Analog delay pedal recommendation.

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Darkseid

Analog delay pedal recommendation.

Post by Darkseid » Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:28 pm

I'm looking for an analog delay mainly for use with my bass station 2, it will be used live and in the studio.

I would not really want to spend anymore than £200/$300 ish. Can't afford the moogerfooger delay unfortunately :(

Would love to hear anybody's suggestions.

Cheers.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Re: Analog delay pedal recommendation.

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:38 pm

Can of worms truly opened... loads to choose from, used/new... personal favourites are the DOD FX90 (and generally old crappy cheap ones for mucking around with in a noisy way) but I quite liked the EHX Memory Boy for a while. Kind of regret selling it, but I put the money towards an EHX Deluxe Memory Man w/Tap Tempo (1100 model) so all is not lost.

I use the Strymon El Capistan mostly though. Not analogue, but a good tape echo sim, and very flexible.

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:47 pm

The one ive been looking at most is the memory boy, not really sure why though. I will check out the El Capistan.

Hope this isnt a stupid question but when it says true bypass for a pedal does it really sound exactly the same as if its not going through the pedal at all?

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:34 pm

I had a Memory Boy, didn't like it so I sold it pretty quick. Does that analogue delay 'one repeat until it turns into a squall of feedback' thing. I have an MF-104Z which is amazing, but that's out of your price range. A secondhand one might only be a little more than you're looking to spend though, and would be totally worth it because it's one of the best sounding delays ever made.

Also in your price range should be a couple of great rack units, the Yamaha E1005 and E1010, the Boss DM-100 and the Ibanez AD-202. A bit bigger than a pedal but sound great, the Yamahas in particular are underrated classics.

You should also be able to get the new Minifooger delay or that price, is it out yet?

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:45 pm

I really should just save for a MF-104Z :lol:

I will check out the rack units you mentioned. Open to any suggestions so keep em coming :)

I think I read somewhere that the minifooger delay has been pushed back because of some reason or another, not entirely sure on that though, otherwise I would pick one up straight away.

EDIT: While im on the subject of fx, does anybody also have any good suggestions for a decent reverb around the same price (£200/$300)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:46 am

+1 for the yamaha E1005 and the dm-100, I have both and they're great. The yamaha has modulation depth and speed controls which also makes it a great box for flange and chorus sounds. The boss does have a simplified chorus function too though

In pedal form, my favourite delay I own is the Maxon ad-10. It sounds almost spot on the old Maxon/Ibanez Ad-80 which is the nicest analogue delay I've ever used.

Ned Bouhalassa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 1 old Japanese mono-monster, an old BBC Brit, and 2 Americans: one old NY fat poly, the other, a young Californian mono/para.

Post by Ned Bouhalassa » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:36 am

I love the TC Electronics' Flashback.
My music: soundcloud
My analog synth videos nedonanalog
More about me: youshootiscore

moremagic
Gear: electribe er-1, sp-303, sp-404sx, s612, nuo 2, sl-1200 mk ii, beatstep, eurorack, tb-03, vx-99

Post by moremagic » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:56 pm

the analog delay on the korg pme 40x is real groovy
and the ibanez ad-9 is pretty cool, ive got one id like to get rid of for personal reasons if youre interested

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:29 pm

Unfortunately I cant find any on ebay in UK that Stab and Monolith mentioned.

From what I have read it seems one pedal might be great for somebody but terrible for another so maybe I will just have to try a few. Its not too bad really as it seems you can pick them up fairly cheap and if I dont like it can sell it with not much loss.

Will certainly keep an eye out for the ones you guys suggested though.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:24 pm

Yeah, there are loads out there. Finding the right kind is just a case of trying lots, they have different flavours. I quite like a combination of crappy noisy grungy ones, and cleaner but not perfect. If you want perfect clean delays, get a modern digital unit, but I'm assuming that you want analogue for a reason, and that reason's likely to be a) crappiness or b) warmth (hopefully not c) fashion!), but finding the ones that do just what you like is going to be a fun haul. :)

Don't dismiss older digital units for characterful delays though - I have a pair of Digitech RDS1900 racks that are made from CMOS and memories, no CPU involved, they're 8-bit and give up to 2s of delay with CV control. Or perhaps the Boss RDD-10 or 20, which are nice half-rack boxes with about half a second of delay time. There are many others. Older digital models tend to be less pristine, which might sit with your tastes, I dunno.

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:03 pm

Wished I had £300 spare last night... Saw an mf104 sell on ebay for £275 :(

As it happens I went to a store today and had a listen to a load of delay pedals and actually picked one I didn't even think about. I went for the EHX 1 echo, a digital delay but I preferred the sound to any of the others like memory boy, flashback and carbon copy.

Got it home and it sounds great.

phesago
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: tech nine, bag of coke, an erection and a hostage

Post by phesago » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:14 am

Theres a rack mount unit that uses bbd chips thats fairly expensive but i cant remember the name... Tried it at my techs, and wouldnt mind having it. I personally use 2 mf104z(generally on the same channel).

A eventide time factor, while not analog, still is pretty badass for 300ish. Might be a godsend for cheapsies.

Darkseid

Post by Darkseid » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:34 am

I've been on the look out for an eventide space and time factor for a while but never came across anything at a price I wanted to pay yet.

I'm currently winning a Yamaha E1010 on ebay. Doesn't end for a good few days though.

Looking forward to trying a load of different fx out.

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:35 am

as a delay addict I have a few thoughts…

Analog Delays: Moog [what ever one you can find cheapest], Endangered Audio Research, Lunar Echo. I think the Memory Man Deluxe with Tap Tempo is pretty awesome too.
http://www.endangeredaudioresearch.com/ ... log-delay/
http://www.dmbpedals.com/#!pedals/vstc1=lunar-echo

Digital Delays: Distaster Transport Senior, Empress Vintage Tape Delay, Eventide and Strymon stuff. I like the El Cap.
http://earthquakerdevices.com/shop/disa ... escription
http://www.empresseffects.com/vintage-m ... delay.html

A few things I haven't checked out but am really intrigued with the Belle Epoch and the Echorec simulator that TC came out. Also super intrigued by the INFANEM's new delay pedal.

http://www.catalinbread.com/belle-features
http://www.infanem.com/small-echo-array/

Then there is the weird and awesome that I want really badly as well:
http://skychord.com/cloudbuster.html
http://redpandalab.com/products/particle/
http://www.tonefactor.com/product-p/possessed.htm
Last edited by hyphen nation on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

sequentialsoftshock
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Pro~One, MS20, MPC60, Aalto, Volca Beats, Volca Keys, Beatstep, Casio MT18, BitOne (sorta), Circle, Orbit 3, K5, Stylos, Univox Hi Flier, iPad
Band: Echo & Liora

Post by sequentialsoftshock » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:19 am

I too had a memory boy and it was s**t. Broken straight from the factory AND they charged me to have it fixed even though it had a warranty.

Boss DM3 is my favorite analog delay pedal. I banes AD202 is a sweet rack delay. I used to use them both in a chain.
bonne chance