Moving from MPC based sequencing to Cubase - need help.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Re: Moving from MPC based sequencing to Cubase - need help.

Post by tekkentool » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:22 am

Zmeinogorsk wrote:
Such a difficult choice, anyone using reaper as their sequencer/DAW for all their synth gear?
Nope, sequencing in Reaper's piano roll from the 1950's is a bit of a chore IMO.

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:22 pm

tekkentool wrote:
Zmeinogorsk wrote:
Such a difficult choice, anyone using reaper as their sequencer/DAW for all their synth gear?
Nope, sequencing in Reaper's piano roll from the 1950's is a bit of a chore IMO.
Haha, fair nuff. Is there even a way to dump my MIDI work in progress from my MPC 60 (or any MPC really) to my DAW and arrange accordingly? Surely there must be a way, but I am too much of a n00b to grasp such complexities.

ninja6485
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus Ti, Jx-8p, Juno 60, Radias, Maschine, 101,303,606,707,727,808,909, odyssey, mirage, akai s5K/s2K/s1k, drumtraks, E6400ult, M1R, rx5, fizmo,d50
Band: Lyra, The Sun Worshipers

Post by ninja6485 » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:47 pm

You should be able to just conect the midi outs to your interface, sync the bpm and then hit record on the daw midi tracks and play on the mpc and transfer the information that way if nothing else works.
This looks like a psychotropic reaction. No wonder it's so popular...

spektRe

Post by spektRe » Mon Feb 04, 2013 4:51 am

in the long run. couldn't he make .mid files in cubase, save them to a floppy, then load the .mid files on the mp60? he would have easier arrangement from cubase and the solid sequencer from the mpc.

i hope you can do stuff like that. bought a mpc2000 in hopes that i could.

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:50 am

ninja6485 wrote:You should be able to just conect the midi outs to your interface, sync the bpm and then hit record on the daw midi tracks and play on the mpc and transfer the information that way if nothing else works.
You mean take the MIDI outs of all my synths that are being used and record their MIDI out, or do you mean from my MPC? What about for my synths with only an IN (Polysix with retrofit etc...) Thanks for your help. :D

frantic

Post by frantic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:45 am

Hi,

I think whatever DAW you decide to move forward with you will be amazed at the flexibility and depth of programming available to you one you get over the initial hurdle of the initial learning curve ( which will be vey steep) Ableton is a wonderful program that is extremely intuitive and links well to the way you have been used to working, Cubase however is a different beats altogether!It's hugely complex and offers a multitude of ways for to work and develop your creative ideas. There are pro's and cons to ALL DAW's so go and have a look at them all if you can an try and get under the skin of them before you choose. I have friends who swear by Logic and others who wouldn't go near it! Have you had a look at Reason? That re wires really well in to most top end DAW software. Don't be put of by a your initial difficulties in using any software as they are hugely complex applications and will take you awhile to get used to. Good luck and enjoy!!!

Sequencing, Sampling and Recording all in one package...technology liberating the creative mind.

nogginj

Post by nogginj » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:49 pm

Plug them midi cables from your mpc into your computer and record the midi. you can then this recorded midi to your synths.

Personally coming from a mpc 60 you might be pretty disappointed with software. I still prefer to work on an mpc for sequencing.

Zmeinogorsk

Post by Zmeinogorsk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 am

Just got a MOTU 128 MIDI timepiece thing, and have started to teach myself sequencing basics in REAPER. It's not too bad actually, although I know it's not REAPER's forte. Nice change of pace being able to drag and drop, although the ideas tend to not "flow" as fast as with my MPC. And the MPC60 had such amazing quantization, that made my shoddy playing somehow better.

Now if only I could get my Juno 106 and Polysix back from being repaired I could really get cooking.

bluntedcircuit
Gear: machinedrum, mpc1000, blofeld, maschine, kp3, esq1, ms20, ableton

Post by bluntedcircuit » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 pm

What specifically are you looking to gain from using a DAW?

I just ask because if I were you id keep the MPC, they play pretty nicely with DAWs. Right now I'm using my mpc1000 as the master clock and to control a couple of drum racks in ableton. The transport controls are also recognized by ableton, so I'm able to use the MPCs jog wheel to scroll thru abletons arrangement view. Its pretty capable as a controller.