Mastering and Possibly Mixing Question

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Mastering and Possibly Mixing Question

Post by krzeppa » Mon Jun 06, 2011 5:20 pm

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this or not, but here it goes. I am almost done completing my album (just have 1 track to finish and touch up a few things on a couple others). I want this album to sound as professional as possible, and I don't really trust my mastering skills. I've made the stuff so far sound pretty good, but I know that it could sound better, especially if I had some better equipment to master it on.
So basically what I want to do is send all of my stuff out to get mastered by a professional. The music I make is more goth/industrial/darkwave related, and I am not sure where I should go to get this done. I live pretty close to Sweetwater Music, and I was thinking about having them do it, but when I go to their website, they don't have any examples of electronic music to listen to (they mostly have rock/funk/rap examples). I wonder if they would be capable of making my genre music sound correct because they may not be that familiar with it.
Also, I'm wondering if it would be worth the extra money to have someone mix and master it for me (although this takes quite a bit of control away from me, which makes me a little nervous). The reason I'm thinking about having some mix it too is because some of my tracks are loaded with low end, and no matter what I seem to do, it still seems to be a little muddy. Perhaps a professional could clean it up a little better than I can.
I'm not really too concerned about the total price to have all of this done because I want it to sound as professional as possible. Has anybody on here used Sweetwater for electronic music mastering before? Do you guys have any other suggestions of someone/some company that you would recommend for my genre. And finally, do you think it might be worth the extra cash to have them mix it for me too?
Sorry for the long post...
Thanks in advance for all of your suggestions. :)

Zarith
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Brek Zarith

Re: Mastering and Possibly Mixing Question

Post by Zarith » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:14 pm

I think the easiest way to find the right mastering engineer would be to check the credits of your favorite albums ;)

But I wouldn't be so concerned about the style issue. If you give him guidelines, a good mastering engineer can probably work on any genre of music. Goth/Industrial is not mastered radically differently than Rock or Metal. And you can always give him a reference track.

If you are not yet satisfied with the mix, you should definitely spend more time on it. If your mix is right, sound great by itself, then the mastering will be an easy job. It can even be a "blind" mastering, made with a plug-in like Ozone.

The mixing is really what matters most. It's at this stage that you should fix all the problems. The mastering is just the polishing, to make the track louder and wider. It can done and redone later...

But why don't you post here one of your track? Or just a fragment of it? Some of the members here could probably give good advice on how to make it reach a "professional" quality...
Last edited by Zarith on Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

You might want to ask this question over at Gearslutz too, they have a huge mastering crowd there with a lot of knowledgeable people.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:12 am

There is a guy here that does a nice job for a low price...
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:41 pm

Zarith wrote:I think the easiest way to find the right mastering engineer would be to check the credits of your favorite albums ;)
I have done this, and I thought about going this route; but I just wanted to get some other opinions.
Zarith wrote:If you are not yet satisfied with the mix, you should definitely spend more time on it. If your mix is right, sound great by itself, then the mastering will be an easy job. It can even be a "blind" mastering, made with a plug-in like Ozone.

The mixing is really what matters most. It's at this stage that you should fix all the problems. The mastering is just the polishing, to make the track louder and wider. It can done and redone later...
Overall, I am happy with my mixes. I have done the best I can possibly do. They sound good to me. I just know that there are people out there far more talented than myself who could make it sound even better.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:42 am

And of course the other problem is.... many darkwave artists master their own stuff.

memory cords

Post by memory cords » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:11 am

@krzeppa,

there is a guy on the Muffwiggler forum called Babaluma, he has a company called Hermetech Mastering. He specializes in mastering electronic music. He uses high quality analog gear and doesn't do brickwall limiting.

According to his website he will do one of your tracks for free to show you what his mastering sounds like.

http://hermetechmastering.com/

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Subliminal Sea

Post by ninja6485 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:23 pm

you could always have your tracks mastered by oliver lieb:
http://www.lhaudio.com/
you could even have it cut to vinyl 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by krzeppa » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. These definitely seem like some good places to start. I like how you can have a track mastered for free....that way you know if you like their work before you drop down tons of cash.

darkflame
Band: Babaluma

Post by darkflame » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 am

memory cords wrote:@krzeppa,

there is a guy on the Muffwiggler forum called Babaluma, he has a company called Hermetech Mastering. He specializes in mastering electronic music. He uses high quality analog gear and doesn't do brickwall limiting.

According to his website he will do one of your tracks for free to show you what his mastering sounds like.

http://hermetechmastering.com/
Thanks for recommending me memory cords, much appreciated! I do use brickwall limiting, I just don't over-do it as a lot of people seem to do these days. :lol: I'm very concerned with high sound quality, high dynamic range and transient detail.

Yes, I offer one track for free, and unlimited revisions on paid work. However, right now I have just made the mother of all moves from Yokohama, to Milan, and so all my gear is currently in transit, and I don't realistically expect to be up and mastering again until early August. It's a very unfortunate situation, but there really is nothing I can do.

All the best to everyone here,

Gregg Janman, Hermetech Mastering, Milan