It's dat time again. (Interfaces)

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

It's dat time again. (Interfaces)

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:02 pm

So my trusty (read: s**t) Us-144 bought ages ago has finally carked it. I'm in the market for a decent audio interface and I don't want to cheap out this time...Right now I'm only sitting on a C214 and an SM57 so I'm not crazy worried about inputs right now. Just more interested in quality, buying a pair of MK-12's or something for stereo recording later. I'm mainly interested in:

-Stable windows drivers
-High quality pre's
-Decent headphone amp (It takes a bit to get my K702's into decent amplitude)

So far I'm looking at the RME babyface based on the excellent reputation for sound quality, the ability to expand via adat actually really intrigues me too.

Anybody had any experience with these products, or some decent different suggestions in the price range. Basically right now I only need to do stereo recording though and quality (both of build and product) are the premium here.

Thanks.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Re: It's dat time again. (Interfaces)

Post by spookyman » Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 pm

As far as you are working with a PC based environnement, i would go for the RME Fireface UC. The windows drivers are really good, the preamps are more than useable. The headphone power is the problem on almost every audio interface.

At home, i have a SPL 2Control, and i'm using it as a high quality volume controler for my PSI Audio monitors and subwoofer, and as a headphone amp for my K701, incl. Crossfeeding function to simulate a monitor situation on headphones ! And you have a plenty of power for your headphones (there are 2 outputs for them).

The other audio interface that have a good quality are made mostly for Mac environnement, like Apogee, Metric Halo, etc...

I dont know the new Focusrite Forte, perhaps it's also good working.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)

Post by tekkentool » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:42 pm

Yeah that's what I heard, I can't really afford to spend QUITE fireface UC money but apparently the babyface has the same converters and preamps in it. The UC would be my first choice but I can't weather the price tag. I'm a student and I've still got other stuff on the cards. A babyface with something like an Octopre can give me a lot more simultaneous inputs for the price while still having two really nice pre's.

Looks like RME is the way to go though :thumbright:

Also yeah, looks like I'll be needing a headphone amp as usual haha. I love my K702's but jesus christ they are a pain when it comes to driving them, they're not really good out and about headphones either... :D Any suggestions for lower priced headphone amps? I've been meaning to try these out for a while.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Jan 24, 2013 2:28 am

It might be worth stretching for the UC as it'll work out cheaper in the long run. Buy from Factory Sound in Melbourne and you'll get a really good price, plus Australian warranty.

I've found the headphone amp on my UFX is powerful enough to run any headphones, the only time I use an amp is if I need to run more than two sets/mixes.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by tekkentool » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:03 am

Haha please don't try and make me think about the UC...I'm currently moving interstate, having to find a new job, new place to live AND I'm starting UNI so...err...I'll think about it I guess...

With a babyface and an ADAT breakout box I can still be under the price of the UC and be getting lots of inputs and decent quality...has anybody used some of the lower end ADAT breakout boxes like the octopre, I'm not expecting amazing quality but it'd be handy for expanding on it later.I know it's a long term investment kind of thing, but I need the replacement short term.

Oh well I'll call those guys in melb for the prices soon as they're not on the website.