Quick interface question...

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
winnebago

Quick interface question...

Post by winnebago » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:28 am

I've been looking for a new audio interface with as many inputs as possible and also must be USB not FireWire. The best option I could find around my budget was the focusrite Scarlett 18i6.

After looking around more I wondered if a USB mixer such as a Allen and Heath zed 14 would do the same job? I'm just abit confused as to what would be different apart from the mixer not having midi ins and outs, which I could get another box to do.

All I'm doing is recording my audio from synths into ableton.

Hope this makes sense.

Cheers

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re: Quick interface question...

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:33 pm

What is your budget?

The 18i6 only has 18 inputs if you have an 8 channel adat converter and a two channel spdif converter or a synth that has a spdif output. If you've just got analogue outputs then it's just an 8 channel interface, so that might make a difference to you.

The A&H zed mixers can only record two channels at a time and the converter quality isn't as good as the focusrite IMO. Think of them as an analogue mixer with a cheap two channel sound card built in.

I think the focusrites are good for the money, I use an octopre for extra inputs with my RME. If you got the focusrite you could add another 8 inputs to it later on with a secondhand presonus or focusrite or other adat converter.

vicd
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Blofeld, Formanta (EMS01, Maestro, Mini), Fusion 8HD, JD800, Morpheus, MP7, Plugiator, TG77, TOM1501, TR626, UltraProteus, V-Synth XT
Band: ROBOPOP

Post by vicd » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:51 pm

This summer I was on a hunt for a USB mixer recording all inputs, if that fits you - check for
  • Alesis Multimix (USB 2.0 versions)
  • Edirol M-16DX (you can still find them on ebay, maybe even under $350);
  • TASCAM-M164UF;
  • and, surprisingly, the Phonic Helix family.
Happy with an Edirol M-16DX.

I don't like the drums, but the drums like me!

winnebago

Post by winnebago » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Well I didnt really want to spend more than £300 and the focusrite scarllett is around £240 so I think after reading what you said it seems to make sense to get that and add extra inputs later if I need them.

My ultranova has spdif so that frees up 2 inputs I think?

Also space is an issue for me so a small interface V's a mixing desk is a no contest. Need as much space as possible for new synths, after xmas and new year im gonna be buying alot more hopefully.

Cheers for the help guys.

synthroom
Gear: Fairlight IIx(!), JP-8, D-50, S-50+550, S-760, JX-3P, JD-800, EII, Emax II, Mini, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1, Pro-One, Performer, K1m, K5m, few other things.

Post by synthroom » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:17 pm

Look into the Tascam US-1800:
http://tascam.com/product/us-1800/

It's USB 2.0 and has 16 audio inputs - 8 of them XLR, 6 balanced TRS 1/4", and 2 SPDIF, and a MIDI in and out as well.

On sale at Guitar Center for $225 I see. Not sure what they run over the the UK.

I have on that I bought to hook 4 mixers all with XLR out into it so I could get stuff into my computer. It works nicely. I liked it so much, that I bought a second one only to find out that Windows does not like more that one USB sound interface at a time... :^( So I ended up selling the second one. But I still have the first one going.

Kirk
Fairlight IIx (Mid-Life Crisis - cheaper than a Corvette!)
Roland JP-8, D-50, S-50, S-550(2x), S-760(2x), JX-3P, JD-800
EII, Emax II, Minimoog, ARP 2600, P-5 Rev.1 (broken...), Pro-One, Crumar Performer, K1m, K5m, MS-2000B, Virus KC, a few other things.