What are your recording OCD's

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

What are your recording OCD's

Post by DLovas » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:56 am

thought this would get an interesting response.... for me i have to have RED midi cables and BLUE midi cables....

the red cables are always placed in the synths IN port... i think of it as the oxygenated blood cells that leave the heart (MIDI interface) and the blue cables always are in the OUT midi port on the synths that are the NON-Oxygenated blood cells returning to the heart.

weird, no?

your turn.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: What are your recording OCD's

Post by tekkentool » Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:19 am

Working in a tracker, I HAVE to make sure that all the samples in the sample window also arrange in the order that they're used on tracks. So if I have kicks on 1,2,3 and snares on 4,5,6. They must be in that order in the sample box, just something I make sure I do for no good reason.

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:34 pm

When working in Reason (which is all the time), I like to (manually) quantize all parameter values to 10's. I know I limit my possibilities this way, but I still can't stop myself from doing it. In fact, maybe I'm subconsciously deliberately limiting myself in that manner, who knows. I also like to keep all the level faders on the main mixer at their default value (100). If something really needs to be louder or quieter I use the master volume value on the device making the sound, which again has to be quantized. Sometimes this is really a problem since I'm never happy with the mix, then I tell myself it's OK to round to 5's, lol. And I hate empty half rack spaces, so I sometimes add FX just to fill the spaces, lol. Pretty f**k OCD if you ask me. Although, when I feel really inspired I couldn't care less what the values are or any of the stuff I mentioned, I just f**k rock it. :lol:

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Post by DLovas » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:09 pm

optimus prime wrote:When working in Reason (which is all the time), I like to (manually) quantize all parameter values to 10's. I know I limit my possibilities this way, but I still can't stop myself from doing it. In fact, maybe I'm subconsciously deliberately limiting myself in that manner, who knows. I also like to keep all the level faders on the main mixer at their default value (100). If something really needs to be louder or quieter I use the master volume value on the device making the sound, which again has to be quantized. Sometimes this is really a problem since I'm never happy with the mix, then I tell myself it's OK to round to 5's, lol. And I hate empty half rack spaces, so I sometimes add FX just to fill the spaces, lol. Pretty f**k OCD if you ask me. Although, when I feel really inspired I couldn't care less what the values are or any of the stuff I mentioned, I just f**k rock it. :lol:
Your not alone bud - in logic / sounddiver I usually try round I the 0 or the 5 for parameters as well- it just feels so much tidier, so much cleaner. We probably are hindering ourselves, I don't do it as often though with cutoff frequencies if I do it at all for them.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:36 pm

* i color code my tracks to be like a repeating rainbow. weird but true.
* when editing reverb and delay decay times, i like them to be whole numbers of seconds instead of fractions.
* when editing element amplitudes, I like to work in whole decibel steps, especial multiples of 3 and 4 dB.
* when panning instruments, I almost always must have balanced panning or it drives me nuts to hear it off balance.

i guess i'm kind of a musical weirdo, but this stuff is true.

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:30 pm

I master while I mix/produce. I'm always making sure stuff sounds exactly like I want it to the second after I make it.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:37 pm

I really don't like to use program change messages as CCs in a midi track. It's a pain if I decide to go with a different patch and there is a phantom prog change message hanging around somewhere waiting to bite me. Plus, the DAW conventions are almost always different than my outboard synth conventions.

I always save every plugin effect setting as an individual file out.
The bad: It's a hassle when I edit an effect frequently. I end up saving the same file over-and-over.
The good: It has greatly expedited mastering as I can call-up previous settings quickly as a starting point.

My DAW is Cubase SX3 and it has dedicated automation lanes that stack/collapse under the main midi/audio parts. But I ALWAYS create my own separate CC track (pitch, mod wheel) for each controller underneath the midi note track anyway. My reasons:
- I'm still able to edit the CC data as bars instead of little dots connected by lines.
- And I can copy/paste CC events between different parts very quickly.
- That's the way I've been doing since earlier versions of Cubase.

