BEST EFFECTS UNITS

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Skiroy

BEST EFFECTS UNITS

Post by Skiroy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:11 pm

Hey guys as some of you know I am knew to the analog world. I have an absolutely love my OBXA and added a MS-20 and Voyager. The thing I noticed listened to records is although these synths are awesome they often need effects to really make them fit in a mix. I have tried alot of in the box stuff and some is great but I really want something that sounds as official and great to go with my synths. I am am intrested in what your favorite effects units are. I would also use it for my keyboard strings and piano to make them more realistic sounding.

I currently have the MPX-110 and it is okay but not great. I have heard alot about the Eventide H3000 and PCM 41/32.

I know the h3000 is more of a reverb unit so I would have to add a separate delay unit like the pcm 41/42.

But the idea of the PCM 81 being stereo and the fact that I can effects like running a delay into a reverb without patching cables is attractive. But my number one concern is sound then everything else.

What do you guys think?

Is the h3000 and pcm 41 combo a warmer analog sound while the pcm 81 is a cleaner modern sound?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: BEST EFFECTS UNITS

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:14 am

Skiroy wrote:Hey guys as some of you know I am knew to the analog world. I have an absolutely love my OBXA and added a MS-20 and Voyager. The thing I noticed listened to records is although these synths are awesome they often need effects to really make them fit in a mix. I have tried alot of in the box stuff and some is great but I really want something that sounds as official and great to go with my synths. I am am intrested in what your favorite effects units are. I would also use it for my keyboard strings and piano to make them more realistic sounding.

I currently have the MPX-110 and it is okay but not great. I have heard alot about the Eventide H3000 and PCM 41/32.

I know the h3000 is more of a reverb unit so I would have to add a separate delay unit like the pcm 41/42.
The H3000 is a delay/multieffect unit. It has reverb presets but they're made of smeared multitap delays. Also none of these sound 'realistic' so they won't help your strings or piano in that regard. If you want a realistic-ish reverb then get a PCM91.
But the idea of the PCM 81 being stereo and the fact that I can effects like running a delay into a reverb without patching cables is attractive. But my number one concern is sound then everything else.

What do you guys think?

Is the h3000 and pcm 41 combo a warmer analog sound while the pcm 81 is a cleaner modern sound?
They're all digital, so while you might say one was subjectively 'warmer' than another none of them are analogue. The PCM81 came out 14 or so years ago so I wouldn't exactly call it modern, but it's cleaner sounding than the PCM41 or H3000.

Personally if I were you I'd be looking at an Eventide Eclipse for multifx/synthetic reverbs and a PCM91 for lush, more realistic reverbs. The H3000 is cool and cheaper than an Eclipse but they're getting pretty long in the tooth now and I wouldn't trust them to not need money spent on servicing them in the near future. The Eclipse can do a lot more as well, although it doesn't have that particular grungy AD conversion that the H3000 has.

There's heaps of other cool things on the market though, don't discount the Eventide Timefactor/Pitchfactor/Space combo for doing very amazing sounding stuff for not much money. I have both a Timefactor and an Eclipse and keep thinking about picking up a Space even though the Eclipse can do everything it can do, just because the Timefactor is so nice for dialing in exactly the sound you want with its knobs.

Skiroy

Post by Skiroy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:44 am

what about A PCM 70 and PCM 42 combo? I hear the PCM 70 has that grungy analoge sound but can it do good tape and digital delays? And can it do delay>reverb chains so I wouldnt have tp rewire the Pcm 42 into the Pcm 70?

What is the big thing with the pcm 41/42s? I can find any sound clips or youtube vids on it?

philip

Post by philip » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:16 am

Сan you recommend an AMS RMX 16 as a main reverb effect processor, anyone had experience with them?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:55 am

Skiroy wrote:what about A PCM 70 and PCM 42 combo? I hear the PCM 70 has that grungy analoge sound but can it do good tape and digital delays? And can it do delay>reverb chains so I wouldnt have tp rewire the Pcm 42 into the Pcm 70?
Where do you hear that, in demos or just reading internet forums? I think you should listen to them for yourself to make up your own mind, all these options sound good in their own way. BTW they're all digital, so I don't know where you're getting the idea that they're 'analogue sounding' from.
What is the big thing with the pcm 41/42s? I can find any sound clips or youtube vids on it?
I don't know, you're the one who keeps mentioning it.

bhrama
Gear: Sub 37, TR8, Streichfett, Tempest, P6
Band: Grit Lapse, Mangkind

Post by bhrama » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:57 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:There's heaps of other cool things on the market though, don't discount the Eventide Timefactor/Pitchfactor/Space combo for doing very amazing sounding stuff for not much money.
While I'd drop my Eventide Stompers for the their better rack mounter Big Brothers, I had a budget to maintain like most here do. The Time/Mod/Pitch-Factors are really great bang for the buck. Add the Space and you've got some serious sonic exploration and enhancement to your synths, not to mention portablility.

