i followed the trend now i don`t know what to do

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
nu-tellar

i followed the trend now i don`t know what to do

Post by nu-tellar » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:13 am

ok guys, i will no beat my self here. i right know trying to find myself to what i set out to do when i first got into this game. i started a little over two years maybe three there is something i learn along the way. i also too something off as i as in honey moon with my girlfriend :D . but, i need my music now and no just play around but, i want to get something done.

the thing is i kind of want to slin down my set up or kind of. i see many of the vse members and gearslutz member have pretty big set up. i don`t know how would you guys do it but to me is becoming a problem to pick a synth and have a go. i would said i have even lose perspective of what i want as i have started to listen to the music i grew up hearing and what are my influences and the kind of synth i am getting now i don`t feel like is suited to the music i hear in my head.

the biggest problem with me is no so much the synth that are just tone synth but the ones that have sequencers in itself too.

this is what it is

i have prophet 08
moog lt
those two i like pretty much and no problem there ask i have no problem programing them or just using them as a sound module programing then from other sequencer.

now this is the real problem i also have machinedrum, monomachine, mpc 1000, jomox xbase999, and korg m3.

this grooveboxes i don`t know how to work with them or lets sait how to intagrade them in my workflow i started using digital performer and, added stuff too fast i dare said. i have a time where i just read the manual for all of them and check and play with each to see waht they where capable of.

now that i want to make some music i don`t know how to do it. especially the elektron boxes i mean they are fun i have don`t killer loops but their just 1 or too bar loops and what i hear in my head the groove i want i never get it from this machine. the mpc i like how i can bang the drum pattern with a little of human feel.

i have try to sell some stuff but i just can, especially as i have no try their full potencial i am afraid i will regret it later. what to do vse member how do you dael in this situation. i just want to create a nice work flow to work in.

also how do some of you guys with multiples powerful sequencers work. do you just decide to use one for a project? perhaps you synch multiple sequencer and record the performances or do you just do loops and arrange them later. :? :?

smoothcriminal

Re: i followed the trend now i don`t know what to do

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:27 am

Did you say you know how to use the Elektrons but don't like the workflow, or you can't figure out how to use them?

All your gear is great (with the exception of the m3, i dont know anything about it). I can see how "slimming down" would be a tough decision. Here's my suggestions:

1. Use the machinedrum as a sequencer controlling the monomachine, moog, & prophet (sellgive me everything else)
2. Use the MPC as a sequencer controlling the xbase, prophet & moog (and sellgive to me the Elektrons and the m3).

Lots of people make great music with just the Machinedrum/monomachine combo and nothing else. I think they are designed to work in tandem. If you go that route one of them (I think Machinedrum) would also act as your sequencer, because they are too complex to be fully controlled by another sequencer, they have great interfaces supposedly and you can tweak and sequence live maybe...

MPC makes a great sequencer and a great drum machine (if you put drum samples on it or hook it to a drum module). IMHO it's redundant to have an MPC and a Machinedrum in the same setup. They both have their pros and cons.

The M3 looks like a workstation, so it's possible you'd be more comfortable using the sequencer on that. It does appear to have a bigger LCD display than the MD or MPC and you could use it as a master keyboard as well. I have no idea about workstations.

If you sell your Xbase, sample a bunch of sounds from it onto whatever sampler you keep.

Just kind of rambling here, hope it helps.

FYI I use an MPC as a sequencer/drum machine/sampler, controlling a microQ's 4 synth tracks, and a cheap 61-key keyboard as a master controller. That's my whole setup. I'd like to add one more desktop synth and some effects just for character, but right now it's all very streamlined and easy to jam with.
Last edited by smoothcriminal on Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:14 am, edited 7 times in total.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:55 am

if I don't use it, or have a sentimental attachment to it, it goes after a few months. It comes down to personal preference, but for some reason with synths, I trade em out if I am not loving them..Guitars are a different story...I have only sold two guitars, and I regret selling each of them...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:35 am

I try to learn everything I buy inside out before I buy anything else, so that way I know the limitations of my setup and I know how it can all work together before I add to it. I think there are a lot of people who have big setups because they have more money than time to learn what they already have, and it's easier to buy something new to try to fill a perceived gap than to learn how to work around it with your current setup.

