Pros / Cons of Effects Processors

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: Pros / Cons of Effects Processors

Post by pflosi » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:19 pm

Regarding onboard effects vs. 'post-production', I think there is actually a difference that matters. The 'problem' is with serial / parallel signal chains. For example, most of the time I want my reverbs in a send / return loop; if you have loads of reverb on the onboard effects of a synth and record it like that, it's probably not a good idea to use heavy compression afterwards on that track. Better to record it dry, then compress and then finally use reverb. Similar scenarios are imaginable with almost any instrument / effect. Of course, the result this might give can also be desirable, so ultimately one should know and think about these things I guess. Running a lot of parallel chains to begin with is of course great fun as well. And experimentation is always good, obviously :)

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:56 am

I'm completely ITB and happy with software reverbs/delays and most effects. As far as reverbs go I've always thought the stock FL reverb was not too hot, look out for some great impulse responses of lexicon or bricasti reverbs, they sound awesome.

Compressor wise there are definitely advantages to hardware units but it is not currently worth it for me.

The main thing I want some hardware effects for is some pretty irreplaceable sounds. Specifically for me the sound of small stone phaser. Or a tape delay/reverb.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:01 pm

mm, agreed spring reverb also is another one of those things software just can't do 100% authentically right now. :)

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:24 am

You can, however, simulate tape delay with AcidPro's stock plugins of compression, graphic distortion, a multihead delay, graphic vibrato, several amplitude modulation/tremolo units, a white noise sample and about four instances of the track you want to use with tape delay.

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:19 pm

pflosi wrote: And experimentation is always good, obviously :)
This is the best summary of effects usage I've seen. Experiment as much as possible. Aux. sends are great for this. You can try something out, and if it sounds like s**t, your basic take is still intact.