Studio monitors for p.a. ?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Studio monitors for p.a. ?

Post by edfunction » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:27 pm

Hi.

I am doing a party on the weekend and am having trouble sorting a p.a.

It's in a relatively small room doing machine based house-techno plus a dj. I have some behringer truth 2031's that can get pretty loud, just wondering if anyone has experience using studio speakers for parties. If so, any things to be concerned about? avoid? don't do it?

Hair

Re: Studio monitors for p.a. ?

Post by Hair » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:27 pm

I've done it with cheapie fostex's (plus a roland keyboard amp for a bit of extra beef) and seen it done with.. either genelecs or dynaudios

it'll be a little weird since studio monitors are super direction based - might be based to elevate them above crowd level. either way make sure they're out of harm's way, not a huge deal with behringers I guess, but one of the dyns/genny's didn't make it through that party :(

other than that, as long as they don't sound like they're getting destroyed, should be fine!

edfunction
Gear: sh-101, monomachine, nordmodular, esx1, nova, jx3p, jx8p, prophet vs, dx200

Post by edfunction » Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:44 pm

yes the narrow field could be a bit crappy.

haha, i'm not too stressed about keeping the speakers safe, but obviously better not to kill them. or is it?

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:29 am

It's according. Do you want to use your monitors again afterwards?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:57 am

The 2031s won't be loud enough for a party unless everyone shuts up while you're playing. They also have a built in limiter which makes everything sound terrible when you try to make them go loud. My band used to use them for practice in a fairly small room years ago. They probably won't die due to the limiter.

edfunction

Post by edfunction » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:08 pm

after some drama i ended up sorting out a PA after all, it seemed to c**p to use my behringers.