I use both an MPC2500 and Live to sequence stuff, I use Live for the stuff Live's good for and the MPC for the stuff the MPC is good for.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:35 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:it's easier to buy something new to try to fill a perceived gap than to learn how to work around it with your current setup.
Surely you're correct, but I think the OP was asking what he can get rid of to make his setup more straightforward to work with, rather than asking what else he can buy to make it easier.

In terms of workflow I don't think you can beat dual Elektrons, but if someone knows how to use them and just doesn't get along with how they work, there's no getting around that.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:33 am

smoothcriminal wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:it's easier to buy something new to try to fill a perceived gap than to learn how to work around it with your current setup.
Surely you're correct, but I think the OP was asking what he can get rid of to make his setup more straightforward to work with, rather than asking what else he can buy to make it easier.
I'm pretty sure stabs point was that the reason people have bloated amounts of hardware is because they're not good enough on the gear they have, not suggesting that he goes out and buys more gear :roll:
smoothcriminal wrote: In terms of workflow I don't think you can beat dual Elekrons, but if someone knows how to use them and just doesn't get along with how they work, there's no getting around that.
Well you've all seen TronDC's music yes? that man doesn't even need two elektrons to make nice music :?

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:53 am

tekkentool wrote:the reason people have bloated amounts of hardware is because they're not good enough on the gear they have :roll:
That's water under the bridge, isn't it? The OP knows he's got bloated amounts of hardware and he knows he can't use it all - even if he steps up his skills and starts rocking out with everything he's got, he'll still have bloated amounts of hardware. That's why he's asking us for suggestions about how to slim it down so he can focus on maximizing his capabilities with a more manageable, modest setup.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:47 am

And my suggestion is to spend time learning it all and then it will become obvious what needs to go. Nobody on this forum is a mind reader, they can't look through their computers and magically tell which instruments somebody they've never met is going to click with and which they should get rid of.

smoothcriminal

Post by smoothcriminal » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:And my suggestion is to spend time learning it all and then it will become obvious what needs to go.
Now that's a good suggestion =D>
I'm not a mind-reader but I can see how some of the gear listed could be redundant with other gear. But of course it's up to the OP to decide which he clicks with.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:55 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:And my suggestion is to spend time learning it all and then it will become obvious what needs to go. Nobody on this forum is a mind reader, they can't look through their computers and magically tell which instruments somebody they've never met is going to click with and which they should get rid of.
I agree with this, with the one exception of inspiration and passion...Some machines elicit hard core passion to learn, dig in, and love...some instruments are the kinds of things that keep bringing me back into the studio, even when I am dog a*s tired after another 12 hour day at work....other boxes I get and soon learn that it is not a passion inspiring machine. I cleared out all excess to almost zero a few years ago, and started back up...since then it takes me a long time to buy something new, as cliche and terrible as it sounds, I need to feel the love for any machine that comes into my studio regardless of spec...

I would challenge the OP to say what items doesn't he care to spend any time with at all, and see if he can identify why he doesn't want to invest anything in learning them? Is it an ultra c**p UI? Is it a problem with the native sounds it makes? etc..then they can understand which things they want to invest in, and why, as well as which things they don't want to invest any more time into. Hopefully this can make for some pretty easy math.

Remember, you are the currator of your own studio...get the things you want. Don't keep things you don't like, even if people on the internets tell you otherwise. These are just the tools of your creative practice.

So yeah, what Stab said...learn what you have so you can make as informed a decision as possible, but I'd add in the element of what do you actually want to learn, or get out of a synth...there are plenty of machines out there that "everyone" must have, but unless you enjoy collecting, curate your studio with the things that matter most to you...

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:03 am

Well said.

THEODICY

Post by THEODICY » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:30 am

What kind of music (as close genre to it) are you hearing in your head that you'd like to express?

