Plate reverbs...?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Plate reverbs...?

Post by pflosi » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:59 pm

Hey guys,

Any of you use / have used a plate reverb? Just found an ad for a Stocktronics RX4000A, right around the corner of my flat. He's asking 500.- CHF (about 550.- $), which shouldn't be a bad price I guess? It's kinda hard to find info on these on the net. Wouldn't have a separate room for it, but it shouldn't be much of a problem to use it with headphones only I suppose?

Well anyways, any thoughts on plate reverbs, and particularly this model, are appreciated.

Cheers

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Plate reverbs...?

Post by madtheory » Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:51 pm

Seems like a rare unit. Only 250 sold. Plates sound lush. Nothing like real life spaces, but lovely. And it's one sound that an impulse can capture with 100% accuracy. Or at least, a friend of mine who used to use plates now use Altiverb instead. And he's done some wonderful records. I've never used a plate on a mix, only heard the mixes.

Projectile

Post by Projectile » Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:42 am

madtheory wrote: And it's one sound that an impulse can capture with 100% accuracy.
Absolute nonsense. It does a decently good job, but it's far from a 100% accurate reproduction.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:28 am

Thanks for the answers guys! This really wasn't meant as a sw vs. hw reverbs thread, sure Altiverb etc. are awesome for what they do (and I use reverbs ITB all the time), but I wanted to get some thoughts on the real thing (for what it is, not compared to sw).

The ad was taken down the next day though, tried to contact the seller but he didn't reply :-s we'll see whether he posts it again.

Anyways, any further thoughts are still appreciated.

Cheers!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:48 am

Projectile wrote:
madtheory wrote: And it's one sound that an impulse can capture with 100% accuracy.
Absolute nonsense. It does a decently good job, but it's far from a 100% accurate reproduction.
What records have you made?

Cruel Hoax
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Moog Voyager, Roland V-Synth, Roland MC-909, Parker Nitefly, Master Room & Fostex Springverbs, Lexicon Vortex, Travel guitar, Acoustic guitar.
Band: Giorgio Moroder's Moustache

Post by Cruel Hoax » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:22 am

Plates are awesome. One of my very first jobs at my very first studio was building a vibration-free mount for the EMT plate reverb (a big-a*s box as tall as a short lady and an arm-span and a half wide and weighing a couple hundred pounds)

You may be tempted to think that a convolution-based approach can capture a plate 'verb, but the truth is that a true plate offers additional awesome possibilities. For example, I laid a spare piece of rack rail against the reverb's wooden structure, and hit it with a shovel to accent the musical climaxes in one song.. Also sang into the damn thing during silent parts because subliminal stuff is fun! (and normalize-able later should I want to feed it into a synced tremolo delay, but I digress...) Also, you can create an Aux Send in your preferred environment and send it to a handheld speaker box to get "ghost" stuff happening in your plate.

-Hoax
"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am

That sure sounds like fun, thanks for the insights! Will keep my eyes open for the ad :)

Cheers!

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:38 am

I <3 my plate impulses. I'd love to have a big plate reverb unit but it would be absolutely unnecessary for me.

Good luck with it if you can get one though!