Good FX pedals for my synths?

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Good FX pedals for my synths?

Post by ryryoftokyo » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:14 pm

In my live rig I'm using a microKorg, Yamaha AN1x, Zoom RT-123, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Yamaha DX7, Korg Poly 61, and a Roland JX8P.

I tend to leave the AN1x and MKG without FX since they do have some already built in. The Zoom goes through a circuit bent distortion which adds a foldover type distortion to it. As for the Juno, DX7, P61, and JX8P I am at a loss.

I've tried a few things on the others, but nothing seems to stick. Suggestions?
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Re: Good FX pedals for my synths?

Post by Rick N Boogie » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:59 pm

Effects in music is like seasoning in food. Very personal, and everyone likes something different. You could use an all-in-one rack unit, or stomp boxes, but it really boils down to what sounds best to you, and exactly what types of fx you want. Of course, you can never go wrong with a good digital delay.
Bassist, synth junkie

jereopaq

Post by jereopaq » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:38 am

Yeah I agree. A good digital delay will be fun as well as a compression/sustain pedal. I use stomp boxes in my rig cuz it's much easier to switch synths in and out and change the effects pathway.
I use a boss cs3 and dd6 as well as a rat distortion pedal. The rat is pretty sweet in that it has a filter knob.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:05 am

Totally depends on what you want and how much you've got to spend. Ensoniq DP-4 is a good choice, Eventide Space and Timefactor is a good combo too. I use a Timefactor, Eventide Eclipse and MF-104Z as my effects for my synths, as well as the effects that are part of my modular.

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:58 am

I suppose I'd like a good phaser, trying to figure out whether to use analog or digital delay, a decent compressor, what kind of EQ to get, and a distortion that doesn't decimate my sound, but isn't super polite.

I go in between three projects. The first is an electro project where I make use of my boards. It's inspired by bands like Daft Punk, The Faint, Paperclip People, Kraftwerk, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode etc.

The second is a kraut rock type project inspired by Tangerine Dream, Klaus Schulze, Tangerine Dream, Ash Ra, and other ambient weirdo stuff.

The third is a power electronics band. Not much to say on that. f**k loads of distortion and way overdone modulation.

Hope that helps.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Miles Powerhouse

Post by Miles Powerhouse » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:46 am

Here's something awesome you can do with a Poly-61 and Distortion (skip to 3:47 to hear it):

Man, I am SOOOO jealous of that solo! (and I'm pretty sure the wonderful musician who wrote and performed that is on this forum. Hope you see this!) It looks like he's using a SansAmp GT2. Good <$200 just lookin' around. Might be what you're looking for in your first and third projects?

I'm not an expert at pedals, so I'm not much help here other than this. Good luck with your search!

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:58 pm

I hadn't thought of overdrive on my Poly 61 for some reason. I'm usually not an overdrive guy, but this makes a case for it's use. Now to catch up on everything I've ignored about overdrive.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:12 pm

Eventide, Strymon, Electro Harmonix. All good business for synths. 8-)

ryryoftokyo

Post by ryryoftokyo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 am

Hybrid88 wrote:Eventide, Strymon, Electro Harmonix. All good business for synths. 8-)
I've always felt like an Electric Mistress would do some lovely things on the old analog polys.

syntheticsolutions
Gear: Rhodes 78 Mk2, Jupiter 4, Juno 6, MS-10, CS-15, Opus 3, Machinedrum, RE-501, Roland Rack
Band: Lunar Modular

Post by syntheticsolutions » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Phasers and Tape Delay are my weapons of choice!

Phasers are incredible for achieving that luscious 70's movement on a still or otherwise strict poly synth patch.

Tape delay has so much character on every repeat and more often than not, each individual repeat is different to the last making your effect very natural and charming to the ear. Another plus side to units such as the space echos and some others is the addition of a spring reverb. By turning off the initial signal and letting the reverb and tape delay reign through, you can really transform a dry sound.
Replicants are like any other machine, they're either a benefit or a hazard. If they're a benefit, its not my problem.

GoodwillFalcon
Gear: MG-1, Monotribe(Altitude MIDI), Casio MT-100, Casio VL-1, Axiom25, Yamaha RX21.
Band: Goodwill Falcon

Post by GoodwillFalcon » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

For me an analog delay (EHX Memory Toy!) is the way to go, because it can easily serve the function of a reverb wash as well as a rhythmic echo. I think analog delay is more versitile in that way, since the repeats havetheir own tone, not just copies of the original signal.

I have a EHX Holy Grail nano set up on my MG-1 for leads, and it works beautifully.

Those kinds of pedals are pretty easy to find for $50 or so on Craigslist most of the time.

So what are you guys using compression pedals for? Just to keep the volumes consistant between patches? I use an MXR Dynacomp on my guitar rig, but I dont think the attack that thing creates would work well with synth.

GuyaGuy
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: YES PLEASE!

Post by GuyaGuy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:06 am

GoodwillFalcon wrote:For me an analog delay (EHX Memory Toy!) is the way to go, because it can easily serve the function of a reverb wash as well as a rhythmic echo. I think analog delay is more versitile in that way, since the repeats havetheir own tone, not just copies of the original signal.

I have a EHX Holy Grail nano set up on my MG-1 for leads, and it works beautifully.

Those kinds of pedals are pretty easy to find for $50 or so on Craigslist most of the time.

So what are you guys using compression pedals for? Just to keep the volumes consistant between patches? I use an MXR Dynacomp on my guitar rig, but I dont think the attack that thing creates would work well with synth.
A mixer would possibly be better for that but for compressing I use a Real Nice Comressor. Not a pedal but it is, well, real nice for synths and has 2 ins/outs for your stereo synths or effects.

groy

Post by groy » Thu May 09, 2013 8:12 pm

I wish this thread were more active: http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewt ... 12&t=32946
More short demos of guitar pedals and FX boxes used with synths would be a great reference, especially seeing that folks here seem to collect, sell, and know pretty cool looking and esoteric ones as well as all the more common ones. Basic or appropriate patch dry, then put the pedal through it's paces, though i know the sound files can get moved or taken down over time.

vvd
Gear: dde, micron, emu romplers

Post by vvd » Wed May 15, 2013 11:00 am

I wouldn't want to make music without some sort of tape delay anymore. These add so much depth, wow and glue to synths (or anything) it's not even funny. So - if I could only have one FX, some knobby (accessable) tape delay would be it (I use the Strymon El Capistan - highly recommended).

zmd
Gear: ion, djx, su200, fb01, sk50d, dotcom, kodyssey, volcas, minibrute, minilogue, tg33, 522, streichfett, monotrons, cp35
Band: Shrimp ring/usse/wrote/usurper

Post by zmd » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:34 am

my fave pedals are ones that add whats missing to a synth
i tend to use a CS-01 with pedal a lot

it goes into a moogerfooger ring mod, a line6 filter modeler, a boss slicer and finally a line6 delay modeler
that's not dirt, that's chili sauce!