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:33 am

smoothcriminal wrote:Did you say you know how to use the Elektrons but don't like the workflow, or you can't figure out how to use them?

see like them i think they are powerful they are fun, but i don`t know if i am clicking with the quantize sequencer. like i sequence something a one bar loop and is all good but, sometimes pretty cool and everything but is i program a drum sound put some delay in it and play it with live i have much more fun and i find myself grooving with it more. you get what i am saying of course some thing it works great to sequence whole patterns with it but i find that i get closer to what i hear in my head playing live drum. but i now they are powerful and i want to try to give it a real good chance of incorporating it in my set up.

be it either doing just loop and them arranging them in the computer or doing complete drum tracks. if, it is possible. or maybe i should just sell it and use something that i like right of the bat.

All your gear is great (with the exception of the m3, i dont know anything about it). I can see how "slimming down" would be a tough decision. Here's my suggestions:

if anything go i think that will be the first some how i don`t like it that it has so many preset that i won`t probably use and i don`t like the pianos which is what i mainly bought it for.
hyphen nation wrote:if I don't use it, or have a sentimental attachment to it, it goes after a few months. It comes down to personal preference, but for some reason with synths, I trade em out if I am not loving them..Guitars are a different story...I have only sold two guitars, and I regret selling each of them...
i should probably sell the m3 and maybe virus ti snow i if, ihave to use a computer it can be done with software. the thing that i don`t like about selling is that i bought everything new and i am going to take major lose. like in the m3 i bougth it when it came out for $2000 and all the upgrates now it don`t even go for have. and, i am a dummy to sell on the interweb.
Stab Frenzy wrote:I try to learn everything I buy inside out before I buy anything else, so that way I know the limitations of my setup and I know how it can all work together before I add to it. I think there are a lot of people who have big setups because they have more money than time to learn what they already have, and it's easier to buy something new to try to fill a perceived gap than to learn how to work around it with your current setup.

you have a point my friend i got stuff to fast and, i work nearly 11 hour a day for 6 day. i should probably have the basics' set up to work with when i get home and buy as i see i need but, now is too late. i should probably discipline myself and put things away in the close and work with like one or two synth and a drum machine and do that per project them sell what i don`t click with... i am just trying to find a workflow that i like to work with.

I'm pretty sure stabs point was that the reason people have bloated amounts of hardware is because they're not good enough on the gear they have, not suggesting that he goes out and buys more gear :roll:

relaxe budhy i have learn a lot of thing along the way in acquiring all this gear., only just not how to made a song. :lol:

Well you've all seen TronDC's music yes? that man doesn't even need two elektrons to make nice music :?
he indeed make some nice music although that is no my takes. that is another thing that i feel where i don`t like the sequencer much because it quantizes everything to the note grid. are the elektron good for anything other than four on the floor music and blips and blops?.

anybody using them for pop music and hip pop, soft rock r&b. etc

nu-tellar

Post by nu-tellar » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:57 am

THEODICY wrote:What kind of music (as close genre to it) are you hearing in your head that you'd like to express?

i like hip pop, pop music, reggae, use to like reggeaton mostly all school, merengue, salsa, balada, and rock, and softrock.

that is the music i like i grew up when i was a kid listening to reggeaton because that is what with all like when i was a teenager but i also listen to what my father use to listen balada my father also have a store that sold liquor the people see in there and i would usually end it playing the music that was there. which was soft music like balada or (balad).

i never put an effor to collecting records mainly because i could no afford it when i was young, and now that i grew up i have try but, i live a visit like working and, the little of time i have i usually try to expended with family girl, or surfing the web playing music and reading books and manual. i also bought a iphone to build my music collection but i have no gotten to download any music in it.

sorry if i can be more specify of what kind of music i like and hear.

but, i do know what i hear in my head and that is all i am trying to express. i will said in go in between pop, hip pop, and balad. i like some techno and idm. but, i thing that is no the music that is in my head when i sit down and i grad an instrument.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 7:13 am

nu-tellar wrote:but, i do know what i hear in my head and that is all i am trying to express. i will said in go in between pop, hip pop, and balad. i like some techno and idm. but, i thing that is no the music that is in my head when i sit down and i grad an instrument.
You've got a lot of drum machines for that kind of stuff. :D

You could do all that with the MPC, P08, LP and M3, the rest are a bit overkill. The styles you're talking about are more about the song than the gear, I'd recommend spending more time working on your chord progressions and arrangements than fiddling with drum machines.

edit: fixed quotes