drum machines w/ individual outs

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

do you use individual outs, and if so how extensively?

nah, i just use the mains.
17%
i split the kick from the mix but nothing else.
6%
i do use a few individual outs, but never all of 'em...
54%
i split them all but run that to a mixer before recording. doesn't take up too many tracks that way.
9%
h**l yeah, i mean my recording setup has shitloads of inputs, why wouldn't i record them each to their own track? (kidding, am sure there are better reasons to be)
14%

Total votes : 35

drum machines w/ individual outs

Postby space6oy » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 am

just curious, thought it might be interesting for those of us who have drum machines with individual outputs to share how extensively we're using them. welcome to share what you're using, why and how you're using it the way you are.

i don't always use individual outs when doing a show or just messing around, but i do use some when recording. never all though. mainly with 808 & 909 i usually split the kick, snare and clap, sometimes the hi-hats, once in a while the cymbals with the hi-hats. basically because i'm guilty of using sidechain compression triggered by kick drums, like running the snare and/or clap through delays & reverbs different from the rest of the mix, similar reverb / phasing with hi-hat / cymbals. linndrum & others i usually just stick w/ the main outs.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Re: drum machines w/ individual outs

Postby kuroichi » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:02 pm

I always split all my sounds. When I had my 909, while messing with track ideas I would record a mono or stereo output, and then when I finalised my ideas I would record all sounds individually. With the Machinedrum Ive got now, it sometimes means I have to record in two takes, as there is only 6 outputs.

Funnily enough, I only usually add effects and reverb etc after Ive finished recording, and record all my tracks dry.

If I do something live, or something outside of studio recording I always use a stereo output.
Come on Bennett.... Let's Party!
kuroichi
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby tallowwaters » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:37 pm

Y'all don't use near enough drums in a mix. I could really use a drum machine with 16 outputs, and even then I would have to double up with 2 samples per out. What can I say? I'm a control freak that layers on percussion like he's a cut rate young Jim Thirwell.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.
tallowwaters

Gear: LC-MS/MS

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:26 pm

I used to have an individual output mod on my 606, but removed it due to noise - it was very handy though. I'd put the kick through a resonant HP filter and overdrive the snare. Currently having fun flanging the whole lot.

DR-55 has no option but I wouldn't mod it. I like the limitation on that machine.

RX-11 needs healthy EQ to sound its best, so individual outs when required. 9090 ditto, will process things like clap and snare separately as there's some phasing and low-cut on the main outs.

I used to use a Casio RZ-1 which I'd totally cane and the individual outs were always plugged in. The sample pads were allocated two to an output which was a shame but it was a fun machine anyway. Regret selling it to some extent.

If I was to buy another drum machine, anything less than four assignable outs (or a whole bunch of individual outs) would be a deal killer for me unless it was a specific 'character' machine like the CR-78 or Minipops.
nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Postby Z » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:01 pm

When I'm just messing around, I use the mix out unless I want to do something special with certain sounds. Just the other day, I was messing with my 808 and decided to run everything except kick & hit hat through a delay. When I (used to) record, I at least run kick, snare, hats and cymbals through their individual outs.

nathanscribe wrote:If I was to buy another drum machine, anything less than four assignable outs (or a whole bunch of individual outs) would be a deal killer for me unless it was a specific 'character' machine like the CR-78 or Minipops.

My CR-78 that I bought at a pawn shop around 20 years ago had been poorly modded with individual outs. I need to send it to my tech for propper wiring. I'd also love to mod one of my KR-55's with individual outs and trigger ins (anyone know of a source for plans, so my tech won't have to charge me a design fee?).
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Sexor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:34 am

Interesting poll.

I tend to just run the main outs while composing. Then, when tracking into Sonar, I just record a few passes with each sound solo'd. That way I don't have to mess around with any cables but get pretty much the same result.

Sometimes though, there is such nice interaction between sounds when running all of them out through the mains simultaneously, which is impossible to recreate if tracking to separate tracks.

