Samples, Reverb, Software - oh my (help please)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Samples, Reverb, Software - oh my (help please)

Post by rharris07 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:36 pm

I don't use software for much of anything except to record the final product, but I'm starting to reconsider all the hardware effect units and possibly give those up in favor of using software.

Below are videos of Holy Other - his use of reverb on vocal samples is just absolutely awesome to me, and I'm wondering...can anyone give me some ideas on possibly what is being used? A software sampler that could work, a plugin reverb?

I'm currently using garageband, but I know I need to upgrade from it to something with a h**l of a lot more power and control over the music...any suggestions? I've been told Logic is an obvious choice since I'm so use to garageband...but what does ableton offer thats so special over logic? I want to record 3 to 5 tracks at a time, all synths and drum machines, possibly a few mics and a guitar, and most importantly I want to have a sampler and a sequencer. I don't want to have a ton of options and plugins and special features, and be overwhelmed by options. I've sold off a few of my synths, and by scaling down I've become much more productive musically...I'd like to stay that way, just produce the music much more intelligently.

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Samples, Reverb, Software - oh my (help please)

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:40 pm

From how you described your needs, Ableton Live has no real advantages over Logic.

Especially in price, the "suite" version of LIve with all the plugins is $799 and Logic is only $199 :shock:

Live is more of a chameleon than Logic: it's a live performance tool, it's an audio multitracker, it's the software equivalent of jamming on an MPC, and more. It lacks a really deep MIDI sequencer (no sys-ex support, no event list) but happily slaves to external MIDI hardware.

Logic includes the EXS-24 sampler and Space Designer reverb, google those names for more info.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:43 pm

To me it sounds like he's layering reverb sends, there's more than one reverb/effect sound going on at once with the decay off of those vocals. One is very long and dull, the other instantaneous and brash etc.

Software wise the reverbs I use are Ambience (A free VST just perfect for these kinds of bizarre modulations and reverb usage, also has a "freeze" function which is very handy.)

http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

For more normal reverb usage I use Reflecktor with impulses from the bricasti m7 hardware unit gotten for free off samplicity.

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/

These f**k rule, if you don't have a convolution reverb I think Freeverb 3 supports impulses.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:49 pm

meatballfulton wrote:Logic includes the EXS-24 sampler and Space Designer reverb, google those names for more info.
Yes, sounds like you need Logic. The EXS24 sampler is still quite powerful, and it's straightforward to use. Space Designer could be all you need in reverb. There is a facility to sample other reverbs and certain kinds of effects. So don't sell your hardware reverbs until you've sampled your favourite settings. Be aware that Logic is very powerful, but it can be overwhelming at first, it's not the most intuitive of DAWs. Pay someone to give you a few tutorials to get you started, I think that's the best way.

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:58 am

dli'ing ambience right now, don't think i have any of magnus' offerings. logic and live are the two daws i've used the past few years, logic for sure my go-to. space designer is great. check out valhalla room(and shimmer, and ubermod, and...) for $50, for some other quality stuff.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:16 am

meatballfulton wrote:From how you described your needs, Ableton Live has no real advantages over Logic.
Versatility, ease of use, playability, peripherals such as the APCs and Launchpad all fit into "control over the music" which was mentioned in the OP. Logic is killer for the price it is now though, it's a very capable program even though I really don't get along with it at all.

The lessons that come with Live are great as well, especially for someone who isn't a power user yet and wants to learn to get the most from the program.

On the subject of reverbs, the ones that come with both programs are very good in my opinion. I particularly like the sound of the Live reverb on Hi Quality mode.

rharris07
Expert Member
Expert Member
Band: Ghost Fires, The Witch Family

Post by rharris07 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:34 am

Thank you guys for all the info - I really think I'm going to purchase Logic at this point and do all I can to learn it. Maybe down the road I can throw in some plug-ins.

About the sampler included in Logic...does it allow to apply all kinds of effects to the samples? Can I chop them up? Or is it extremely basic?

I had a plug-in at one point that worked with almost all DAWs - it processed incoming audio through an effects unit that allowed you to chop the h**l out of the music...you could apply 7 or 8 kinds of effects at any random time. I cannot remember the name of it at all - I just remember that the look of it was VERY colorful. I wish I could find it again to use or something like it, it was very helpful!

MEK | SixTrak | DrumTraks | Motif 8 | DW8000 | MicroKorg | EMX1 & ESX1 | Soviet TOM | Arp Quartet | SD-1 32V | Elka 490 | Indigo 2 | E6400 | Morpheus | SQ2 | DotCom Modular

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:55 am

I believe you're talking about dBlue Glitch which is windows only.

For mac there is effectrix http://www.sugar-bytes.de/content/produ ... /index.php

and iZotope Stutter (more live performance which is cool) http://www.izotope.com/products/audio/stutteredit/

As far as whether or not you can chop samples yeah of course you can, it'd be easier to just do that in an audio track rather instead though. Just chop and move around in the actual audio channels instead of bothering to chop then sequence in the sampler.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm

For more normal reverb usage I use Reflecktor with impulses from the bricasti m7 hardware unit gotten for free off samplicity.

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-i ... responses/
Thank you for this, these sound greeeeeeeat and I can delete almost all my other reverb VSTs.
Killed my lust for rackmount reverb for now.