What are your recording OCD's

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: What are your recording OCD's

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:46 pm

^^ Oh man, now I get why you're totally pissed all the time :lol:

I like the OP's one that's kinda cool, and some of these are just quirks of a practical nature.

I guess the closest I get is zeroing the knobs/sliders on my V-Synth every now and then, but I'm not religious about it, only when it starts to annoy me when changing patches - incidentally I still think for a preset based VA motorised pots would be damn cool - like they were going to do on that Vermona synth that never got made. :geek:

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:50 pm

tallowwaters wrote:Don't worry man, you make some of the most enjoyable electronic music I've heard.
Hey, ya, great stuff!
tallowwaters wrote:My compulsions are numerous, but I truly have OCD.
Seriously? That sucks :(

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:57 am

Even more annoying is the rage at getting a remix stem, and finding the vocal stem is not dry and has trails of reverb and delay that can possibly outlast humanity.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Sep 10, 2011 3:45 am

tekkentool wrote:Even more annoying is the rage at getting a remix stem, and finding the vocal stem is not dry and has trails of reverb and delay that can possibly outlast humanity.
Yeah, I feel you on that one. I got stems to do a remix of a fairly well-known Sydney artist and the vocal was autotuned to f**k. I asked for the vocal without autotune and then resent the same file. Guess she must have been having an off day.
optimus prime wrote:90% of my tracks are 120 BPM, hope the disappointment doesn't kill you. :lol: It's the default tempo in Reason, and I know it's kind of lame to stick with it
Yep. 75% of my band's early songs (written by someone else in the band) were 140bpm cause that's what Fruity Loops' default tempo was, which I think is why I'm always disappointed when somebody doesn't bother to change it. It makes me think that they didn't go into the composition with a musical idea before hand, they just sat down and said 'right, I'm going to write a song now.'

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:22 am

i set the tempo on my latest project to 106.5...or was it 107.5...not for creative reasons, but mostly due to figuring out the bpm of something i sampled and not wanting to timestretch it. i've recorded tracks that i don't know the bpm to as well from syncing everything to an analog clock with a dial and just using that for overdubs and what not. if i diddn't know which tracks were which, i probably wouldn't realize there was a difference. but that's just my own perspective on my own work that's been drilled into my brain. 8-)
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:41 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:
optimus prime wrote:90% of my tracks are 120 BPM, hope the disappointment doesn't kill you. :lol: It's the default tempo in Reason, and I know it's kind of lame to stick with it
Yep. 75% of my band's early songs (written by someone else in the band) were 140bpm cause that's what Fruity Loops' default tempo was, which I think is why I'm always disappointed when somebody doesn't bother to change it. It makes me think that they didn't go into the composition with a musical idea before hand, they just sat down and said 'right, I'm going to write a song now.'
That is pretty much my case as well, only I'm never like "I'm gonna write some kickass music right now", it's more "I'm gonna f**k around for a bit", and a lot of the times I end up at "Wow, this is actually pretty good". But you're right, whenever I put something together on guitar, or on keys, or in my head, the BPM is never some round number. OTOH, I never play guitar with "I'm gonna write some kickass music right now" in mind either, it's always just playing around. I think you can hear it when someone's been trying too hard to make some cool music, and that's all you hear - someone trying and not really succeeding. Being casual goes a long way when it comes to creativity.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:42 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:To me there's nothing more disappointing than getting stems to do a remix of something and discovering the tempo is 120 or some other number rounded to 10.
I probably shouldn't tell you that almost all of my tracks are at exactly 80 or 96 BPM then. I did it intentionally so that making music videos for them would be easier since the start of every measure would be at a whole second number boundary instead of some wierd fraction.

But actually, usually after I time my own freeform playing, it ends up really close to those two BPM's anyhow, so I don't mind so much limiting to that. After I get better at video editing I'll probably give up that limitation if I can.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:57 am

Most guitar riffs I write end out being 165 bpm. Not around 165, exactly 165. I have no idea why.

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

tekkentool wrote:Most guitar riffs I write end out being 165 bpm. Not around 165, exactly 165. I have no idea why.
Deep down you're a metalhead? :D

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:40 am

optimus prime wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Most guitar riffs I write end out being 165 bpm. Not around 165, exactly 165. I have no idea why.
what do you mean deep down? \m/

I just think 165 is my innate tempo. Whenever I make Drum n bass it's 165, I like my dubstep to be up around 165 bpm (half time). I've written plenty of piano sections and discovered I wrote them at 165. I'm just meant to run at 165 bpm.

Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Post by Pro5 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:51 am

few f**k up things I do on a far too frequent basis:

1. Point all the knobs on my polysix north so they are all centred. 10 mins later they are all over the place again after playing around

2. Swapping synths around on stands cos am not happy with how they are sitting, thinking a synth looks better/more inviting/playable on the 2nd tier at an angle. Then realising pretty much every synth looks better on a 2nd angled tier and then looking for a way to not have to use the flat first tier, maybe stick a shelf on it and store c**p on there? Either way that is some f**k up s**t and even worse is that I know that.

3. Constantly re-angling my nearfields using my fingers to check distance between edge of shelf and monitor bases.

4. Reading VSE and GEARSLUTZ when should be mixing...

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:08 am

Drum tracks have to be on the bottom in Live.
Bass just above it, unless the bass is the hook.

optimus prime

Post by optimus prime » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:33 am

tekkentool wrote:
optimus prime wrote:
what do you mean deep down? \m/

I just think 165 is my innate tempo. Whenever I make Drum n bass it's 165, I like my dubstep to be up around 165 bpm (half time). I've written plenty of piano sections and discovered I wrote them at 165. I'm just meant to run at 165 bpm.
Maybe your heart rate is 82,5?
Pro5 wrote:few f**k up things I do on a far too frequent basis:

1. Point all the knobs on my polysix north so they are all centred. 10 mins later they are all over the place again after playing around

2. Swapping synths around on stands cos am not happy with how they are sitting, thinking a synth looks better/more inviting/playable on the 2nd tier at an angle. Then realising pretty much every synth looks better on a 2nd angled tier and then looking for a way to not have to use the flat first tier, maybe stick a shelf on it and store c**p on there? Either way that is some f**k up s**t and even worse is that I know that.

3. Constantly re-angling my nearfields using my fingers to check distance between edge of shelf and monitor bases.

4. Reading VSE and GEARSLUTZ when should be mixing...
None of this stuff is f**k up, IMO...

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:53 pm

my bandmate, everything he writes is 136 bpm. and I have the revulsion to round numbers or numbers used too often; I generally try to make tunes work at the same speed as my breathing and if I accidentally make something at 120 (default on the electribes with a cleared patch) I'll either take a quick run around the block or have a smoke or do like, yoga focusing breathing stuff to raise or lower my breathing rate, then re-tempo the pattern.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:26 pm

I can't stand modern, colorful GUIs and often feel the need to minimize the sequencer programs to the taskbar when listening back to the mixes. That's pretty tough to explain to people I've worked with... I've just stated that I do it in order to "minimize latency issues", even if the real reason is that I just don't want to stare at those GUIs. I am using Linux these days at home and I've pretty much been able to make everything that I use look like it came from decades ago. Too bad I can't do that to the internet.