Mic preamp questions

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Mic preamp questions

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi!

I have just bought a Behringer MIC200 'tube ultragain' preamp. I have yet to buy a condenser mic to go with it.

My question is, should I connect the output of the preamp to the MIC input of my Terratec DMX 6-Fire PC soundcard or to its LINE input?

Also, is the tube/valve supposed to glow as it does in the 'official' photos of the device (see below)? Mine certainly doesn't!

Thanks,

Gilles

GC

themilford
Gear: Oberheim SYSTEM: OB8, DSX, DMX, DXa, Moog Taurus 3, Fender Bass IV LH (CS), Rickenbacker 620/6 (LH), Crumar Trilogy needing major repair.
Band: Season Finale

Re: Mic preamp questions

Post by themilford » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:51 pm

You will want to use the "LINE" input.

Also the tube should have a tiny bit of glow above and below it's plates... these are the tube's 6.3v heaters. but no it won't glow as much as the graphic displays... and if it does you know you have a problem. ;-)

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:58 pm

A preamp brings mic level to line level, so you'll want to go into the line input. And you won't see your tube glow as shown in the ad.

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:44 pm

code green wrote:A preamp brings mic level to line level, so you'll want to go into the line input. And you won't see your tube glow as shown in the ad.
Thanks for the replies, guys. So 'line in' it will be.

Regarding the glow, I have done a little research on the web about this and it looks as though Behringer and other manufacturers have been simulating tube glow with LEDs on several tube devices so I'll do without it!!!

Thanks again,

Gilles
GC