Recording Issues

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
factual35
Gear: Korg EA-1,Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Alesis Micron, DSI Evolver Desktop
Band: Mike Rochip

Recording Issues

Post by factual35 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 am

Ok, so I just bought a new computer. It's an HP, and is running Windows 7. I've got this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audi ... 0000000000

plugged into it. Everything works fine with it. Monitoring my music is fine, music I'm playing from the computer is fine, is in stereo etc etc. Today I installed the new version on Audacity and attempted to record something I have sequenced. For some reason it is in mono.

Allow me to explain further: Audacity is set up to record from the interface, in stereo, and my instruments are plugged into the stereo channels of my mixer. It's showing a stereo track in Audacity. Everything should be fine, right? I am getting both channels of the mix, it's just in mono when I play it back. Furthermore, I tried panning channels on my mixer. If I pan something all the way to the left, it shows up in both channels on Audacity. If I pan everything to the right, nothing is recorded into Audacity. All of my cables are plugged in correctly, so that's not the issue.

This might be a simle issue to resolve, but I've tried everything I can think of, even using an older version of Audacity that I'm 100% familier with. I have the same issue with that version.

I hope someone on here can help me with this. :x

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Re: Recording Issues

Post by cornutt » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:47 am

Moved to Sound Production, where it has a better chance of getting answered.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:03 am

Get reaper.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:22 pm

don't record in audacity/use a different DAW.

MikeRochip
Gear: DSI Evolver, Alesis Micron x2, Korg EA-1, Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Casio HT-3000, Casio WK-1630

Post by MikeRochip » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:29 pm

I've had issues logging in my with my old account, so I've created a new one. But anyways, I've downloaded Reaper and will give it a go. I can certainly afford the cost of the cheaper liscense, so this is the way I'll probably go from now on.

I know Audacity sucks, but I've never had this issue with it before. I'm convinced it has more to with the computer/interface than Audacity itself.

silikon
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Random bullshit with knobs and buttons.
Band: Year with no summer

Post by silikon » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:38 am

Have you tried removing the Audacity configuration file? You mentioned it all worked until you updated audacity (right?) so maybe the configuration file got corrupted during the upgrade. I've heard of that happening on other occasions with audacity, so maybe this might be of help...

It's in your Documents and Settings folder, \Documents and Settings\(username)\Application Data\Audacity\Audacity.cfg (if I remember correctly)

You'll have to change your file view options to allow for viewing hidden files and folders to see it, but I would suggest that as a first step before completely shitcanning Audacity... It's not at all bad, given what you paid for it...
echo 1 > /dev/awesome

MikeRochip
Gear: DSI Evolver, Alesis Micron x2, Korg EA-1, Korg ES-1, Korg Monotron, Casio HT-3000, Casio WK-1630

Post by MikeRochip » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:21 am

silikon wrote:Have you tried removing the Audacity configuration file? You mentioned it all worked until you updated audacity (right?) so maybe the configuration file got corrupted during the upgrade. I've heard of that happening on other occasions with audacity, so maybe this might be of help...
Sorry, I wasn't clear in my original post. I'm using it on a brand new computer that has never had Audacity on it.

I don't know if I'll have the same issues with Reaper, which I have but haven't had the time to try using. I'll have to see how that goes in the next couple days.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:15 am

What version of Audacity are you using? The latest 1.2.6 doesn't support Windows 7, you need the beta 1.3. Also seeing as that's a beta release you can't expect it to all work 100%.

The long and the short of it is that Audacity isn't supported for Windows 7, and everyone should read the system requirements for all the programs they rely on before they consider upgrading/changing their OS.

MikeRochip

Post by MikeRochip » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:52 pm

I was using the Beta 1.3 version of Audacity.

It turns out I had to dig further into the audio settings of the computer and set-up the recording input to be in stereo.

Should have been obvious, but I never had to do that with the other two computers I've had this interface plugged into.

EDIT: I'm having another issue. I'm getting some kind of wierd digital aliasing/distortion going on when say, only a bassline and kick are being recorded. It's not that noticeable when more things are in the mix. I'm having this issue in both Reaper and in Audacity. I've set the sample rate(in Control Panel)to CD-quality, so there's no obvious reason why this is occuring. Any help here would be appreciated. I would say that the interface is getting old(it is a Behringer product, after all) but I didn't have this issue with my old computer. It seems like an odd coincidence that the interface would start malfunctioning the same day I hook it into a new computer.