Roland Space Echo

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Roland Space Echo

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:23 pm

I just noticed the other day that Roland, using 'COSM', has made a pedal that is supposed to emulate the old analogue one perfectly. Is this true? Anyone have one? I need something for the M5.

MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Re: Roland Space Echo

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Yes it's true, it's been around for at least a couple of years. Where have you been, outer space ? ;)
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:35 pm

Psy_Free wrote:Yes it's true, it's been around for at least a couple of years. Where have you been, outer space ? ;)
Actually, I've been in inner space. :D

However, to those that know, is the emulation good enuff and faithful to the spirit and sound of the old one. It would save me $400 (difference from a Moog analogue pedal). I also like the idea of a stereo send and recieve.

Where I live, Nova Scotia, we're not saturated with new gear and information even though the whole province is bigger than England, there are less that a million people here, maybe less than 3/4 even. I would imagine that the UK is saturated with music stores and information is more in your face. If I didn't see this on the 'net, I may not have known about it. It's true.

So, again, does anyone have one? Impressions? Thoughts? Buy it?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Post by Psy_Free » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:47 pm

I have one. I've only used an original 201 briefly a while ago so I can't compare them accurately, but I know someone who has a 201 and one of these and he says it's pretty close (but he's a guitarist). The delay time on the RE-20 is also longer than on the 201.

As for the thing itself, I think it's great. Very nice spacey reverb and classic tape delay sound, turn up the delay intensity and you get total tape saturation feedback. To my ears, sounds better than many other reverb/delay combos, certainly than any digital ones I've heard/used.

Boss have used the same technology to make a CE-20 (analogue-style chorus) and a few other effects.

BTW I was only joking about the outer space bit. :) I only find out about stuff by checking DV247.com every few weeks to see what's about and by checking here once in a blue moon.
Last edited by Psy_Free on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud

Dogboy73

Post by Dogboy73 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:48 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Where I live, Nova Scotia.
Much work out there? I just love the idea of living in a place called Nova Scotia :)

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:48 pm

RE-20 My favorite pedal of all time! Get one now.

Here's another one for ya.
RT-20 Rotary Ensemble
Fantastic, that.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:05 pm

Dogboy73 wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Where I live, Nova Scotia.
Much work out there? I just love the idea of living in a place called Nova Scotia :)
Depends what you want to do. If you play Celtic music, you'll be in 7th heaven. It's a gorgeous place and the Cabot Trail is one of the best drives in the world (apparently). Service jobs are available. IT work is available and we have a fairly healthy Film industry too.

Here's a postcard pic of our province.

Herring Cove, which is stone's throw from where I live.

Here's a link to other pics.

http://www.google.ca/images?q=nova+scot ... 04&bih=633
Psy_Free wrote:...

BTW I was only joking about the outer space bit. :) I only find out about stuff by checking DV247.com every few weeks to see what's about and by checking here once in a blue moon.
I knew that and I got the joke. Thanks for the link. I do get insulated sometimes and there's not much call around here for what I do musically, now when I did Europe, that was another story. I loved Amsterdam!

I'm going down to the Musicstore and either rent one or buy one (30 days return policy) and see. I used to have Univox and was apprehensive of putting an analogue synth through a digital signal path.

Thanks to everyone. I love VSE.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:38 pm

do a search, been plenty of discussion about it in the past. i haven't had one but IIRC everyone i've heard chime in who's had an actual tape echo as well has not been happy w/ the pedal.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I keep hearing the UAD-2 plugin is more accurate. The character you get from worn out tapes, heads out of calibration, wow and flutter, and self-oscillating feedback, are generally the places to compare the emulation to the real thing.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:50 pm

I have the UAD-1 and can vouch for the quality of their emulations in general. Can't add anything about their Space Echo as I've never messed around w/ it or the original tape version. What I like about UA stuff is their dedicated processor keeps CPU resources from being drained.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:02 pm

space6oy wrote:do a search, been plenty of discussion about it in the past. i haven't had one but IIRC everyone i've heard chime in who's had an actual tape echo as well has not been happy w/ the pedal.
Did, doing it and done. Thanks for your input! Great advice. 8-)
Solderman wrote:I keep hearing the UAD-2 plugin is more accurate. The character you get from worn out tapes, heads out of calibration, wow and flutter, and self-oscillating feedback, are generally the places to compare the emulation to the real thing.
I don't use a computer for composition. I use a stand alone digital work station and then burn to CD. Most of my efforts (90%) are done in real time overdub.

I just rented one for a month to try - nothing like practical hands on research.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:46 pm

no way is any digital or analog delay even close to the real re-201 the holy mother of tape

the boss is pretty good though just not the real thing
for sale/trade: EML-101

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:31 am

I owned an RE-20, it was pretty good but had a frequency peak around 1-2k that I always pulled out with EQ. Maybe that works on guitars but on synths I'd prefer something flatter. As soon as I tried a Timefactor I sold the RE-20, the Timefactor sounds much, much better. I've heard the El Capistan is great too, but haven't used one myself.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:26 am

Best heed the recommendation if you've got five thousand delay pedals. BTW, your new avatar has nice petals.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun Jan 30, 2011 12:01 pm

Did some hands on testing last night and came to the basic agreement that, yes it's quite good and would be very useful but because I have a Korg SDD 4000 and Korg Kaos pad 2, these will do for now. The KAOS had some 'close' moments in side by sides comparisons with the RE 20. Therefore , decided, way before my 30 days are up on this demo, to take it back.