Low cut or EQ attenuation?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Xores
Gear: Fantom x6; Korg ESX; Vermona mk II Radias; Jp-8000; Monotron; Virus B; Doepfer A-100
Band: ïnjectiön, Xores

Low cut or EQ attenuation?

Post by Xores » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Hello everywhere!

Im working on a Psytrance track and wanted to ask you folks if you would low cut a bassline(@100Hz) to fit with the kick or if you would use the eq.

I suppose eq would be the better way because I may cut off to much low frequencies out of the bass... but I wanted to ask anyway as there are so much people here dealing with sound... surelly you come up with some interesting advice!

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Low cut or EQ attenuation?

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Low cut is EQ. Just do whatever works best for the track.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:33 pm

Eq's tend to give me better feedback on the frequencies I'm getting to, as stabs said though. They do the same thing...

Xores
Gear: Fantom x6; Korg ESX; Vermona mk II Radias; Jp-8000; Monotron; Virus B; Doepfer A-100
Band: ïnjectiön, Xores

Post by Xores » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:10 pm

Yeah , you are right, they do the same thing but not the same way... :?

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:06 pm

i think you meant low shelf vs. low cut, right? try low cut. if you find that that your lacking bass then either adjust the lowcut, or try the low shelf. it may be that you need a combination. or none at all and your levels are just goofy. like stab said:
Stab Frenzy wrote:Just do whatever works best for the track.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:15 pm

:?

What you're describing in different terminology is the same application of EQ, just using different methods. I would suggest you read up on EQ topics that describe shelving, bandpass/lowpass/highpass filtering, and the different filter slopes, as well as understanding how the Q of a certain filter will affect slope and overall sound. People oftentimes use interchangeable terminology to describe identical methods.

In general terms, especially in the lower region you'll want to 'make room' for the bassline as well as the kickdrum, as you eluded to. There are a few different techniques people use to accomplish this. Try working the kick highpass in at 80hz or so, and d**k around with it in that region. You might think about adding a lowpass on the bassline as well to keep the two from cancelling each other out. Spectrum analyzers are your friend.

FWIW, I may be completely on crack -- so really, research - and experiment.

There is heaps of information on this topic, I would suggest reading through the voluminous amount of information on gearslutz (lots of interesting information to be had) as well as the vast amount of knowledge to be had through various books on the topic.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:44 am

Xores wrote:Yeah , you are right, they do the same thing but not the same way... :?
:?:

Read up on equalization.

Try notching the bass line at various places and see what works best. You could probably try ducking/sidechaining as well, just don't go full polkacore (unless you want to).
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:13 am

Off Topic
This is the true polka-core

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:30 am

tallowwaters wrote:go full polkacore
:lol: I'm dying to hear an exemplary sample of this. I'm not sure I could quantify exactly how stunningly brilliant this might be. Perhaps Norteno music with the drummer playing blast beats and the singer doing 'cookie monster' falsetto. I dunno. I LOL'd.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:41 pm

silikon wrote:
:lol: I'm dying to hear an exemplary sample of this. I'm not sure I could quantify exactly how stunningly brilliant this might be. Perhaps Norteno music with the drummer playing blast beats and the singer doing 'cookie monster' falsetto. I dunno. I LOL'd.
:shock:

I know I'm not the first one to call that Justice/Chromeo stuff polkacore.

But yeah, they do need some accordions.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:16 pm

silikon wrote:
:lol: You have to do it.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:35 pm

silikon wrote:
I just posted pretty much exactly that right above you.
tekkentool wrote:
Or maybe

Or maybe (not really this is more folk-rock).

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:38 pm

Try to stay on topic, this is Sound Production after all.

calaverasgrande
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: MG1, MP201, MF101, MF102, Taurus 3, SH09, KPR-77, Streichfett, Dark Energy, X0Xb0x, Dronelab, Synsonics Drums, Machinedrum, Modular.
Band: N.S.V.

Post by calaverasgrande » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:39 pm

I usually will put a high pass filter (low cut is the same thing) on every track except the kick drum.
I also usually will give the kick a very tiny boost of about 2db at 80 hz or so.
as far as bass lines that is a tough one. Sometimes the solution is to high pass filter it and compress it a bit. Sometimes a little midrange boost at a particular freq is in order.
Synth bass lines are much more difficult than bass guitar in some ways. They potentially have a higher average level and lower peak level, so they dont get much louder by compressing. At least in analog and VA examples they often dont have a lot of detail above 1khz that allows them to be heard easily.
Low cutting will remove some of the headroom robbing low tone that keeps you from turning up the bass track. From there you can tweak the patch with an LFO or subosc or something to make it seem like its lower than it is.
Or, horrors, open up that LPF a bit.
Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:14 pm

Low cutting everything that's not the kick is a little extreme. It's all genre specific. In DnB you'd be cutting the sub out of the kick to fill it with the sub bass (which I usually cut everything above 100 hz on)