i know you hate behringer...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
jeeb_sound
Gear: Roland: VK-1, RS-5, Korg: Poly-61, Poly 800, DW-8000, Preset 500, Yamaha DX-27, Kawai K5
Band: Lost Tribe (Richmond, VA)

Re: i know you hate behringer...

Post by jeeb_sound » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 am

space6oy wrote:but some of their pedals actually sound really nice. just picked up the CC300 and CD400 choruses and the VD400 delay, delay's very limited in speeds but aside from that i'd say they're not bad at all.

hope this isn't hypocritical of me or anything. just thought i'd share...
:geek:
cryabetes wrote:oh sure, but even noise floor goes out the window with their delays. their 1100ms "double analog delay" (read: PT329x chip) just sounds thin, staticy, and mine rarely got above 200ms (i think I had good luck putting it in the freezer beforehard, but at room temp it shortened.)
the vd-400 delays were actually kind of interesting as they were made from a batch of one off cool cat designed 3205 chips made in a random chinese factory. sadly a friend of mine totally just squashed in one of the on-the circuit board pots so it but still was able to harvest the 3205 out of it for a headroom experiment I tried with the remaining pedal i had which sounded marginally better, ended up using the chip to replace a dead one in a more recent ad-9 re-issue. definetly beats a carbon copy on shorter delays, falls short of 90s-00s ad-9 reissues but competes with the newer ones made in daphon's plant that sort of sound chracterless and colder than before.

cryabetes wrote:Also back on topic, their mixers can be really nice or really quite s**t- They're coming into their own in this dept.

both of the 1002B's I have are positively stellar (and have the same profile as a keyboard when you fasten them together, which has appeal), and apparently this is one of their first designs that doesn't come from mackie mixers.

although the 502s, 802s, 1204s and 1222's i've used are awful (bad s/n ratio, power supplies prone to overheating/melty death, shite on-board effects in the case of the 1222). apparently the 2442 is nice though.
I had a 2222-fx that used in a punk venue type thing for about 3 years before all its metered were silenced by a full beer spill and subsequent board cracking due to fall. Still have the thing sitting in my front hallway because i cant bear to throw it out.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:53 pm

cryabetes wrote:[Biyang's] 1100ms "double analog delay" (read: PT329x chip) just sounds thin, staticy, and mine rarely got above 200ms (i think I had good luck putting it in the freezer beforehard, but at room temp it shortened.)
I've had the opposite experience, so you may have had a bad one. I found Biyang's flanger to be OK but bland, the tube OD to be decent sounding but let down by build quality, and the chorus to be pretty good. The AD-7 is the only one I kept, I've had it for a few years and it's always been fine. I like the way the repeats grit up with very different toneality to a BBD device, and on mine the delay goes go the full time - so it tends to get used. I think the various PT2399 devices are pretty useful, and it's mostly a matter of preference between them and a BBD unit for me, at shorter times anyway.

My main problem with Biyang is the faff of getting inside their pedals. Too many screws of not high enough quality, and slightly badly-fitting cases.

As for Behringer, I had a VM-1 for a while - it wasn't bad exactly, but I hated the cheap wobbly pots and horrible blinding blue light. Always wondered how close it sounded to a Memory Man, which is something I'd like to try but don't know if I want to spend 200 quid doing so

I think generally, from my own experience, Behringer's pedals sound fine, but the build of almost everything from them I've ever had my hands on has been crud, for one reason or another. I'd only recommend them to the very cash-strapped or those wanting to try a knock-off of a more expensive version (eg, DC-2 v CC300).

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:29 pm

nathanscribe wrote: My main problem with Biyang is the faff of getting inside their pedals. Too many screws of not high enough quality, and slightly badly-fitting cases.
Really? Didn't have trouble when I added an expression pedal to my tremolo. did you order yours from china or from earth city sound co?

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Neither - eBay. I found the hex-heads a bit soft, and managed to smooth a couple out, and the holes in the two parts of the cases were not very well aligned. Cheap, that's all.

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:05 pm

krushing wrote:I'm a bit pissed I didn't pick up one of those Vintage Time Machines before EHX realized it's a bit too good a clone.
I'm pretty sure these weren't available some time ago, but now it seems they're back.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:48 am

I don't hate Behringer. I've got two FBQ800's. One for my headphones, and one for my speakers. People say you shouldn't try to EQ your room, but I had a really obnoxious resonance in my room around 156 Hz and I was able to successfully tweek my setup to sound a lot more natural. And my headphones don't have enough bass to them, so I EQ them too. I know this is also a no-no, but it seems to work. Those FBQ's don't even have any static or hiss to them. It's amazing. I thought all hardware had hiss since that's what I grew up with, but these are clean. I think technology keeps improving and it trickles down even to the low-cost gear.
Last edited by astroidmist on Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

visceralvoids
Gear: Access Virus TI - Roland JD990 - Sequential Drumtraks - Novation 61SLmkII

Post by visceralvoids » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:09 am

astroidmist wrote:technology keeps improving and it trickles down even to the low-cost gear.
That's the way I feel about my Xenyx 1202FX although I've been told Behringer gear puts out extra noise when cranked

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Had a MX1804A mixer for years: never again. Removing it from the signal path gave me beautfilly crisp recordings; like someone removing wax from your ears. That said, I use their Composer Pro XL compressor, and an Ultrapatch Pro for cables. No problems or complaints with either.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:40 pm

I used to love the Feedback Destroyer.

