Analog Copression for electronic music

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
b3groover
Band: THEO

Re: Analog Copression for electronic music

Post by b3groover » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:13 am

technicsman1 wrote:No I do use a computer with cubase for arrangement. I'd be looking for a hardware compressor around 1200$, maybe a second hand one? Def want to avoid pulg ins as I spend a lot of time getting sounds from analog synth and use analog effects.....want to avoid digitally processing the audio as much as poss! I know.....I'm weird
So are you recording into Cubase or just using it as a sequencer and recording the synths on analog tape? Because if it is the former (recording into Cubase), you would have to compress everything going in and then be stuck with that or else run through another round of DA/AD conversion in order to use an analog compressor after it is recorded.

And of course once the audio is digitized, using plug-ins isn't going to necessarily make it "more digital". It's already digital. There are some really great sounding compressor plug-ins available, as people have suggested in this thread. Don't fear the bits! :)
Last edited by b3groover on Tue May 15, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cumulus
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Cumulus

Post by Cumulus » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:18 pm

How 'bout the Keeley compressor? Has anyone here used that?

kyodai

Post by kyodai » Tue May 15, 2012 6:20 pm

I always suggest the FMR RNC. http://www.fmraudio.com/rnc.htm it runs about $200. I have one and love it, I may get another. here's what their site has to say:

RNC OVERVIEW
The RNC is a high-fidelity, stereo compressor intended to provide dynamic range control with minimal side effects. The RNC achieves such high performance at a low cost by using evolutionary advances in digital technology, coupled with the best analog has to offer. Using digital controls and an all-analog signal path, the RNC offers accurate, precise controls and a clean tonal character.

The RNC provides two modes of operation: normal and SuperNice TM. Normal mode allows the RNC to be used for everyday compression tasks, like punchy snare drums or bass guitars, and is great for everything from gentle compression to serious squashing. SuperNice mode provides near-invisible signal compression for sensitive material where compression artifacts are less desirable (like vocals, acoustic guitar or the program bus).

HOW IT SOUNDS
In a word: transparent. The RNC yields clean, airy compression with few artifacts and little high end loss, even at massive gain reduction. This amazing performance is why many professionals are calling the RNC one of the best sounding compressors for under $2000 (and with a MSRP of $199 US , it's way under two grand).

Bath House

Post by Bath House » Thu May 17, 2012 9:30 pm

Get an RNLA. The RNC sounds too clean for what you're after, which is not actual "signal control" but a specific color to the sound when compressing. The RNLA sounds colored and imparts its own thick/mildly distorted tone instead of not coloring the audio, while the RNC controls the signal really well "like a hand riding a fader" without changing anything about the sound you're running through it.

http://www.fmraudio.com/rnla.htm

I have two distressors and love them, but I paid $1350 each. Best purchase I ever made for my setup, but clearly out of the range of what you want to pay at the moment!

krushing
Gear: Doepfer Dark Energy, Nord Lead 3R, Waldorf MicroQ, Acidlab Bassline 3, Roland TR-606
Band: Salaneuvosto

Post by krushing » Wed May 23, 2012 10:35 am

Anyone with experience of the Overstayer stuff? They look nice, the price is nice and most of what I've come across about them seems to be positive. Seems like a good option for us with somewhat lower budgets.