Soundcards and CD ripping...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
DIGITAL SCREAMS
Band: Digital Screams

Soundcards and CD ripping...

Post by DIGITAL SCREAMS » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:04 pm

Hi all

I have a quick question...

Does the quality of soundcard used have any influence over the 'quality/fidelity' of a ripped CD track?

Put another way, if I was to rip a track from my favourite CD and save it to my Hard Drive - would I get 'better' results using a FF800 or would there be no difference? I'm thinking there would be no difference as the audio is not being converted in any way - it would basically be a bit for bit transfer wholly in the digital domain.

What are peoples thoughts on this...

Thanks guys!
Synthesizers: Roland Jupiter 8, Sequential Prophet 5, Moog Old School, Access Virus TI2, Yamaha DX7 MKII (and FM8), Roland D50, Korg Wavestation and M1

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Soundcards and CD ripping...

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:56 am

No difference, there is no audio passing through your interface so how would it make any difference?

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:30 am

digital->digital, so like stab said. .no. If you rip to a different quality or format there might be a bit of quality loss or artifacts due to conversion algorithms - I would make sure you rip to at least 320kbps mp3.. If you want to preserve everything, rip it as wav or one of the lossless formats.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:56 am

Ripping speed might theoretically affect the number of errors, but they probably wouldn't even be audible. An exception might be the starting or end times of a track being slightly shifted too early or too late. But I'm not 1000% sure of this. The EAC (exact audio copy) freeware explored a lot of this. But even now I don't use EAC; I use Foobar2000 which has built in CDparanoia. I rip straight to FLAC and haven't looked back. Everything turns out fine.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:11 pm

I'm clearly adding to a completed question and answer; but I had to volley my two pence worth...

I actually have a machine that I dedicated to do ripping of my audio collection (CD) to uncompressed .wav. It doesn't have a sound card. The bits travel from the drive itself, to the hard disc (making the process rather simplistic here) -- no interaction from the audio card whatsoever.

What will drive quality up or down is the quality of rip and the encoding software used. Exact Audio Copy does a great job, and with a little work will do accurate rips (see oodles and oodles of info on the hydrogenaudio forums). CD/DVD drives affect this to a certain degree, and the ripping software perhaps more.

I've used that in the past, but right now am in the process of re-doing the whole kit using dbPowerAmp (it's not free like EAC) because it does accurate rips like EAC, and seems to import metadata (CD/Track/album art info) quite reliably, and allows for an automated robot to do ripping.

I suggest you peruse hydrogenaudio forums here and have a read.
echo 1 > /dev/awesome