Need some sort of talk filter

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Horace
Gear: Juno 6, MG-1, 707, ES-1, KP3, x0xb0x, 2 turntables, a microphone

Need some sort of talk filter

Post by Horace » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:13 pm

I was able to [basically] achieve a similar sound in the video intro with an sh101 and the KP3's talk filter [mod 4 setting]. I would like some more control over the filter sound, but am unsure what effects units or pedals to be looking at, or if "talk filter" is even the right term to describe this sound.

Not trying to make this a Daft Punk thread, I'm just curious about talk filters. Any ideas? Thanks

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Need some sort of talk filter

Post by tekkentool » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:57 pm

That sound is not achieved through a talk filter but by cranking the resonance on the synthesizer and bitcrushing it. Keep the bit rate at 16-24 bit then slam the bit rate down to like 3-4 Khz and it will get that "Ay ay ay ay" sound you are after.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:44 am

tekkentool wrote:Keep the bit rate at 16-24 bit then slam the bit rate down to like 3-4 Khz and it will get that "Ay ay ay ay" sound you are after.
Sounds like you're mixing terminology from bitcrushers and sample rate reducers (aka decimators). They can be similar sounding effects, but not every effects unit that does one does the other, or even if it does you still might not be able to access both effects from a single patch.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

Horace
Gear: Juno 6, MG-1, 707, ES-1, KP3, x0xb0x, 2 turntables, a microphone

Post by Horace » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:25 pm

So I'm treating sample rate as if it were in an ADSR format?

Any recommendations on units or VSTs?
I found some simple ones on this site I'm going to try with cubase
http://freemusicsoftware.org/category/f ... it-crusher

The Geometry of Love
Gear: Nothing interesting: Logic Express 9, Korg Polysix-AU, Togu Audio Line plugins.
Band: See username.

Post by The Geometry of Love » Sat Dec 17, 2011 8:42 pm

I wouldn't call it treating the sample rate like an ADSR, because the rate reduction doesn't modulate -- it stays the same. During the phase when I wanted this sound, I found that downsampling 10-20x worked well, with a little touch of bit reduction for grit. The real trick lies in setting the synth itself. I liked the TAL-Bassline a lot for this. Something about the resonance made it right for it. Since that's a fake SH-101, you might just be in like Flint with what you have.

I found the trick to controlling the sound, once you have it dialed in, was to adjust the filter envelope and the pulse width of the oscillators. The sweet spot for this sound is narrow, but small changes within the ranges where it makes that very "vowel-esque" sound created big differences in the tone.
“Of course I do my own stunts. And I also do my own lying” — Roger Moore
http://soundcloud.com/tgolmusic