Chorus for synths

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Chorus for synths

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:07 pm

What's the best chorus pedal for synths? Mono is ok. I'd rather stay away from vintage stuff because it's prohibitively expensive.

Thanks!

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Chorus for synths

Post by garranimal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:49 pm

If you stay with good brand names you probably can't go wrong. Although vintage, a MIJ Boss CE-3 is an analog chorus, can be had very affordable, and shares much DNA with the coveted CE-1 and the smaller CE-2. To me the CE-3 has similar sound to the Juno-106 chorus section. You can get semi-transparent stereo widening, or kick-up the amount and rate settings to get those creamy tremolo sounds.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Thank you. Should I stay with analog chorusing or use a multi-effect pedal like the Eventide ModFactor? This is for my newly acquired Yamaha CS50, btw, so I'm thinking I should stay in the analog realm.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:33 pm

I use a deltalabs stereo chorus for a generic chorus sound and a Boss PS-3 for a detuned chorus sound. The chorus on the Boss PS-6 is quite nice as well. I've also gotten really nice chorus sounds out of the Digitech RDS racks.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:42 pm

While the modfactor is a great audio quality, studio unit that goes for around $399usd to me is a boutique price, I myself might opt to have an old Boss Dimension-C (which is the Dimension-D in a foot-pedal package) and sounds absolutely superb on synths. As does the old CE-1, but Red Witch I hear make a decent chorus called Medusa (but at around $350usd). Now I've got a bashed-up CE-1 that still works, its noisy and makes a crackle sound when I mess with the controls but it delivers such a wonderful old chorus sound. Of the effects currently in production the ModFactor appears to be quite deep, offering rich controls for a wide variety of effects. The Eventide effects always seem to lend themselves tremendously to the creative processes of making music.

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:09 am

I'll probably pick up a ModFactor eventually. I have the Space and the TimeFactor and love both but I don't have $399 lying around right now. Today I went ahead and bought one of these after reading really good reviews about them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97.c0.m619

I figure for $58, if it sucks I can sell it for $40 and not be out much.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:27 am

If that doesn't work out, and you don't mind DIY, here's a nice, affordable CE-2 clone: http://www.buildyourownclone.com/chorus.html

Build Your Own Clone have really good kits too, with thorough instructions. I put together my first one (Phase 90 clone) a few years ago, with no prior soldering/electronics experience, and it worked right off the bat.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:13 am

I'd seen the buildyourownclones before and thought they would be a fun project. The Biyang chorus should sound sweet having the MN3007 chip and quality parts inside for a really good price. Be sure to post some demos with the CS50.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:36 am

Throw a chorus on there to immediately destroy vintage analog tone!
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

b3groover

Post by b3groover » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:54 am

garranimal wrote:I'd seen the buildyourownclones before and thought they would be a fun project. The Biyang chorus should sound sweet having the MN3007 chip and quality parts inside for a really good price. Be sure to post some demos with the CS50.
I will when I get the CS50 working. :)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:41 pm

Bi-chorus are the way chorus was meant to sound.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:03 pm

b3groover wrote:I'll probably pick up a ModFactor eventually. I have the Space and the TimeFactor
you can't make a chorus on the timefactor? just set the delay under 100ms on something with modulation.

garranimal
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by garranimal » Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:38 am

tallowwaters wrote:Bi-chorus are the way chorus was meant to sound.
Aw mang, don't pique my interest like that. That metal case is mint, too.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:48 am

They really are much more interesting when you can detune/phase them against each other. Rocktron makes one that sounds like the old Ibanez beasts.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:38 am

There's chorus and there's chorus.

There are mono in, mono out; mono in, stereo out; dual mono in, dual mono out; and stereo in, stereo out. Consider which you'd like. Also there are different methods of obtaining 'stereo' - somtimes it's simply a phase-inverted chorussed signal mixed with the dry on one channel, and a non-onverted chorus mixed with dry on the other. Other times there are two separate delay lines fed with opposite polarity modulation to give two independent outputs. The effect is quite different. Check out the details before buying ifyou're interested in that. For info, the Juno chorus is two delay lines. There are also differences in the length of delay line used and the speed it's ruin at, which affects fidelity and tone. You will either care or not. Very common is the MN3007 (or 3207, its lower-voltage equivalent), IIRC The typical Roland synth chorus was a 3004 or 3009, which are shorter.

Don't be put off vintage, there are loads of 'em and they aren't all silly prices. The Boss CE-300 rack is cheap, good and flexible. It's mono in, stereo out. You can kill the dry for extra swirl.

The CE-3 sounds little like the CE-2 IMO, I think the CE-3 has a metallic sheen going on, the CE-2 is smoother.

THe Biyang sounds very much like the EHX Small Clone, both of which have less bottom end than the Boss CE-2.

The EHX Stereo Electric mistress is digital, but quite interesting, and is also a flanger.

THere are some very nice sounding cheap old digital units, such as the Digitech RDS racks. PLentiful, cheap and useful.

I've recently become interested in old DOD pedals - some good ones, and they're cheaper than the Boss equivalents.