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:32 pm

What I'm going to recommend is quite far outside the box, but if you are a fan of kind of "grungy", lo-fi-but-interesting effects, then you might like this.

I would say my favorite effects I ever used were in the Boss SP-303 sampler. It's got about 21 effects, and most of them are very interesting to use in conjunction with analog synths. You have your standard Reverb, Delay, Compressor, etc, and then some wild ones like Isolator, Slicer, Vinyl Simulation, Tremolo/auto-pan, Flanger, Radio Simulation, etc. Yes, it's very limited in terms of what you can get out of it, i.e. there are only 3 knobs per effect. Don't buy one if you plan on using 50 different kinds of reverb, you simply don't get that with the 303. But what you do get is pretty awesome for synths. I've sold mine for some stupid reason, but there was a time when I used the 303 as sort of a preamp for my Roland MV-8800, so all the synths would be ran through that little box. It was great. It's a very creative piece of gear that just inspires creativity when you use it. Might not be exactly what you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone else reading this thread that might be into this kind of thing...

Don T
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland SH-09, Korg Polysix, Moog Rogue, Realistic MG-1, Paia Fatman, Korg Monotron, and of course, my main instrument: Trumpet!

Post by Don T » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 pm

Thou Shalt Acquire a Roland Space Echo. I recommend the RE-201
Don Taylor

Master of no trades, practitioner of many.
(Basically, this means I know just enough about a lot of things to get myself in real trouble)

HH

Post by HH » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:34 am

alesis midiverb 2 and some stereo hardware or software delay and you'll get there

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:51 am

I think *insert guitar pedal here* Work rather well, definitely experiment around with both cheapo and high priced pedals to see which you like a lot. However if I have to brand bash, I blacklist Line6 products for good reason so I'll chase you away from that brand only. Multieffects are also a worth while investment if your not afraid to spend a little time working with them.
The zoom 606's are a great start, Digitech floorboard effects are usually worth their salt too. Boss GX-700 and SE-50 are classics for both guitar, vocal and synth effects. Another option is to use software...

If you want something overdone (yeah I went there) there's always the Electro Harmonix Small clone, big muff pi, and MXR phaser... Honestly try it with guitar effects and see how far it gets you... unless you want distortion, then feel free to try bass effects to saturate it properly.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Jun 19, 2012 12:00 pm

I think you were using either s**t plugins or had very little concept of what to do if you were having trouble with ITB verbs and delays. If you're just using it as mix glue I can't imagine ever having difficulty using ITB verbs.

trevordutton
Gear: Polivoks, FR XS, MS20, MEK, Blue Lantern modular, DRM MK111, Waldorf Pulse, Mini and Microbrutes, Analog filters galore

Post by trevordutton » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:37 am

Plus one for Eventide pedals. Also the TC Electronic Fireworx is an excellent hardware multieffects rack unit.

MFPhouse

Post by MFPhouse » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:34 pm

Eventide
MFPhouse Music @ Last.fm, Facebook and Youtube

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:03 pm

just figured out how to use my boss de-200 digital delay as a super rich sounding flanger any of the similar 80's rack delays w modulation are fun, boss DE, SDE. ibanez DM, lexicon PCM, effectron units. midiverbs can be fun for cheap...

im noticing a lot of older setups/clubs have yamaha spx90/990s and they still fetch good money whats the hype with these?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:30 am

SPX90 is a great sounding box, incredibly reliable, quiet and really easy to use. You see them a lot in clubs because they don't break. It's the SM57 of effects units. Price has been stable at around €150 for years.
Stab Frenzy wrote:The H3000 is a delay/multieffect unit. It has reverb presets but they're made of smeared multitap delays. Also none of these sound 'realistic' ...
The only reason you know that is because Eventide allowed the user complete control of the algorithms. Nothing hidden. No one else built their UI like that. All algorithmic reverbs are made with lots of delays combined, but you don't get to access all of the parameters.

The H3000 does sound really really good! I only ever used one once, and I preferred how the reverb sounded compared to the Lexicon 480L (which is also lovely, and kinda fake but not as much). But then I like fake sounding reverb- I just acquired an Alesis Quadraverb+, used one a lot years ago, and I forgot that it sounds really great!

But you're right, the OP does need to listen to a few. Or better (as tekkentool said) learn how to programme a reverb to make it sit up and beg, ITB or OTB. And stop believing all the c**p about anaLOG in the tinterweb. Reverbs are digital!! Maybe he needs a plate...

Now I'm off to make IRs of the Quadraverb+...