drum machines w/ individual outs

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.

do you use individual outs, and if so how extensively?

nah, i just use the mains.
17%
i split the kick from the mix but nothing else.
6%
i do use a few individual outs, but never all of 'em...
54%
i split them all but run that to a mixer before recording. doesn't take up too many tracks that way.
9%
h**l yeah, i mean my recording setup has shitloads of inputs, why wouldn't i record them each to their own track? (kidding, am sure there are better reasons to be)
14%

Total votes : 35

Re: drum machines w/ individual outs

Postby balma » Wed May 04, 2011 12:45 am

I dunno. individual outputs are so useful when you have synths with line in inputs. the effects from other synths can add another dimension to the sounds sent by an indivual output.

The command stations can produce very interesting sounds but they have a terrible effect section. So I use the sub1 and sub2 outputs from the emus and send them to the line in from the FIZMO and the Vsynth. The internal layers of a single patch can be routed to sub1 and sub2 and main by separated, that´s great.
His sex dungeons are rumored to hold hundreds of people in secret locations around the world.
https://soundcloud.com/balma
balma
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: DSI Tempest/Prophet 08/Roland V-Synth/Ensoniq Fizmo/E-mu MP7-XL7/Electribe ESX1/Radias/Waldorf MicroQ

Postby Solderman » Thu May 05, 2011 5:54 pm

After modding my TR606, the kick would distort the main outs at the necessary volume, so it always goes to the indie out. Others are mostly for panning purposes, and maybe a room effect on the snare, all from a Mackie compact mixer with dinky onboard effects.

You gotta try an envelope follower controlling a resonant highpass filter on the kick though. It's freaky-deeky.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby space6oy » Thu May 05, 2011 8:16 pm

have a recording to share?
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby astroidmist » Fri May 06, 2011 6:25 am

When I actually owned a drum machine with multiple outs (only two of them) I just put the Kick and Snare on the individual outs and ran everything else thru the mains. ( This wasn't an option in your poll. )

I really wish every drum machine had at least 4 to 8 individual outputs. I wonder why they don't. Even some modern drum machines don't have any individual outputs?!?!?!

Thankfully the better software VSTi samplers have multiple outputs. Poise has 16 for example and feels almost like a drum machine.
astroidmist

Postby Solderman » Sun May 08, 2011 10:58 pm

space6oy wrote:
Solderman wrote:You gotta try an envelope follower controlling a resonant highpass filter on the kick though. It's freaky-deeky.

have a recording to share?

Well, it's 4 minutes of complete wankery that would cause some to flee from the room, but it qualifies:
My modded 606 is going through both a Moog Voyager filter and the Electrix Filter Factory, the latter of which has the envelope follower controlling resonant highpass on both kick and snare.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby GuyaGuy » Mon May 09, 2011 12:24 am

I generally just use stereo outs but the DSI Tempest will have 6 outs and I shall try using all of them and it shall be awesome. But currently if I want to add an effect to just one drum part I'll record it separately.
GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: YES PLEASE!

Postby space6oy » Mon May 09, 2011 3:22 am

nothing bad about that solderman. lots of messing w/ gear is just dicking around. after that, if you haven't messed w/ bit reduction yet you should, you'll dig it.
space6oy

Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Postby Joey » Fri May 13, 2011 3:46 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
Joey wrote:individual outs was the main reason i ditched my hardware drum machines for NI maschine... the amount of processing I was doing on each drum + layering + editing made recording hardware drums a real pain.

now i get all kinds of f**k and never have to worry about retracking

I do a similar thing with Drum Racks in Live. A lot of the time I use the MBase-01 for kick, no other option than tracking it by itself. The stuff I program in the MPC usually gets recorded into Live via the main outs, with each part soloed for a couple of measures then the whole lot is chopped and warped and arranged in Live how I want it to be. Just like multitracking from individual outs but with less cables involved.

Live is definitely very good with the chopping and warping... but I'm a logic 8 user (don't have 9's flex time either!).

I could see how that would work for you...

funnily enough I've been considering picking up another hardware drum machine (either a vermona drm 1 or another machinedrum)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com
Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Postby Floorbanger » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:25 pm

Always love this site for synth & studio references :-) I was considering getting a patch bay to link up all TR individual outs! This way one can process the individual sounds, connect into a mixing desk & play tracks live on sliders - recording straight into the computer. This will require lots of looms! TR machines seem to have a swing & style which goes back to the original days of house & techno:-) Just gives more control over individual sounds. This is how house music was made back then, but still love that style & sound. Peace.
Floorbanger

Previous

Return to Sound Production