw that you had mentioned the Dynacord in an earlier post. I guess the same good reputation that caused me to ask about it is what caused you to put in on the list.

There are a few up on eBay so I am tempted but I am hoping to get a little more detail. I am looking to get (2) reverb units in the near future so I am trying to narrow my options a little. There are so many enticing flavors but I have to imagine that some are more essential than others.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:12 pm

aeon wrote:This is the first I have heard of this, and reports on Gearslutz from those with experience suggest otherwise. I don't know for sure.

I know Sony had licensing deals with Ibanez back in the day as it concerns the shared algos of the Sony MUR-201 and Ibanez SDR1000 and 1000+.
You're exactly right, I mixed up Ibanez with Dynacord. This is the article I was thinking of:
http://www.rogernichols.com/EQ/EQ_97-08.html

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:45 am

Are EHX reverb pedals (holy grail, cathedral, whatever) suitable for synthesizers or are they more of a guitars-only product?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:51 pm

smoothcriminal wrote:Are EHX reverb pedals (holy grail, cathedral, whatever) suitable for synthesizers or are they more of a guitars-only product?
Do a search, people talk about the Holy/ier/iest Grails all the time. EHX verbs are generally lush and nice sounding but tend to have some noise issues and occasionally quality control problem (though EHX has got a little better about this).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

colmon

Post by colmon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:54 am

Joey wrote:
SPX reverbs are very silky and animated - thats probably the best way i could describe them, they dont sound like real rooms, but like beautiful silky shiny synthetic spaces
this is EXACTLY the sound i'm after, thanks

came across the rex-50 which appears to have the same fx algos as the spx 50. it's one of those messed up answer machine looking tabletop boxes that Yamaha seemed so fond of in the late 80s

anybody used one? opinions? it would really suit me size wise

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:21 pm

Have a REX. Great box. It's an SPX-90 mark 1 inside, except it doesn't have freeze on the reverb. It does have silly distortion, great Hall reverb, compressor is silly fun.

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:10 pm

ok last one honest... any opinions on the Yamaha R-100 half rack? there's little to no info on this box out there

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:28 pm

That is a horrible sounding box predating the vastly superior SPX, although if it's less than EUR10 it may have some charm.

colmon

Post by colmon » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:18 am

thanks dude. gonna go for either an spx-90 or a rex-50. leaning towards the spx just because i assume it will sound slightly darker than the rex

colmon

Post by colmon » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:06 am

snagged a rex-50 for 1000 yen (about £7.00/$12.00).

very impressed with the reverbs. the halls are very selected ambient works vol. ii. especially enjoying the distortion + reverb algo, just driving the reverb slightly sounds so good

it's in a complete state though. tactile buttons don't work properly and all the screw docks in the case are broken

Dubersive

Post by Dubersive » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:43 pm

I don't think I've seen anyone mention the Vermona Retroverb yet...

I really enjoyed the Retroverb during the short time I had with it. Can sound incredibly lush or crazy and chaotic. The EQ and VCF/VCA sections almost turn it into a little analog multi-effects unit. It's also incredibly quiet for a spring reverb. I miss it and wish I could have kept it. Oh, and the crash button is very fun!

Some would say it's too expensive, especially if you're in the States. If you can pick one up used and in good shape, I think it's definitely worth it.

Edit: Oh yeah, I received the Kurzweil Rumour about a week ago, and have been messing around with it quite a bit. Just wanted to say what everyone else in this thread has been saying: it is indeed a great little reverb unit for not a lot of cash. Very easy to use with tons of great and usable algos! I recommend it =D>
[ Cwejman S1 MK2 / Korg MS-20 / SQ-10 | TR-606 | Eurorack stuff ]

audible
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by audible » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:45 am

tallowwaters wrote:
Still would be nice to have a VerbFactor though...
Sort of.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... mpbox.html
"The concern of the musician is music. The concern of the professional musician is business. Only become a professional musician if there is no choice." Robert Fripp.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:08 am

audible wrote:
tallowwaters wrote:
Still would be nice to have a VerbFactor though...
Sort of.

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2011/01 ... mpbox.html
Cue people not complaining that the production costs of the video will jack up the price. :D

I'm pretty interested in this, even though I've already got a Timefactor and an Eclipse. Is there something wrong with me?

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:30 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:...Is there something wrong with me?
Nothing wrong with liking Eventide, they make extremely solid products. In fact I'd almost say not wanting one means there's something terribly wrong :lol:

On a side note, I just snagged a nice H3000 D/SE. I'm keen to try it out on some synths, pretty much been wanting one since I heard the lurrvly reverb/delays, happy times :D