1 good compressor: EL8 Distressor... or?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

1 good compressor: EL8 Distressor... or?

Post by blavatsky » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:02 pm

I don't have much outboard gear, but I think having one good hardware compressor can really help.
Right now i have an Art Pro VLA II and its ok but doesn't really strike me as much better sounding than some free VST compressors I have....

So i'm looking at an EL8 Distressor (british mod , ie Nuke mode) , gets a lot of good praise on music sites/gearslutz but its pretty expensive for me, around 1300 or so - wondering if ppl here use and like them, or there are other good options in that range (say, $700 - 1500).

This would be used on a mix of stuff; bass/vocals/snare/overheads/synth/sampled stuff so I'd like something versatile, but that has some character.

EDIT:
Here are some others i'm looking at - I realize these are a little cheaper but also thinking about getting 2 since I have lots of sources i'd to to process:
FMR PBC-6A
FMR RNC
Overstayer
DBX 160A
Aphex 661

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Re: 1 good compressor: EL8 Distressor... or?

Post by dustinh » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:16 pm

I can't say enough good things about the distressor. Sadly I don't own one (someday), but I used them quite a bit in college. I really only plan on owning one good hardware compressor as well, and for me, if you can only own one, it would definitely be the distressor. It also depends on what styles of music and what type of compression you're going for, but I would say the distressor is a great compressor for most things.

I've also heard good things about the RNC especially for the price, but I have never used one.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX

Post by blavatsky » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:39 pm

thanks, yeah the distressor sounds great, i'm almost leaning towards a couple RNC compressors so I could have more compressed channels before it hits a DAW....any other opinions?

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:31 am

I would also suggest the dbx 160A as a great compressor, but you've already considered that one. Maybe get an RNC and a DBX. Two good compressors with different sounds for under $1000 for the two. Only about 700-800 for the pair. Of course, if you want to do stereo compression, you might just go with 2 RNCs for obvious reasons.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:56 am

I have an RNC and an RNLA, they are really nice to have around (I use them for live work rather than in the studio) but they don't make me want a Distressor any less. I like the 160A (the 160XT is even nicer) as well, haven't used any of the other ones on your list.

For adding character there are a lot of options available, pretty much everything has a sweet spot that does something nice. I'd be going with the RNLA over the RNC for that kind of thing if I were you.

dustinh

Post by dustinh » Thu Mar 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I was actually wondering about the rnla myself. Now I'll really have to consider one at some point.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by blavatsky » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:15 pm

Ok, so leaning towards the FMR stuff and maybe a DBX as well.

Now, stupid slightly off topic question: Can I plug a mic (dynamic or riboon) directly into the compressor, then from there into my USB interface input? I'm trying to figure out if you have to preamp/drive the mic before you hit the compressor (then out to interface) but seeing conflicting ideas....

cryabetes
Gear: Electribe Army: EA-1mkII, ER-1mkII, EM-1, ESX-1
Band: Cody P & Sammy B

Post by cryabetes » Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:21 am

unless the compressor has an input gain control, it'd be advisable to use a pre of some kind to at least control the level of what you're feeding it. You may be able to do it without one, but with fewer settings being useful.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:58 am

cryabetes wrote:unless the compressor has an input gain control, it'd be advisable to use a pre of some kind to at least control the level of what you're feeding it. You may be able to do it without one, but with fewer settings being useful.
This is incorrect. Compressors operate at line level so you to run a mic into one you need a mic preamp before it in the chain.