Which studio monitors should I buy?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
madmarkmagee
Gear: King Korg
ESQ-1
Reface DX
Microbrute
Shruthi-1
Pittsburgh System-1
Juno 106 (needs work)

Re: Which studio monitors should I buy?

Post by madmarkmagee » Sun Jul 22, 2012 5:15 pm

Haha, thanks for the advice, really appreciate it...

Ended up buying the rolands just before madtheory advised against them, should arrive tommorow so we'll find out what they're like... /:

All came down to being able to fit on my desk with the sub on the floor... And the fact that apparently they are hard to damage with weird frequencies at high levels... They also boasted a full frequency response. So they seemed the best bang for my buck.. Plus the Krk 5's seem to get bagged so.... Probably the wrong decision.. But I'm not the type that's that fussed... We will see haha

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50, JV-1080
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon Aug 27, 2012 10:34 am

Last week I bought Yamaha HS50 for my new home studio. So far I'm very pleased with the results!

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:09 pm

They're nice speakers alright. I've had mine since 2006 and they've never let me down.

Jay944

Post by Jay944 » Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:30 pm

My personal favorites are the m-audio BX5a. I've spent quite some time in a decent room a/b-ing monitors and they're the closest to the Neumann / Klein & Hummel KH120 which have my preference in the upper range.

KRK Rokit would be a close second to the BX5a, still, I find them to be lacking in the midrange. The Yamaha HS50 are IMHO overly harsh in the high end and are lacking detail and precision in the lower range.

Tests were done again recently for a music buddy who needed monitors at my place as well as in the shop, via an Apogee Duet 2 and an UA Apollo, which confirmed my previous experience.