Guitar Amps

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
New Addiction
Gear: Blofeld

Guitar Amps

Post by New Addiction » Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:39 pm

Not only am I a newbie here on vintagesynth.com but I am a newbie to the world of synths. I've been a rocking guitarist since age 10. But now I just got my first aynth at age 37 and I am addicted!

It's a pain in the behind to always have to turn on my computer rig every time I want to play my synth. And I have slight ringing in the ears so I don't like to wear headphones to much. So I am wondering if it's ok to run a synth through a guitar amp at low volumes. I have a little combo amp with one 12inch speaker. Should this be ok or will the low bass sounds possibly blow out my speaker?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Re: Guitar Amps

Post by tallowwaters » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi, moved your topic to Sound Production, the place to talk about sound once it enters into the world or peripherals.

Anyhow, a guitar amp will color your sound (round off a good deal of bottom end, some higher frequencies, and will pop the 'middle' frequencies) and yes, it is possible to kill that little speaker. Keep everything at a reasonable volume and don't try to break out any West Coast bass drops and you should be okay.

It would perhaps be worthwhile to invest in a small/cheap PA or a keyboard amp (no Peavey!).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:41 pm

If you have a decent home hi-fi system you could also run it through that (at reasonable volumes of course) for less coloration than the guitar amp.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

bigman2005

Post by bigman2005 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:52 pm

The sound you hear on Van Halen's 1984 album is Eddie playing his OB8 through a Marshall Amp, so it's not uncommon to run your synth through an amp.