outboard reverb...which?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rockmanrock

Re: outboard reverb...which?

Post by rockmanrock » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:31 pm

colmon wrote:snagged a rex-50 for 1000 yen (about £7.00/$12.00).

very impressed with the reverbs. the halls are very selected ambient works vol. ii. especially enjoying the distortion + reverb algo, just driving the reverb slightly sounds so good

it's in a complete state though. tactile buttons don't work properly and all the screw docks in the case are broken
I had to replace the tact switches on mine. I got them soldered in then realised the plungers on them were slightly too high for the case to close completely so I've got some strips of cardboard packing in there which works well enough. The new switches are a huge improvement.

It is a gritty box. Sounds great but I keep wondering if I should try an SPX90.

colmon

Post by colmon » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:18 pm

mine is completely f**k, stinks of cigarette smoke, white font is yellowed w/ tar, scratches and cracks all over the clear plastic as if something fell on it, screws missing, screw docks snapped off, weird probably tar induced corrosion all over the inner metal case. board is fine though and it works ok, i just feel slightly disgusted having it in my room. it stinks. anyway, i discarded the metal case and the buttons seem to be working now

def gonna pick up an spx90

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:53 am

I don't think they're that different. Same converter in the REX50 and the SPX 90 mark 1. Possibly different analogue bits though I would think the distinctive tone of the reverb would swamp the effect of that.

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Finally pulling the trigger this month on a reverb or possibly two. I know I am getting a Roland SRV-330. I like my SDE-330 sonically and can program it fairly easily, so this is a no-brainer. I will be running wire directly from the SDE into the SRV to save channels (easy to flip if the need arises). Eventually I am going to get an Eventide, probably an Eclipse, when I can afford. So the question remains, what will be reverb number 2?

I am looking at Lexicon for all the obvious reasons. My question is, if I want something warm and deep and sounding of large spaces, something to run my pads into for that extra bit of lushness, which Lexicon am I looking at? I can't afford a 300 or anything more expensive than that.

PCM70 - Seems to be of the generation of Lexicons I want (dark/lush), but most people are using it to put drums in small rooms. Can this also do big space? Mono in sucks but I can deal with it!

PCM81 - Supposedly a little bit cleaner and more natural than the 70. Not a positive in this case. MultiFX would help add movement to pads but I am more more concerned about the reverb character than anything else. I can always put a chorus inline...

PCM90/91 - You tell me.

EDIT: DPS-V77 - Same.

Thanks.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm

How about the MPX1? Less than half the price of a used PCM but uses the Lexichip for reverb and other DSP for everything else. A better bet than any of the low-priced new Lex units.

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Post by Zarith » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:36 pm

Unless you are looking for a specific vintage or low fi sound, you should always get the latest technology. Reverb algorithms always benefit from faster processors and high-end converters. Reverb is pure calculation. The more delays the processor can generate and filter, the better.

The Lexicon PCM70 and PCM90 are old. They sounded great in the early nineties, but I think you will be disappointed now. With high mix value, long tail, they sounds quite nasty (a bit like the mono reverb included in low cost workstation). Personally I wouldn't recommend it.

In terms of depth and realism, a 2011 reverb unit always sounds better than a 1990 one: less noise, wider dynamic range, longer tails, better diffusion, cleaner peaks, rich stereo image,...

I just got myself a little TC electronic "Hall of Fame" pedal. It's just amazing how rich it sounds compared to my "old" reverb units (Alesis Microverb, Sony DPS V55M, and a Lexicon MPX500). At a fraction of the costs, it offers me a more natural sound, with incredible tails.

On this video you can see it in action:

(go directly at 08:16 to ear "big'" reverb effect)

For a more complete outboard unit I would recommend a modern Lexicon or TC electronic: The Lexicon MX300 for example.

And if you really want to add a "retro" vibe, then just filter the output, bit-reduce it, and add some noise ;)

chordmemories

Post by chordmemories » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:56 pm

Thanks for your responses!

Nathanscribe:
The MPX1 has been on my list for a while but I found myself with a bit of spare cash and feel like I can spring for a PCM. I think the algos in the PCMs may be of a higher quality, but that might just be rumor.

Zarith:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I am looking for a bit of a "faker" sound. Even though I don't have direct experience with their boxes, from what I understand, TC is known for having the most natural-sounding 'verbs so the difference you are hearing might have as much to do with manufacturer as date of construction. I definitely want to add a currently-manufactured TC box in at some point.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:55 pm

aeon wrote:
portland wrote:As for the LXP-15, I guess I'm not so impressed by it. I didn't have time to edit it at all, but the big & medium rooms were very unrealistic. Very "lush", but very obvious and dated. The small rooms sounded better to me. Now, this reverb is probably better than most synth's internal effects or free reverb vsts, but if I was going to buy a dedicated outboard reverb I'd look elsewhere unless I was on a major budget. It did seem to show some potential for ambient effects.
Fair call - I wouldn't get said Lexicon if I wanted realistic. Its strength, and the strength of many of Lexicon's models and algorithms is that it can deliver surreal, lush, colored places.
I was complaining about the fakeness of the LXP-15 earlier, but I actually used the long hall preset for a live doom-metal band vocal and it was perfect. I EQ's out one feedback frequency on the mic, but other than that it was just a 58 and the lexicon. Unrealistic yes, but I suppose that can still be a good choice outside of electronic music, especially in a live setting where the audience wouldn't be able to capture the realistic nuances anyway.