Like the TR-606 for example. The kick, hats and cymbal interact so beautifully with each other. If you track each sound separately, you completely lose that magic.
Monkey business since 2007!
Sexor

Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Postby Sexor » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:45 am

A lot of people also forget the fact that some digital drum machines (like the 707 for example), have multiple D/A converters. The mixer is an analog mixer and the main out jack is the output of this mixer. This gives a far nicer result than having all the sounds go through one single D/A converter, a la Machinedrum.

The rule is pretty much this: by tracking the separate outs into your DAW, you gain more control over the mix, but lose the analog summing sound. Tough choice!
Monkey business since 2007!
Sexor

Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Postby Sir Nose » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I'd like to run them all individually to my mixer, but room is limited. So, I end up compromising. I'd like to get a 2nd mixer just for drums. EQ, headroom, effects, and triggering is why I run them individually to the mixer. Each channel has an out so I EQ and set the levels for dry and effected seperately. I am mainly working on live performance; so, going into the interface/recorder with the individual outs is not needed at this point.
Funkadelic wrote:nothing is good unless you play with it
all that is good is nasty
Sir Nose

Gear: Machinedrum, Octatrack, Moog LP, x0xb0x, Elka Solist 505, Simmons SDS-400

Postby pflosi » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:54 pm

In the studio, I only use the main outs. I do record most of the drum tracks solo though, to still have some control after recording. At least for simple loops that is, I sometimes like to mess with just a few instruments (claps, rimshots, cowbells usually) over the whole track, but then I normally use the main out too (having recorded simple kick / snare / hats loops before). I often record single drum instruments separately, but effected extensively. All the mixing is finally done in my DAW.

In live situations, I split at least the kick, most of the time also the snare from the main out. Sometimes also things like rides, to put it through phasers or something.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Postby theotherleadingbrand » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:30 pm

I usually run everything through my mixing board plus whatever I may be triggering to keep things simple. I guess the only drawback is that you are stuck with whatever panning and level choices you make at the outset.
It is better to be pissed off than to be pissed on.
theotherleadingbrand

Gear: Lotion, Basket. You know the drill.

Postby balma » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:55 pm

I try to use them if the sequence has too much sounds.

I use them if there are two sounds with similar frequencies, take one and send it apart.
Also, if there too much sounds using effects, I send the dry ones on the individual outputs.

To experiment with other synths inputs.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby n3wt15 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:51 am

I use a few, sometimes even just stereo. Depends how many drum machines I have going, and how many channels I have available. I prefer to have at least 4 channels per drum machine to work with, but sometimes need to compromise when at a live event.
n3wt15

Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Postby ninja6485 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:43 am

i usually record through the individual outs, or in the case of my 606, record separate tracks, although the 606 does sound nice as a mono track. different feels i'd say. something else i've done is grouped and panned several instruments of similar frequencies and recorded them together. at the very least i'll separate the kick and high hats from the rest of the mix, and maybe the snare. now i've started recording my drum machines in 8 or 16 bar segments into my samplers constructing programs of multiple sounds that are each assigned to a key. initially switching to individual outs helped my drums fill out the mix and gave a closer more professional sound, but i'm curious to see if i can get the same result now with the stereo outs given more experience at mixing. and eq...which was the main reason i separated the drum sounds in the first place. the 606 espeically needs some lows taken off the high hats and some moderation of the extreme highs, but it could just be some sort of hum comming from my particular setup.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...
ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Postby Joey » Sun May 01, 2011 6:58 pm

individual outs was the main reason i ditched my hardware drum machines for NI maschine... the amount of processing I was doing on each drum + layering + editing made recording hardware drums a real pain.

now i get all kinds of f**k and never have to worry about retracking
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Stab Frenzy » Mon May 02, 2011 7:52 am

Joey wrote:individual outs was the main reason i ditched my hardware drum machines for NI maschine... the amount of processing I was doing on each drum + layering + editing made recording hardware drums a real pain.

now i get all kinds of f**k and never have to worry about retracking

I do a similar thing with Drum Racks in Live. A lot of the time I use the MBase-01 for kick, no other option than tracking it by itself. The stuff I program in the MPC usually gets recorded into Live via the main outs, with each part soloed for a couple of measures then the whole lot is chopped and warped and arranged in Live how I want it to be. Just like multitracking from individual outs but with less cables involved.
Stab Frenzy

Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Next

Return to Sound Production