Jimmy
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Ensoniq Mirage, Korg M1, Yamaha RX11, Akai MPK61, Roland SP404SX, Novation Launchpad, YSL697Z, YTR6335, Ableton Live

Post by Jimmy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:22 am

My only OCD is having a tidy workspace. If the area I am working in is not in some kind of logical order, I find it impossible to do anything until I have tidied it up

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 2:40 am

optimus prime wrote:When working in Reason (which is all the time), I like to (manually) quantize all parameter values to 10's.
I do the opposite of this, I try to avoid round numbers when I'm making electronic music. I often tap tempo in instead of setting it to an exact value and sometimes I'll randomly tweak a few parameters while things aren't playing just to add some Cageian chance to the mix. To me there's nothing more disappointing than getting stems to do a remix of something and discovering the tempo is 120 or some other number rounded to 10.

As far as OCDish things that I do the only thing I'm really fussy about is measuring distance from the overheads to the snare and making sure they're the same so the snare is phase coherent through the overheads, but that's not really OCD it's more just good technique.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:00 am

Stab, I would've thought you'd have the protractor out making sure you're monitors are in an exact equilateral triangle. :D

Jimmy
Gear: Roland Jupiter 6, Ensoniq Mirage, Korg M1, Yamaha RX11, Akai MPK61, Roland SP404SX, Novation Launchpad, YSL697Z, YTR6335, Ableton Live

Post by Jimmy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:21 am

Or maybe you should make sure that all measurements are in accordance with the golden ratio

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:36 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Stab, I would've thought you'd have the protractor out making sure you're monitors are in an exact equilateral triangle. :D
That whole equilateral triangle thing is a myth, there's a point at which the soundstage is full between the two speakers and if you spread them further it starts to get holes in the image, you've just got to use your ears cause it's different for every pair on monitors and every room. You do need to get the tweeters at ear level though.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:51 am

Jimmy wrote:My only OCD is having a tidy workspace. If the area I am working in is not in some kind of logical order, I find it impossible to do anything until I have tidied it up
This really slows me down. I have to have all gear hooked up ( like every single input and output) so that everything can be used immediately without any repatching. Problem is, it takes so long to set that up in the first place... and I have a large stack of napkins with routing diagrams and patchbay layouts, never implemented. :lol:

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:To me there's nothing more disappointing than getting stems to do a remix of something and discovering the tempo is 120 or some other number rounded to 10.
90% of my tracks are 120 BPM, hope the disappointment doesn't kill you. :lol: It's the default tempo in Reason, and I know it's kind of lame to stick with it, but I guess it's got to do with the fact that I really don't like too much freedom when it comes to music making, or creative endeavors in general. I like having certain limitations that I have to work around, like having things I can't control, so I can focus more on the things I can. Maybe true art/craft is achieved when you master all tools and techniques available, but I'm not sure that's even possible, so I do it this way.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:25 pm

optimus prime wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:To me there's nothing more disappointing than getting stems to do a remix of something and discovering the tempo is 120 or some other number rounded to 10.
90% of my tracks are 120 BPM, hope the disappointment doesn't kill you. :lol: It's the default tempo in Reason, and I know it's kind of lame to stick with it, but I guess it's got to do with the fact that I really don't like too much freedom when it comes to music making, or creative endeavors in general. I like having certain limitations that I have to work around, like having things I can't control, so I can focus more on the things I can. Maybe true art/craft is achieved when you master all tools and techniques available, but I'm not sure that's even possible, so I do it this way.

Don't worry man, you make some of the most enjoyable electronic music I've heard.

My compulsions are numerous, but I truly have OCD. From arranging to wiring to color coding to workflow obsession, I have to have total control over everything in my studio. I won't even use an instrument on a track if it isn't used on all other tracks on an album. When I render and master, I have to make sure each track peaks out at the same point, etc. This 'law of consistency' goes all the way to down to presence of people/animals in the studio, clothes I'm wearing, booze I'm drinking and so forth. I've actually gotten better over the years, but it still can be utterly crippling sometimes, like when you can't get any work finished because you reconfiguring all the keyboard stands so the ridges on the rubber end caps are all aligned in the same configuration.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.