advice on a mixer

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
zardoz677

advice on a mixer

Post by zardoz677 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:49 am

I am wanting to get into using hardware (buying a hardware synth for bass). So far I have been using only software but I want to get into other techniques like running synths into tube amps (software, and hardware) and recording them to warm up the sound, and also recording stuff from my computer into my 4 track to saturate the sound and then back into the computer. So, Im guessing a good mixer is going to be needed. I have been looking at the Allen and heath ZED 10 FX. I was hoping for some advice on whether or not you all think that this is a good choice or not. Or perhaps there is a better option?

Thanks

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: advice on a mixer

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:35 am

What do you want it for? Just recording or live performance too? What interface are you using with your computer? How much can you spend? Do you want to hang effects off the aux busses and dub mix things? If so how many busses do you need?

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:01 pm

I'd pick up the behringer 1002b and go from there; it's got the three different flavors of effects loops (insert, pre- and post-), stereo, decent eqs, and faders for each channel and it'll give you more of a sense of what precisely you want in a mixer without destroying your budget.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:14 pm

cryabetes wrote:I'd pick up the behringer 1002b and go from there; it's got the three different flavors of effects loops (insert, pre- and post-), stereo, decent eqs, and faders for each channel and it'll give you more of a sense of what precisely you want in a mixer without destroying your budget.
Problem with that is that behringer mixers sound like arse and break really quickly. (Cue hordes of posts from people who've never used anything better saying they think it's great)

The A&H is usable at least.

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:53 pm

honestly, mine sound fine. I've gone through a few mixers, mackies, behringers, peaveys, and the 1002b's are the ones i've got left at the end of it all. the 1002b isn't based off a mackie model. the 1204 and 1222fx and 502 and 802s i've owned and used were terrible, both in sound and build quality, yeah. but the 1002b's i've got haven't broken (with playing out, etc) and I don't really treat them that well.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:02 pm

A&H makes a decent product. Have you considered a Zed 14?
bonne chance

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:What do you want it for? Just recording or live performance too? What interface are you using with your computer? How much can you spend? Do you want to hang effects off the aux busses and dub mix things? If so how many busses do you need?
I probably do not want it for live performance. As I stated it is mainly for recording hardware, recording sample with a mic and doing some tricky routing (ableton to 4 track and then recorded back) (playing things through a guitar amp and then recording them)

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:50 pm

You can't go wrong with an American made Mackie. The 1202 is built like a tank, clean and very versatile.

I bought a small Behringer several years ago since it was on sale at GC super cheap and it was very noisey. I ended up giving it to a friend of mine to use as his band's rehersal PA mixer.

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:47 am

zardoz677 wrote:
Stab Frenzy wrote:What do you want it for? Just recording or live performance too? What interface are you using with your computer? How much can you spend? Do you want to hang effects off the aux busses and dub mix things? If so how many busses do you need?
I probably do not want it for live performance. As I stated it is mainly for recording hardware, recording sample with a mic and doing some tricky routing (ableton to 4 track and then recorded back) (playing things through a guitar amp and then recording them)
You don't need a mixer then, a decent multichannel sound will do all that you need and will probably sound a lot cleaner too. What's your budget and what computer/software are you using? You probably want to look at interfaces from presonus, focusrite and motu.

adekoyote
Gear: YAMAHA PSR460, ROLAND MC808, EDIROL, APC20, Emu Proteus 2500 and Yamaha RS7000, Yamaha Su700, Roland VP9000, Yamaha AW4416, Desktop Evolver
Band: The Ghostz of More

Post by adekoyote » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:53 pm

I am currently checking out the ZOOM R24. as and audio interface, multi-track recorder and an I/O device. I am feeling the USB capability and the 32 gig flash card memory.

For a starter and mobile mixer/recorder/audio interface this seems to be a great option.

The problem with hardware is that we naturally need more inputs channels. As an ableton user, I can have input channels the have audio effects like compressors, modulators, etc.

another good feature is that you can expand it by adding another zoom device and daisy chaining them.

Truth is I want a roland vs2480...but the cost is prohibitive due to credit debt. :(

the zoom is the best deal I could find on multitrack i/o recording.

zardoz677

Post by zardoz677 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:33 am

I just bought a ZED 10 FX. I am liking it allot so far and it really sounds better than my old tascam usb interface but Im still trying to figure some stuff out... With the effects there is both an Fx to AUX and an FX knob and then on each channel there is the FX ad AUX knob and I cant understand why there is both. To me I always thought (from using reason) that you would have your aux effects and thats it, so I dont get why there is the FX knob also.?? :|

snod_donkey
Gear: Moog Minimoog - SCI Pro-One - Roland Sh-101 - Yamaha XS6 - Oberheim OB-Xa - Roland TD8 - Evans super Echo Tape Loop - Memeory Man Deluxe

Post by snod_donkey » Sat Nov 12, 2011 10:51 am

I use lots of valve preamps with my synths to do exactly what you want. You could go without the mixer if you wanted and go straight into the soundcard from the preamp

If you did use a mixer it gives more options as you can stick it on an aux send. I would stay away from anything BEHRINGER as the sound and quality is low end. If your on a budget something simple like the Yamaha MG series will do you fine, good sound and will last years

I use the Onyx 1640i as it has a firewire soundcard built in. Much more expensive but does the do for me

Stab Frenzy

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:36 am

zardoz677 wrote:I just bought a ZED 10 FX. I am liking it allot so far and it really sounds better than my old tascam usb interface but Im still trying to figure some stuff out... With the effects there is both an Fx to AUX and an FX knob and then on each channel there is the FX ad AUX knob and I cant understand why there is both. To me I always thought (from using reason) that you would have your aux effects and thats it, so I dont get why there is the FX knob also.?? :|
With any luck you can take it back and get a refund, it's only got 2 in/2 out from your computer so it's not capable of running things out of Live and through effects while still monitoring what's going on in Live.

Like I said before for what you said you want to do with this you want a multichannel interface not a mixer. The FX and Aux sends on the ZED 10 FX are exactly what they say they're for, the Aux send is the aux send out of the desk and the FX send is the desk's internal FX send.