For years I was always in bands where the PA was c**p, mismatched microphones, mismatched monitors, no narrow band EQ, no sound man, etc. so monitor feedback was always an issue. With the F.D. I rang out the wedges in about a minute and we were good for the night.

Once I started working with better PAs that didn't have as many crazy peaks and valleys my feedback hassles disappeared and the F.D. went into the closet. Now it's only worth about 1/4 of what I paid for it :oops:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

polar69
Gear: An1x CS1x Rm1x MPD24 Stylophone Zoom gfx100 Reason Reaper

Post by polar69 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 pm

I used to have a behringer mixer, never any problems with that, and when I needed a cheap DI box I got one of the V-TONE GUITAR GDI21 boxes

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:27 pm

behringer is an interesting company... the reason they succeed is because they DO get some things right, at ridiculous pricepoints...

the BCR2000 (and possibly BCF) are one of the greatest midi controllers I've ever owned..

the behringer truth monitors are excellent.

I'm pretty happy with my delay pedal too.. I think its the DD600? or was it EM600? Before I owned it I owned a boss dd-7 and the behringer sounds just as good, but has modulation controls as well.

I think what you will find is that there are 2 types of behringer product:

1) The ones that sound c**p

2) the ones that sound pretty damn good for the price, but that have low quality assurance (ie high return rate for manufacturing faults/etc..

So if you can figure out which fits in category #2, and then get one that doesnt have any faults (still not a high probbaility, just high'er' than a mid-range corporation's product)

optimus prime
Gear: Alesis MMT8, Casio CZ-101, Korg ER-1 mkII, Korg Poly-800, Roland D-20, Roland TR-626, Yamaha DX-100, Yamaha SU-10

Post by optimus prime » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:38 pm

cartesia wrote:EM600
Wow, this looks awesome! None of the stores hold EHX stuff here, this might be a nice alternative to the Memory Boy (which I'd love to get), and the price is good. Thought what I'm really looking for is one of those 80s Boss (half or whole) rack delays with modulation controls, they seem like great machines, but I can't find one here.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:45 pm

optimus prime wrote:
cartesia wrote:EM600
Wow, this looks awesome! None of the stores hold EHX stuff here, this might be a nice alternative to the Memory Boy (which I'd love to get), and the price is good. Thought what I'm really looking for is one of those 80s Boss (half or whole) rack delays with modulation controls, they seem like great machines, but I can't find one here.
The Digitech RDS series are great '80s/'90s rack digital delays with good modulation options, that go for dirt cheap, if you can find them where you are.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:47 am

cartesia wrote:behringer is an interesting company... the reason they succeed is because they DO get some things right, at ridiculous pricepoints...

the BCR2000 (and possibly BCF) are one of the greatest midi controllers I've ever owned..
The BCF compared to a 002, MCU, Euphonix etc is unacceptably terrible. I know it's a fraction of the price but comparing it to the things that it's trying to emulate is like comparing a Mercedes Benz to a ride on lawn mower. The BCR is a little better as it doesn't need to do the same kludge to get automation writing to work but they're still plagued by the terrible build quality.
cartesia wrote:the behringer truth monitors are excellent.
My bandmate owns a pair of these, we bought them for the band when we used to rehearse in a garage. Comparing them to my Yamaha MSP5As or even Alesis M1 mkIIs the Behringers have no depth at all, you can't sense any depth in your mix so it makes it really hard to place things spatially. Good on them for putting out something so that people starting out can monitor on something flatter than their stereo speakers, but I wouldn't call them excellent by any means.
cartesia wrote:I'm pretty happy with my delay pedal too.. I think its the DD600? or was it EM600? Before I owned it I owned a boss dd-7 and the behringer sounds just as good, but has modulation controls as well.
I have a DD100 and DD400, both of which my bandmate has permanently borrowed. They're great for some stuff. Especially the DD100 which operates at 22kHz, makes things nice and dark, which I like in a delay. Pretty much every delay is useful for something though, they just have different flavours which is why I like to have a lot of different ones. I'd like to play with the EM600, I reckon that would have its uses for sure.

The one Behringer thing I have that is really good is the Powerplay Pro-XL headphone amp. It's not in the signal path so it doesn't matter that it's not super clean but it does a good job of making signals loud in headphones. The aux ins work well, the controls are easy to use and it's got the controls that you need and none that you don't. When I was in the market for a headphone amp it was about 1/3 the price of anything else so it was a no brainer.

astroidmist

Post by astroidmist » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:35 am

Well, I may have replied to this thread already but I can't remember for sure.

But I have two Behringer FBQ800's, those little stereo EQ's. Each one was about 50 bucks. What I have to say about them now that some time has passed:

PROs
The sound is crystal clear and they are so simple to use.

CONs
The left channel's amplitude cuts out and mutes if the unit overheats, which can happen rather easily. The unit is not well ventillated and is prone to overheating. I had to put a fan on my units in the summertime and move them away from the heater in the wintertime. My other gear (computer included) don't overheat no matter where they are or what time of year it is.

I did register the products with Behringer so I could do a warranty return if I need but that's a major buzzkill. I use these little EQ's every day, so I'd rather not ship them back for repair or replacement. As long as I keep them in a cool spot they work OK.

But next time I'll probably buy a dBx brand EQ instead. It's twice the price, but probably a lot more tough.